Royce Gracie Believes Jiu-Jitsu Competitions Don't Help With Self Defense

I agree. It doesn't hurt either. It's a jiujitsu competition. It will male you better at jiujitsu. Just like a boxing match makes you better at boxing.

Self defense is a total package thing. If you've never trained with some strikes our with someone far outside your weight class you won't be ready. Pull guard on a 300 pound college football player who wrestled in high school....and let him strike. It's different. Good jiujitsu will still overcome it...but you gotta train for it.

Yep, self-defense is different from sport bjj competitions. Same thing with tkd point sparring.

I feel we need a sticky on this stuff, it gets brought up every week. Mods?

Translation: I'm old school, things were better in my day, that was TRUE Jitsu, etc.

well the last time he competed in jiu jitsu he got choked the fuck out so....

You can only learn self defense if you give him and his family money.

There is no such thing as any martial art that is good for self defense if you feel you need to defend yourself get a concealed carry permit and take a 200$ defensive tactics class it will do more for you in 3 days than you will get from ANY martial art

It definitely helps for self defense. It helps by putting you in a high stress environment and asking you to perform.

If you can learn how to slow things down and keep your head about you by competing regularly, then if you are ever in a self defense situation that would translate as well.

Otherwise you could do what the krav class I've seen did: put on a bunch of super loud heavy metal and rapidly turn the lights on and off while you "sparred" to "simulate a combat environment" (really just drilling). :rolleyes:

of course it does, the level of stress alone that a competitor is used to will help inmensely. what is royce doing at his schools that get his students ready for fighting? I think he meant that sporty techniques used in bjj competition wont help you in a SF, not that competitions wont.

I rather punch someone tbh. I don't really think to much about competition although that's what I usually train. It has served me sell before, but I guess everybody is different.

Yea, I totally agree. I hate how all the BJJ schools nowadays are basically watered down sport jitsu.

I like how Rener teaches in that one video in which you have a guy in your guard or mount simulating some GnP while the other guy defends against these attacks and trying to sweep them. Much more realistic.

Pulling guard doesn't even feel realistic or safe. I feel like if I don't control their arms, they would start dropping bombs on me in real life. Or everytime they posture up to break my guard, I feel like they can posture up and drop bombs instead of "passing" my guard as seen so many times in MMA. I know these things work but not the way we've been training at these bjj schools.

I kinda agree but since its Royce I have to kinda disagree too; almost (almost) *any* sort of live full contact competitive combat sport will, at the very least, cement in the practitioners limbic system an instinctive goal in which they will adeptly work towards.

Don't think of combat sitations like you would think about civilization in general; in one it is often that the best policy one can make is to not try to make any policy at all. In the other, well, a common saying in the army is that any plan is better than no plan at all.

If he means unarmed against an unarmed attacker, he's wrong. Competing (in any combat sport) will train your reflexes and your ability to adjust to a fully resisting opponent, get you used to being bruised and facing a lot of strength/speed/determination, and help with the mental aspect that is so important to combat (ie your body goes into automatic mode).

If he means unarmed against an armed attacker (knife, gun etc) he's right, but then no unarmed art (except maybe 110 meter hurdles) is going to help much with that. I'm guessing his school isn't teaching how to use a knife, gun, or run quickly through/around/over obstacles (apparently most people can't hit a moving target more than 15 yards away with a handgun, and most muggers aren't into long and hard sprints after someone high tailing it out of there).

Yea, I totally agree. I hate how all the BJJ schools nowadays are basically watered down sport jitsu.

I like how Rener teaches in that one video in which you have a guy in your guard or mount simulating some GnP while the other guy defends against these attacks and trying to sweep them. Much more realistic.

Pulling guard doesn't even feel realistic or safe. I feel like if I don't control their arms, they would start dropping bombs on me in real life. Or everytime they posture up to break my guard, I feel like they can posture up and drop bombs instead of "passing" my guard as seen so many times in MMA. I know these things work but not the way we've been training at these bjj schools.

Agreed. Makes me think...Rampage vs Arona. Imagine that on the pavement.

No offense but holy shit I'm tired of crazy grandpa Royce at the dinner table.

To say they aren't optimal? Fine. To say that they don't help? That's bullshit. Getting in there and whether you want to call it a fight or a a match, but getting in there with someone that wants to best you with their technique, wits, and athleticism is going to do a lot to prepare you for a real scenario. Competing is way more real than training a bunch of Ogoshi hip tosses versus bear hugs or doing some standing shoulder locks versus a downward bat or knife stab/swing.

Basically he;s saying I'm old school and you kids aren't doing it right.

So now Royce is saying to train martial arts other than BJJ. I see. So it was Gracie Jiu Jitsu over everything until the berimbolo came along and ruined everything. Plus from his interview he's acting like absolute divisions or sub only events don't exist. He's rallying up against points and weight classes here. That's one of the main cruxes of his argument.

There is no such thing as any martial art that is good for self defense if you feel you need to defend yourself get a concealed carry permit and take a 200$ defensive tactics class it will do more for you in 3 days than you will get from ANY martial art
The funny thing is that Royce did/does just this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAXi9oTr8It/?taken-by=realroyce

FTR there's nothing wrong with Royce being a gun guy. I just thought I would poke fun

I partially agree.

See Judo.

The old school Judoka I have been blessed to train with hate what has been done to the art in efforts to keep it visually appealing and spectator friendly. Soft Ippons leading to over-rotating, limiting newaza to highlight the big throws, banning leg grabs because fuck them, gripping rules ect ect have lead to the same metagaming I hear about from my BJJ team.

That said, any grappling art that can be practiced and competed at full speed (Judo, Wrestling, BJJ) is going to give you a self defence advantage if for nothing else the confidence.

Back