Ryan Garcia's Mental Issues

I had terrible panic attacks in my early twenties, and it can be really crippling. Thankfully my brain chemistry settled down over time, but time is quite an enemy when you’re a young athlete.

reminder ! ! ! !
gvPjQRj.png

Maybe spending most of your day on so-called “social media”is worse for your mental health than, I don’t know, getting off your ass and actually interacting with people or doing something productive with your time?
True.

It almost seems like people want to be identified as mentally ill, is what I'm saying.

I don’t think he’s committed, he wants to make videos

Not the sport to not be 110% committed too

True.

It almost seems like people want to be identified as mentally ill, is what I'm saying.

Why do you think that is? Is it so it excuses them if/when they do dumb juvenile shit like drunk driving?

I don't think he has any real shit going on in his life but he seems pretty immature and childlike, so probably the sudden fame and shit that people say on social media is affecting him. Ryan doesn't seem like a guy who grew up struggling like most boxers so I could see petty stuff like social media really getting him down

True.

a certain portion, definitely.

there's also the fact that today's youth has a depressingly bleak future... not to mention the fact that 50 years ago when you were a teenager, many mental health issues weren't even acknowledged by society, much less dealt with.

i do agree that social media can definitely make things a lot worse for people predisposed to these issues.

I wish him the best, even if it means stepping away from the sport.

Being famous as a kid is tough on ppl, just look at the history. Some handle it well, most others don't. Not a huge fan but I hope he ends up being okay. Get to a shrink, kid.

Didn't see a thread so....

I'm sure you're well aware about Garcia's admitted mental health issues but something like this is probably layered and represents a more complex issue than the surface

combat sports is probably the last sport you want opponents knowing you are potentially mentally weak

What are the details of his mental health issues and what do they represent going forward especially his mindset going into fights knowing his opponents are well aware of these issues ?

https://www.ringtv.com/620707-ryan-...th-issues-withdraws-from-javier-fortuna-bout/

https://3kingsboxing.com/garcia-mental-health-improving/amp/

Mentally weak and mentally ill are not one in the same. (They can be, but not always). Sometimes you have a strained calf muscle and can work through it. Other times you have a torn ligament and you can't.

Fighting culture seems to have way more mental illness at play than most. Proceeding without diagnosis and care isn't mental toughness. There are musicians, athletes, and movie stars who have achieved everything and are mental messes as a result.

Garcia just lost an opportunity because he thought this was more important. Good for him. Maybe it was. Hope it was the right decision.

Mentally weak and mentally ill are not one in the same. (They can be, but not always). Sometimes you have a strained calf muscle and can work through it. Other times you have a torn ligament and you can't.

Fighting culture seems to have way more mental illness at play than most. Proceeding without diagnosis and care isn't mental toughness. There are musicians, athletes, and movie stars who have achieved everything and are mental messes as a result.

Garcia just lost an opportunity because he thought this was more important. Good for him. Maybe it was. Hope it was the right decision.
I only wrote it that way because I didn't want to write too much but I think the same

I just don't think his opponents are sophisticated enough to know the difference and will perceive this as being a mentally weak issue and will definitely do anything to make this an issue either pre fight or during the course of

He will ironically have to be mentally strong to deal with the ensuing criticism he's about to receive

True.

You remember that fight McCall wasn't faking it, he was seriously sick suffering from a Mental Illness his wife had to get him help ordered by the Court.

Mental Illness he was put in a Mental Hospital Doctors orders from the Court, his wife was scared worried because he was a mental mess. The former world heavyweight boxing champion Oliver McCall has been detained in a mental hospital after his wife took out an emergency custody order against him. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/oliver-mccall-sent-mental-hospital-1264992.html
Show less

True.

I see what you are saying and I agree that it is hard to take seriously. It’s the new trendy thing I suppose...

Not that mental illnesses aren’t a difficult cross to bear. I think a distinction should be made between kids having bouts of depression because they are going through the process of crossing into adulthood, and dealing with a clinically diagnosable psychological disease.

Back