Rubber guard is terrible.

CBohl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Im an Ediie Bravo fan, but for MMA its completely useless.

Ben Saunders is just getting fucked up.

It’s just another tool in the box, and it’s not always right for the job

Have you ever seen Tony Ferguson do it? Guy fucks people up from that position

Just cause one guy isn't the greatest at it doesn't mean rubber guard is completely useless

Seemed like a reasonable control tactic and was really close to a triangle finish. Idk if I would call that "useless" but Matt Brown is just a savage.

Just cause one guy isn't the greatest at it doesn't mean rubber guard is completely useless
Only Ferguson then.

Every other fighters gets fucked up.

Getting back up/submissions from back. And dont post a stupid gif of a sub or I will post a million scrambles. You don't want to be on your back in a fist fight

He got to triangle position from there, it worked. He just couldn’t figure out how to close the space once the triangle was locked. He should’ve finished that submission, tbh. It was there and rubber guard got him there.

It worked pretty well in round 1 imo, Ben just needs to get better at moving up to a triangle.

Penn used it tremendously back in the day, defensively and offensively.

Only Ferguson then.

Every other fighters gets fucked up.
Diego Sanchez fucked up clay guida from rubber guard

It depends on the fighter
Penn used it tremendously back in the day, defensively and offensively.
What he said

I think what you said is true in a sense cause a lot of fighters don't know how to properly implement it but if you know how to implement rubber guard into your game, you can do some serious damage

Getting back up/submissions from back. And dont post a stupid gif of a sub or I will post a million scrambles. You don't want to be on your back in a fist fight
I'm not saying rubber guard is always the smartest thing to do, generally you wanna get up, but if you are controlling him off of your back then you don't need to get up, not at least until you lose your position

Im an Ediie Bravo fan, but for MMA its completely useless.

Ben Saunders is just getting fucked up.
its more effective when you're not pressed up against the fence. see ben saunders vs brown.

Also I remember Aoki having a seriously fucking slick rubber guard. Although he used it primarily to set up submissions and not strikes, because, well, it's Aoki.

It's effective... it's just not going to win you the fight by itself.

don't remember ever seeing anything meaningful happen from the rubber guard.

the greatest things Eddie Bravo has done had nothing to do with the rubber guard.

he got that Gracie dude with a standard triangle choke and then various half-guard techniques in the rematch.

Back