Running up the knee?

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I see this a lot in demonstrations of Muay Thai and sometimes Bando, and I've always wondered whether this is more of a fantasy move or if it can actually be used.

If my terminology isn't correct, I'm referring to any time a Muay Thai practicioner climbs up onto the knee, hip, or shoulders of his opponent and delivers an attack.

If it can be and/or has been used, does anyone have any tips or instructions on when and how to use it in a match? Or does anyone have pictures or videos of this being used in an actual match?

Praramadean.jpg

Here's an example. The movement is called "Prarama Dean Dong"

I think I saw a TKD guy do it in a Korean K-1 rules match. Knocked the other guy down.

Although the move that TKD guy did was this:
Praramayeab.jpg

How many n00bs are going to come in here and claim that jumping kicks are useless and that Muay Thai doesn't work?

Yeah i saw those moves in a mauy thai instructional book and was kinda wonderin about those moves as well.Those moves were in the "Kon Muay - JuJom 23 Kon" section of the book.Any idea what Kon Muay JuJom means?

Iceman5592 said:
I see this a lot in demonstrations of Muay Thai and sometimes Bando, and I've always wondered whether this is more of a fantasy move or if it can actually be used.

If my terminology isn't correct, I'm referring to any time a Muay Thai practicioner climbs up onto the knee, hip, or shoulders of his opponent and delivers an attack.

If it can be and/or has been used, does anyone have any tips or instructions on when and how to use it in a match? Or does anyone have pictures or videos of this being used in an actual match?

Praramadean.jpg

Here's an example. The movement is called "Prarama Dean Dong"

I actually know how to do this.

We'll try it out and stuff tomarrow at open mat.

There area lot of moves that look fantastic and are used in demonstrations that ppl say will NEVER work.

The truth is they are high risk moves and very fancy. They can work but the chances of u pulling them off is minimal.
There is a fighter called the Headhunter (u will find out soon) that fights in the A1 combat cup in Australia ( the aussies will testyfy to this dude) that has knocked out his opponents with some unbeleivable kicking techniques.
He preformed a spinning JUMPING hook kick. Man this looked like somthign out of a Van dam movie. I have been trying to find some footage on the net to link for u but i just cant find it. If any one has it pls link.

I also seen it used in a Kyokusin tournament where one guy got knocked out big time.

As i said these moves can work but the chances are low. Shogan tried a spiining jumping Round house on Arona but Arona leaned back and avoided the kick.

Soulfly said:
I actually know how to do this.

We'll try it out and stuff tomarrow at open mat.

I also know how to do this, but in a fight?? Its not impossible just like winning the lottery!

i've been shown this technique at a Muay Thai lesson i attended, and although I can pull it off i would never recommend it in an actual fight. the opponents leg has to be positioned perfectly, and by the time you figure out if the knee is in the right place changes are you're going to be KO'd. Also, you have to extremely fast and agile

stav said:
There is a fighter called the Headhunter (u will find out soon) that fights in the A1 combat cup in Australia ( the aussies will testyfy to this dude) that has knocked out his opponents with some unbeleivable kicking techniques.
He preformed a spinning JUMPING hook kick.
You make it sound like it's something hard to do :D

Evil Eye Gouger said:
You make it sound like it's something hard to do :D

HEHEHEHE well u need uber flexabilty and even so the trick is landing it on someones head in an actual fight not just preforming it for demonstration :D

stav said:
HEHEHEHE well u need uber flexabilty and even so the trick is landing it on someones head in an actual fight not just preforming it for demonstration :D
Didn't you say that you can do the splits?

There is absolutely nothing difficult about jump spin hook kick, and it definitely doesn't require uber flexibility. it just needs practice and balance. Give it a try.

As for landing it, it lands all the time in TKD competition, and relatively often in Kyokushin. This doesn't mean it's easy to land it in a kickboxing match, but it's not THAT difficult.

The two KOs from the Athens Olympics were both from a jump spin hook kick.

Evil Eye Gouger said:

There is absolutely nothing difficult about jump spin hook kick, and it definitely doesn't require uber flexibility. it just needs practice and balance. Give it a try.

As for landing it, it lands all the time in TKD competition, and relatively often in Kyokushin. This doesn't mean it's easy to land it in a kickboxing match, but it's not THAT difficult.

Obscure reference...

I believe one guy (Seth, was it?) in TUF2 used it in a match against someone successfully, knocking him down.

I love those type of moves, in tkd its actually quite common, but done a litle differently, you cut kick the persons leg (different than a mauy thai cut kick) and propel yourself off for a jump spin back kikc or hook kick

EEG you're going to have to post that HL video of the TKD tournament again so people can see just how frequently flying kicks are used and how effective they can be. Using them in MMA to me is simply a matter of being cognizant of where you're going to land and what is going to happen once you land. Kaoul Uno's lack of that is what got him obliterated in his first match with Penn. Missed a flying kick and was totally unprepared to be rushed right after.

Even a lot of fighters in the 80's who competed in the open full-contact Karate tournaments used to use wicked techniques that they trained up to be fast, hard, and totally un-expected. Billy Blanks himself used to use a flip-kick on the matt. He'd lunge, tuck his head, roll-through and come over with almost an axe-kick. He had it down so fast that even if it was blocked the opponent was so far back he could recover bye the time they got back into hitting range.

King Kabuki said:
Billy Blanks himself used to use a flip-kick on the matt. He'd lunge, tuck his head, roll-through and come over with almost an axe-kick. He had it down so fast that even if it was blocked the opponent was so far back he could recover bye the time they got back into hitting range.

I remember Genki Sudo doing something like that in K1

Evil Eye Gouger said:

Front splits yes. Side splits no.

I Can do a spinning hook kick over my head with no warm up with ease. Jumping spinning hook kick is a little harder and i cant do it properly no. And yes your right it is alot to do with balance. But u do need more felxabilty as well from persoanl experince.
Jumping spinning outside crecent and inside crecent i can do as well :) but thats more hamstring flexabilty rather then groins (aductors?).

King Kabuki said:
EEG you're going to have to post that HL video of the TKD tournament again so people can see just how frequently flying kicks are used and how effective they can be. Using them in MMA to me is simply a matter of being cognizant of where you're going to land and what is going to happen once you land. Kaoul Uno's lack of that is what got him obliterated in his first match with Penn. Missed a flying kick and was totally unprepared to be rushed right after.

Even a lot of fighters in the 80's who competed in the open full-contact Karate tournaments used to use wicked techniques that they trained up to be fast, hard, and totally un-expected. Billy Blanks himself used to use a flip-kick on the matt. He'd lunge, tuck his head, roll-through and come over with almost an axe-kick. He had it down so fast that even if it was blocked the opponent was so far back he could recover bye the time they got back into hitting range.

Yep i seen a New Zealand fighter do that in the ring as well here in Aust....he almost pulle dit of as well. Didnt Hackeny try the same move against Jenum in UFC 3??

stav said:
Front splits yes. Side splits no.

I Can do a spinning hook kick over my head with no warm up with ease. Jumping spinning hook kick is a little harder and i cant do it properly no. And yes your right it is alot to do with balance. But u do need more felxabilty as well from persoanl experince.
Jumping spinning outside crecent and inside crecent i can do as well :) but thats more hamstring flexabilty rather then groins (aductors?).
Dude, you can take my word on this. It's not a matter of flexibility, it's a matter of learning how to do a jump spin hook kick properly. You don't need anywhere near splits to do it.

If you really want to learn it, you can.

It's a really fun kick to do :D

I like the double jumping flying side kick myself.

Back