Rubber Guard Players

RetardControl

White Belt
Reaction score
A quick question to people who play Rubber guard:

When you switch to Crackhead Control, do you find that alot of people stack you?

Do you find this puts alot of pressure on your back that you don't neccesarily feel when rolling but definately feel the day after?

Does this loosen up?

I've started playing rubberguard now for the past 5 weeks or so and I'm finding as I use it more, I'm punishing my lower back more to the extent of servere aches and pains the next day.
Any advice?

strech your back more before rolling, then strech after your done, if its a really good stack switch to something else

I never get too many lower back problems...my knees and hips get a bit sore because I'm not quite flexible enough yet and I force it a bit.

crackhead control...?

I believe thats one of the names that Eddie Bravo has for his positioning..
wouldn't be surprised..

he calls his version of the reverse Judo, "stoner control"

Crackhead Control is having gotten to rubber guard and your opponent is still trying to posture, you bring your other leg around his shoulder do double leg curls at the back of his neck. You then throw a gable grip around both of your ankles. Therefore controlling his posture with both feet and hands. From here you can work 'The Pump' to get his arm in the centre of your stomach and start working the various options from there.

I believe thats one of the names that Eddie Bravo has for his positioning..
wouldn't be surprised..

he calls his version of the reverse Judo, "stoner control"

I'm sure the thinking behind it is if you give things interesting names they're easier to remember. I don't think he claims originality on most of his material.

Reguardless of what he calls the techniques his style has improved my game alot. I'm more of a fan of the meat hook becuase it usually lands me a triangle.

When being stacked I either curl my whole body into a tight ball while trying to keep my angle and contol (sometimes being lifted up off the ground completely) or I look for my opponent to be slightly off balance and sweep.

Eddie Bravo is a pretzle like freak of flexability. Not every one is this bendable. Make sure you put in the time to master his stretching routines before you try anything crazy and pull a muscle. The cat and cobra strecth in the begining of MTRG should help loosen up your back. I also suggest standing with your back to a wall and walking your hands alll the way down so that your bent backwords with your nose on the ground and then explode back to your feet. Like a bridge or a backwords push-up.

Good luck!

A quick question to people who play Rubber guard:

When you switch to Crackhead Control, do you find that alot of people stack you?

Do you find this puts alot of pressure on your back that you don't neccesarily feel when rolling but definately feel the day after?

Does this loosen up?

I've started playing rubberguard now for the past 5 weeks or so and I'm finding as I use it more, I'm punishing my lower back more to the extent of servere aches and pains the next day.
Any advice?

First of all, do you have any video of you using the rubber guard? That might help to troubleshoot it. Also, who did you learn it from? Is it somebody who read it in MTRG, or have you trained with somebody who has trained with Eddie or has a lot of experience with it? There are a lot of little details I've learned about rubber guard that aren't in the book. It didn't work as well for me until I spent some time with Einstein and Eddie.

If I start in Mission Control then I almost never hang out there with the foot on the hip because I find it's a higher risk of getting passed. I transition immediately to Crackhead, or at least drape my other leg across their back, so I am generally in Crackhead a few times each rolling session. :) Of course, I rarely hang out in Crackhead, either, unless I am tired and need a rest; I'm immediately working either to get their elbow to the centre of my body for an armbar or a sweep, or their hand to the mat so I can clear the neck and work from there. I find that Crackhead helps prevent the stack because it makes me so heavy on them, and they know something is coming, so they're more focused on keeping their elbows tight.

Sometimes it's best to just give it up and try for a sweep. How's your squeeze? Is it tight and sustained? That makes a big difference. If I can get them tight to me and they try to stack me, it puts their weight higher towards the ceiling, and they're already pretty low in my guard, so I have a lot of space and leverage to sweep them. I squeeze as hard as I can, tuck my butt under them and roll over my shoulder, driving their face to the mat, and ending up on top. It's not pretty, and it's something I just figured out on my own, but it sometimes works for me.

I've never had any back problems with Rubber Guard, and I use it a lot, but I am also freaky flexible and quite strong for a girl my size. One thing I would suggest is, before using it live, you spend a lot of time drilling the positions and techniques. Not everybody's body can handle rubber guard on day 1, no matter what people say. It's fun to do, it looks cool, and it's very effective if you understand it and have some experience with it, but it requires very specific traits and strengths that you should work on before busting it out in rolling or competition.

