Rubber Guard vs. Heavy/Wide guys

jiujitzurero

White Belt
Reaction score
Is the rubber guard effective against big heavy guys since big heavy guys might just outmuscle their way out of mission control or is it easier to just stick to what usually works(spider/butterfly/arm drags/etc)?

depends how well the heavy guy knows how to use his weight and position. Also are you talking "muscle" heavy or fat? Fat people don't move as quick so if they don't know what they are doing or what you are doing they will take longer to recover position.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but there really are too many other variables than "I know rubber guard and he is heavy, will it work?"

I know this much: In bjj, "armdrag" is almost always the right answer to whatever the question is.

Why on earth do you want to play guard on a big heavy dude? Forget that rubber guard stuff and get on his back!! That works on guys big and small.

I agree with filthy.

I never use mission control, usually if I see an idle arm posted on the mat, I'll jump straight to New York. Early on when I tried using mission control, as soon as I brought that leg up behind their neck, it was like a geyser or volcano eruption.

Probably is my technique, or maybe I don't have squeezing power, but it's just wasted effort at this point and I feel better trying out sweeps or other positions to get off my back.

I know this much: In bjj, "armdrag" is almost always the right answer to whatever the question is.

Best post I have read in a while! LOL

Who wants a big guy on them anyway? Armdrag, man, armdrag!

lol i must google this so called armdrag. im small and everyone els is big. it must be the answer to all my bjj problems.

When even the answer to the armdrag is the armdrag, you know it's strong mojo.

Hahaha.. I was rolling with a 315 pound monster today, couldn't even close a darce or a triangle, let alone my guard. Armdrag was indeed the answer.

Drill the rubber guard more. Get the crackhead control down-that will make mission control much more effective. Also get good at the meathook to set up triangles. If it isn't working cause you keep getting stacked abort and go to butterfly guard. Rubber guard works best when you can bounce between half, butterfly and rubber guard.

When even the answer to the armdrag is the armdrag, you know it's strong mojo.

In all seriousness, this is what John Machado teaches. How to counter the armdrag? Armdrag right back into them. You get into a whirling folk-dance type scenario.

In all seriousness, this is what John Machado teaches. How to counter the armdrag? Armdrag right back into them. You get into a whirling folk-dance type scenario.

Reminds me of square dancing as a little kid!

Agreed, the armdrag is the only move that the only good counter to it is itself, but if you get tired of the armdrag battle you can always roll and face too... Knowing the armdrag is my go to from just about everywhere people have learned to redrag, so instead of battling that way I roll, face and look for my armdrag again.

Back