rubber guard

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How come we don't see rubberguard in mma/ufc? OR more of it?

McGoat just using closed guard doing closed to nothing. How come we don't see more rubberguard or something similar?

How come we don't see rubberguard in mma/ufc? OR more of it?

McGoat just using closed guard doing closed to nothing. How come we don't see more rubberguard or something similar?

Is this Eddie Bravo?

Rubber guard is kind of it's own thing. McGregor was also trying to force a stand-up, not lock Mendes in his guard and submit him

We see it some. Ben Saunders is the best example. It's not for everyone, you need some specific attributes to play it and even then it's not going to fit into everyone's game plan. I think the best thing for most people to do from guard in MMA is stand back up, and that seems to be the default strategy for people these days. If you try to play rubber guard and don't sub the guy, you're probably going to lose the round and you can't really afford that in a 3 round fight.

Because its a very difficult guard and you need to be very thorough with it, and even if you get it down at a high level it's not that much more effective. For all the countless hours of MMA training that go into rubber guard, we've seen a handful of signature Eddie Bravo finishes in the cage.

Most of the rubber guard is also off your back which isn't very judge friendly.

It is good for stifling GnP and stalling.

I think the primary problem is that guys are afraid to try new things or are quick to dismiss certain moves. It's not until someone really kicks ass with something that people start doing it. Kind of like the front snap kick. Barely anyone was doing it. Then Anderson does it, and everyone starts using it and even KO'ing guys. Anaconda's too. Nog used it in Pride and suddenly guys started using it.

Ben Saunders has been able to prove that it works, but he didn't pull it off against a top 5 guy. So until a big name uses it to succeed, guys are going to use the "tried and true" guards.

I also think there are a bunch of misconceptions about RG. The main one being that you need flexibility or long legs. You need that if you're playing a Ben Saunders game. I'm not using dead orchard any time soon. I don't even really play standard rubber guard either. I play a modified meat hook game that's still rubber guard. It's just a variation. If guys trained it enough, they could find their groove and what works for them. But really, using that leg behind the head to control posture is really powerful.

Back