RULE CHANGE IN MMA!: When you hold your opponent's wrist(s) too long...

pinoy wrestler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
...in boxing, Muay Thai and even in Olympic wrestling (in the stand-up), you'd be called for stalling, passivity -- and if done repeatedly, very possibly disqualification! Adapt this in the stand-up in MMA!

DAMMIT JONES!!!

The ff. is actually a re-post, my last comment on this thread:

...the new rule in international wrestling penalizes wrist control in the stand-up when it's held on too long or repeatedly. Check the new international wrestling matches in YouTube, and invariably, you'll see the ref swat at the hand of the wrestler holding his opponent's wrist. It's supposed to make the matches more exciting, allowing more action.

Regardless of any technique to get out of it, the fight earlier proved that it's easier to latch on it and hold on it for so long to neutralize any offense from the opponent -- this despite that it was a high-level wrestler like Cormier who was at its receiving end (for a considerable length of that fight, and let's concede that the most boring phase in their fight's stand-up game was when Jones employed that hold.

Anyway, to paraphrase the great leader, "Diss me, it doesn't matter; history will absolve me!" (I'm confident there'd be a rule change to address this, and I'd be bumping this thread. Sleep tight, guys -- like I'll do. :wink:
)

Last edited:
So Shael beat Silva?

Also, do you watch boxing? I don't think you do.

You're taught to roll the wrist out of your opponents grip, or use Greco hands to counteract that situation. Cormier knows that. The stalling with hooks though, there should be a set time where if no action is committed, you're broken up.

So change the rules so it benefits to your liking, got it. Outcome would still be the same.

So change the rules so it benefits to your liking, got it. Outcome would still be the same.

Well, when Jones -- or any other fighter -- does it more often in future fights, enjoy the show.

Wrist control you mean? Yeah, first day wrestling move. LETS OUTLAW IT!!!!!

2m2ugcn.jpg

Lets also ban takedowns and ground fighting while we're at it. Oh and clinch work too and kicks too. Those little kicks don't do anything and fighters just rest against the cage.

If only there were a sport where fighters just punched each other.

Seriously, has there ever been a situation where a poster recommended a rule change that wasn't completely stupid.

Sherdog should implement a "This person is an idiot" label any time someone opens one of these threads, and the label should be permanent

You cannot fault a guy that noticed he was getting beaten up in the clinch and began to control the things that can stop punches. The wrists! Great tactician jones has a fight IQ of someone who belongs in Mensa, he is a very intelligent mixed martial artist.

You're taught to roll the wrist out of your opponents grip, or use Greco hands to counteract that situation. Cormier knows that. The stalling with hooks though, there should be a set time where if no action is committed, you're broken up.

Wrist control you mean? Yeah, first day wrestling move. LETS OUTLAW IT!!!!!

You guys are obviously not aware of the new rule in international wrestling, which penalizes wrist control in the stand-up when it's held on too long or repeatedly. Check the new international wrestling matches in YouTube, and invariably, you'll see the ref swat at the hand of the wrestler holding his opponent's wrist. It's supposed to make the matches more exciting, allowing more action.

Regardless of any technique to get out of it, the fight earlier proved that it's easier to latch on it and hold on it for so long to neutralize any offense from the opponent -- this despite that it was a high-level wrestler like Cormier who was at its receiving end (for a considerable length of that fight, and let's concede that the most boring phase in their fight's stand-up game was when Jones employed that hold.

Anyway, to paraphrase the great leader, "Diss me, it doesn't matter; history will absolve me!" (I'm confident there'd be a rule change to address this, and I'd be bumping this thread. Sleep tight, guys -- like I'll do. :wink:
)

Back