Crackhead = invisible collar setup without Kung Fu move.

I don't usually use this. If I happen to get a hand to the mat while playing other stuff, then I go straight to NY.

If you're getting stacked in crackhead, move to something else like butterfly.

When being stacked I either curl my whole body into a tight ball while trying to keep my angle and contol (sometimes being lifted up off the ground completely) or I look for my opponent to be slightly off balance and sweep.

I'm with Paige here - this is what I was trying to describe in my response. :)

First of all, do you have any video of you using the rubber guard? That might help to troubleshoot it. Also, who did you learn it from? Is it somebody who read it in MTRG, or have you trained with somebody who has trained with Eddie or has a lot of experience with it? There are a lot of little details I've learned about rubber guard that aren't in the book. It didn't work as well for me until I spent some time with Einstein and Eddie.

If I start in Mission Control then I almost never hang out there with the foot on the hip because I find it's a higher risk of getting passed. I transition immediately to Crackhead, or at least drape my other leg across their back, so I am generally in Crackhead a few times each rolling session. :) Of course, I rarely hang out in Crackhead, either, unless I am tired and need a rest; I'm immediately working either to get their elbow to the centre of my body for an armbar or a sweep, or their hand to the mat so I can clear the neck and work from there. I find that Crackhead helps prevent the stack because it makes me so heavy on them, and they know something is coming, so they're more focused on keeping their elbows tight.

Sometimes it's best to just give it up and try for a sweep. How's your squeeze? Is it tight and sustained? That makes a big difference. If I can get them tight to me and they try to stack me, it puts their weight higher towards the ceiling, and they're already pretty low in my guard, so I have a lot of space and leverage to sweep them. I squeeze as hard as I can, tuck my butt under them and roll over my shoulder, driving their face to the mat, and ending up on top. It's not pretty, and it's something I just figured out on my own, but it sometimes works for me.

I've never had any back problems with Rubber Guard, and I use it a lot, but I am also freaky flexible and quite strong for a girl my size. One thing I would suggest is, before using it live, you spend a lot of time drilling the positions and techniques. Not everybody's body can handle rubber guard on day 1, no matter what people say. It's fun to do, it looks cool, and it's very effective if you understand it and have some experience with it, but it requires very specific traits and strengths that you should work on before busting it out in rolling or competition.

I have the book and the DVD and I've studied both extensively. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say I'm perfect at it, but I think I'm avoiding alot of the common pitfalls (not having a good enough squeeze to prevent being passed etc). My Guard doesn't get passed and I do tend to have solid control over posture, the problem comes when I get stacked heavily.

Funnily enough I read through the book again today and found a comment from Eddie where he says if he gets heavily stacked he usually gives it up and tries to go to Butterfly to work sweeps. I'll definately give your suggested sweep a try on the mat and see how it works out.

I've currently been playing the guard for about 5 weeks, I've been using it every single time I roll. I find that if I can get the hand to the mat, I can 9 times out of 10 get to Jiu Claw without an issue. However, I find that when I switch to The Pump I get stacked as the arm goes across, maybe I'm sitting there too long and need to be faster with moving from there. I'll try and get some footage this week and put it up here for your critique.

Thanks for your reply, it's nice to get some informed opinions on the subject.

If it hurts your back, stop doing it. Like now.

Eddie himself has serious lower back problems. IMHO, the rubber guard is just too much strain on the body, unless you want to compete MMA or something. Getting stacked is bullshit.

I haven't had problems with my back from rubber guard but I've given up on it almost completely after seriously injuring my hips and groin, particularly from overtraining the "squeeze" that Eddie emphasizes so much. Something, muscles or tendons, feel like they're going to tear (if they haven't already) if I start trying to adduct (pinch) my legs like I'm supposed to for rubber guard.

If it hurts your back, stop doing it. Like now.

Eddie himself has serious lower back problems. IMHO, the rubber guard is just too much strain on the body, unless you want to compete MMA or something. Getting stacked is bullshit.

WOW. Eddie has back problems? Maybe I need to cut this guard out then...

Insightful, intelligenty-written and bordering on philosophical.

Care to expand? What's your experience with the guard?

It sounded like a YES/NO question...

In general i have back problems, yes, but long before i started using this guard and i never found it put any undue stress on my back, even wih people stacking me i never had a problem, the only thing that puts stress on my back is bridging, which bends my back the opposite way.

Back