Rupture PTSi

RamiK

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PTSi rashguards from Rupture.

Edit: After using this rashguard a few times, and switching back and forth to my old ones a couple of times, I can see this rashguard really stands on it's own. The fit is unmatched.

I finally got my rupture rashguard, PTSi that I ordered a while back. I have the old Rupture rashguard, and I have their old shorts too. A lot of people at my academy by from this brand, and generally I like their stuff. Besides the old Rupture rashguard, I also have a Hayabusa rash guard, a couple of UnderArmor Rashguards, and a few no-names I picked up at Ross

Fit:
I gained a bit of weight lately and could probably have fit in a large rather comfortably. But it still fit fine, good stretch on the material lets it be a bit forgiving on the sizing. The cut on this rashguard is very different from the last one. It seems like they got rid of the paneling from the shoulders and moved them under the arms. This gives the rashguard a very snug fit, uninterrupted by seams. Kind of “wraps around” your arms and there aren’t any seams under the armpits that chafe you when you roll.

The rashguard is long, and even though I’m a size too big (thanks to the McD’s round the corner) it still rolls down and covers my hips. Tucks pretty far under my gi pants and doesn’t roll up on me when I roll. My underarmour rashguards fail big time here (roll up constantly), I don’t even think the Hayabusa does it this well either (not as long and doesn’t stay as put). It’s like the rashguard was just glued in place.

Printing:

I got the black and grey. The colors and design are really sharp. The printing is solid. The black is a deep color and it’s black on both sides (not just dyed on one side). One of my favorite things about the rg is that the care tag is sublimated on the back of the neck, not sewn on. I think all my other rashguards have a hanging tag, which invariably end up as a serious nuisance especially on long runs (last year I did a half marathon, before they opened the McDonalds). There are a bunch of colors online but you can see that yourself, Here are some pictures of the one I have.

rupturerashguard.png

Feel:
It’s a bit hard to describe, but the PTSi is very soft and smooth, and kind of feels like a second skin. I worked out with this on a cooler day under a Gi. I wash my gi in cold water and hang dry. That’s why I need a rashguard when I do Gi to begin with, as it ends up very rough after a couple of years of use. Even though the rashguard is thin, none of my Gi’s roughness comes though. The closest other one I have to this type of feel is one of my UnderArmor’s, which is very thing and has the “second skin feeling” but doesn’t insulate me from the Gi quite aswell.

The best thing I can say about this rashguard is I didn’t really think about it at all. Once it was on, I didn’t really give it a second thought. It fit real good and I didn’t feel any discomfort from my Gi or any from the Rashguard. Felt very natural, didn’t shift or bunch up or move around. It also did a great job with the sweat, I realized when I took it off I didn’t feel drenched like I normally do after training. I’m gonna do some wrestling and NoGi training this week, and come back and update this thread based on that.

Price:
$45. but I got a discount cause of the late shipment, and an ADCC t shirt to boot. Comparatively the UnderArmour was a little more, and the Hayabusa was a good bit more (but you can see prices for yourself too). The old Rupture Rashguard was about the same price (I think, it’s been a while and it’s not listed).

Stuff I haven’t tested: The SPF protection. I haven’t used the rashguard to work out outdoors yet. I would like to take it for a run, but honestly I’d rather use it for grappling and delegate my other rashguards to running. Also I don’t have any insight on how this will wear as I’ve only had it for a bit, but so far no visible wear after washing and wearing it a couple of time.

Negative: The only negative was the wait time for the shipping, it really sucked to wait so long to get the rashguard. I waited something like a month for this thing. I kept getting emails about this and that, in the end I got 15% off and free shipping and a T-shirt. So all’s well in the end, but after the first two weeks of delays I was starting to get a little pissed. Next time I hope things go better.

Construction: There are less panels than last time, which also means less seams. I’m not sure what this translates into really, but I can only imagine that less seams means less places to rip. I donno. I’m not an expert here but it the rg feels very solid. Also the stitching is thick and flat. Again, I don’t know what that means in terms of longevity, but its not obtrusive (doesn’t stick out or into the rashguard) and the stitches feel sturdy. The bottoms and sleeves are triple stitched with flat stitching reversed (stitched to the inside)

Overall:
This is my new favorite rashguard. It sucked having to wait so long to get it but the construction and design are awesome. The rashguard is very soft and smooth and you feel like you’re not even wearing a rashguard when you roll. It doesn’t roll up or move around on you. It breathes well and pulls moisture away from your skin like nothing. The colors are very deep and the design is sharp.

Last edited:
As a side, the Rupture rashguard is made in the USA, the Hayabusa in Taiwan and the UnderArmor

X-Bionic is made in Italy! Which is what I use for rash guards.

Back on topic, the Rupture stitching looks better than an UnderArmors. I've found some UA to have loose stitching. How about the Hayabusas?

this is just my opinion but i think for anyone else that reviews these rg's they shouldn't mention the wait time. this doesn't have anything to do with the quality and performance of the rg's themselves and has already been addressed the the company themselves. they displayed great customer service in the situation in my opinion. i don't think it would be right to give the rg's any sort of negative opinion based on the shipping situation because rupture clothing notified the customers and gave every chance to cancel the order if they wished. anyone that didn't and waited, well then that's on you, not them.

to the reviewer, i'm not attacking you, this is a more of a response to all the complaining in the other thread in G&E. imo, its just more fair to judge the rg's themselves.

looks and sounds great, so excited to order one, but i think you mightve left out one thing to compare sizes, your weight and height?

this is just my opinion but i think for anyone else that reviews these rg's they shouldn't mention the wait time. this doesn't have anything to do with the quality and performance of the rg's themselves and has already been addressed the the company themselves. they displayed great customer service in the situation in my opinion. i don't think it would be right to give the rg's any sort of negative opinion based on the shipping situation because rupture clothing notified the customers and gave every chance to cancel the order if they wished. anyone that didn't and waited, well then that's on you, not them.

to the reviewer, i'm not attacking you, this is a more of a response to all the complaining in the other thread in G&E. imo, its just more fair to judge the rg's themselves.

What's the wait situation? Is the to be expected with all orders? Or was this just a one time deal.

What's the wait situation? Is the to be expected with all orders? Or was this just a one time deal.

i was just referring to the whole pre-order fiasco that they had. rupture also updated the other thread and said that now that the pre-orders are shipped out they only have a few rg's left, but are scheduled to be restocked this week if i remember or maybe next. so from here out is should be good to go and looks like it was just this one time thing.

Can't wait to get mine :) thanks for the review

I see your point, If the issues have been fixed then it's not really a problem for a guy trying to order the rashguard now. On the other hand if no one complained then there would be no urgency to fix it. given that there were discounts and freebies given though, really there's no hard feelings.

I love this rashguard and plan to wear it later on today. I fully recommend this to anyone. it's a great piece at a good price.

To the OP - thanks for the review and very sorry about your experience but I'm really glad you like the rash guard. The wait was a one-time thing with a pre-order that went sideways. It is definitely not norm for us. Rashies are in stock now and being restocked, so expected shipping time is less than 48 hours as usual.

Best,

Nick

I wore the rashguard last night to wrestling, and just like before I totally forgot that I was wearing it until someone noticed it.

This rashguard is totally awesome. I'm ordering a short sleeve today.

Having switched back and forth between rashguards, I can now see this one is not just my favorite, but my favorite by alot. The fit is awesome, the understated design is cool and the material is like no other rashguard I own.

Awesome job.

Got mine in the post today can't wait to try it out tonight :)

Back