Royce Gracie Interview

tf

Inside BJJ Podcast
@Blue
Reaction score
Just posted the Royce Gracie Interview.

-- Has one more fight left
-- Wears his blue belt (like Helio) instead of his blackbelt
-- Says tournaments are what ruin most martial arts.

Check it out.

Royce Gracie Interview : Inside BJJ

Good stuff..not sure if I agree with "tournaments ruining martial arts."

Here is a picture of Royce and I right around the time he got that dark blue belt.

picture.php

What's that about?

Tribute to Helio Gracie|Jim Hughes and Royce Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & MMA Self Defense Schools of Hartford CT, Boston MASS, & New Haven, Glastonbury, Southington, Stratford, Danbury, East Windsor, Enfield, UCONN, Norwich, Agawam

My friend and student Sonny Parlin put together a tribute honoring Helio Gracie. One of the pictures he used is a personal favorite. It is one of me at the Academy way back in the day with Rorion and Helio. Helio and I are both wearing blue belts. The fact that he went back to being a blue belt as a personal protest on the state of affairs with Jiu Jitsu in Brazil was quite impressive. He did not want his

I disagree with the opinion that point scoring and stalling in tournaments ruins BJJ. I think stalling is actually an integral part of BJJ, even as a self defense system. When Royce fought in the UFC he was slow and methodical with his movements, conserving energy and then attacking when the opportunity presented itself. There was no moving positions every 30 seconds or requirement to move his grips every 10. In self defense stalling is not opening yourself up to attack, you don't want to be moving for the sake of moving. The problem is now that the skill is so high, there are no opportunities to attack without opening yourself up, which looks like stalling, or looks boring.

I feel that some of Royce's generation can't keep up with the sport, if for no other reason than they are aging, but instead of accepting that the sport is moving around and advancing without them, they say the sport has taken a bad turn and wouldn't want to be a part of it now anyway. I mean that with no disrespect, it is just that Royce and Rickson and whoever else and 20 somethings that can train constantly anymore.

I disagree with the opinion that point scoring and stalling in tournaments ruins BJJ. I think stalling is actually an integral part of BJJ, even as a self defense system. When Royce fought in the UFC he was slow and methodical with his movements, conserving energy and then attacking when the opportunity presented itself. There was no moving positions every 30 seconds or requirement to move his grips every 10. In self defense stalling is not opening yourself up to attack, you don't want to be moving for the sake of moving. The problem is now that the skill is so high, there are no opportunities to attack without opening yourself up, which looks like stalling, or looks boring.

I feel that some of Royce's generation can't keep up with the sport, if for no other reason than they are aging, but instead of accepting that the sport is moving around and advancing without them, they say the sport has taken a bad turn and wouldn't want to be a part of it now anyway. I mean that with no disrespect, it is just that Royce and Rickson and whoever else and 20 somethings that can train constantly anymore.

I never really looked at it that way, but you have a valid point. Stalling someone out could save your life in real life. I think the overriding factor is there is a time clock and the clock is being played by stalling.

he's not really talking about that kind of stalling, he's referring to guys who try to run out the time and try to score and advantage with a few seconds left

Royce has a real point and if mma were like it was back in the vale tudo days bjj would be more like that. And IMO the most applicable form of bjj to protect yourself in the streets. Although, if you did both sport, and classical gracie jiu jitsu, that would be an awesome combo.

Royce has a real point and if mma were like it was back in the vale tudo days bjj would be more like that. And IMO the most applicable form of bjj to protect yourself in the streets. Although, if you did both sport, and classical gracie jiu jitsu, that would be an awesome combo.

Not even Royce used any specific gracie self defense JJ in the early UFCs

it was just like a modern BJJ match but with strikes obviously. he didn't do any specific self defense moves, it was takedown or be taken down

Actualy, the 5 minute or 10 minute matches create huge preassure. If you have 2 minutes left and are low on point and in somones side-mount you have to move quick. In that sense the matches discourage stalling. And if you are waiting for the final seconds for the sweep that's going to be the most intensive sweep of your life.

I think that submission only matches would be far less stressfull than time & points mathces

Actualy, the 5 minute or 10 minute matches create huge preassure. If you have 2 minutes left and are low on point and in somones side-mount you have to move quick. In that sense the matches discourage stalling. And if you are waiting for the final seconds for the sweep that's going to be the most intensive sweep of your life.

I think that submission only matches would be far less stressfull than time & points mathces

I like submission only but how do you deal with a time limit?

I personally wish that they would change the time limits in MMA. My opinion is that basic fights should have 2x10 minute rounds & a championship fight should have 3x10 minute rounds. I also wish that they would change the scoring system in america & take it off the 10 point must system.

I also don't believe that the ref should be able to stand the fights back up. I do agree with many people that the ground can get boring if nothing is happening or if you have 2 guys on the ground that don't know what they're doing but I agree with what Eddie Bravo said, "I would pull guard & if I couldn't tap or sweep them, then they were better then me."

The sport would still evolve, right now, fighters can hold on until the ref stands them back up. It doesn't force the bottom guy to lose the fight, figure out that he needs to work on his sweeps &/or takedown defense & come back a more technical fighter.

Just my 2 cents...

Not even Royce used any specific gracie self defense JJ in the early UFCs

it was just like a modern BJJ match but with strikes obviously. he didn't do any specific self defense moves, it was takedown or be taken down

well actually royce used alot kicks to the leg that they actually teach in gracie jiu jitsu, and kicking is certainly not sport jiu jitsu. Also, Royce grabbed a hold of Kimo's hair for leverage, and thats not sport jiu jitsu. Royce used a lot of kicks form his back that they teach you in Gracie Jiu jitsu, and kicking from your back is certainly not sport jiu jitsu.

Great interview. I found myself reading it in my head...with Royce's accent.

Royce shouldn't criticise the rules and time limits for the state of MMA today. If he wants to blame anyone, he should start with his half Brother Rorion, who designed the cage.

Royce shouldn't criticise the rules and time limits for the state of MMA today. If he wants to blame anyone, he should start with his half Brother Rorion, who designed the cage.

Rorion didn't design the unified rules. Just FYI.

well actually royce used alot kicks to the leg that they actually teach in gracie jiu jitsu, and kicking is certainly not sport jiu jitsu. Also, Royce grabbed a hold of Kimo's hair for leverage, and thats not sport jiu jitsu. Royce used a lot of kicks form his back that they teach you in Gracie Jiu jitsu, and kicking from your back is certainly not sport jiu jitsu.

that is more like small dirty tricks. he didn't use techniques from the self defense curriculum (sure sometimes it overlaps but still)

Now I haven't done much gjj type self defense, nor any from TJJ or any other TMA

but I don't really see the difference in GJJ's self defense and other self defense

what is difference is the sport aspect of it and it works as opposed to other jj's

Back