Roy Harris Martial Arts Journey

L

LeatherWhip

I do not know if this was posted previously, I have not come across this before, nor did I see it when I conducted a search. I found it to be very interesting, but also, I was unaware of how some of the Gracie's and Machados do business. I had heard things, but never to this degree. In any case, enjoy:

Stickgrappler's MMA page - Unofficial Underground forum archives - My Journey thread started by Roy Harris page

My training at the Gracie Academy continued until August of 1992. At that time, an article had been written about me in the San Diego Union and Tribune newspaper. This article caused Rorion to re-evaluate my training there. Rorion told me that it was not fair that I make money off of him by teaching Jiu Jitsu. He said I would now have to pay him $100 per class if I was going to continue training at the Academy. I told Rorion the following:

"I told you (Rorion) about the self-defense class I taught at the University on several occasions. I even asked you if it was all right if I taught the students a few Gracie Jiu Jitsu techniques. You said it was OK as long as I didn't wear a Gracie Jiu Jitsu shirt while teaching."

"I also told you (Rorion) that I make $60 a month teaching my self-defense, and that I would give you $30 of it because you were my instructor."

I also said, "Rorion, I am paying $240 a month to train with you and your brothers (not to mention the driving time, the gas and the headache of dealing with LA traffic). I have done all of this for almost two years now. Doesn't that show you the kind of loyalty I have for you and your brothers?"

To this Rorion replied, "I am sorry my friend. But this is my final offer." I said, "Rorion, paying $100 per class would mean I would be paying $1400 a month to continue my training with you. I don't have that kind of money." He said, "I am sorry."

So, I shook his hand and left the Academy for the last time. That was a very sad day in my martial arts training experience! I was heart broken after that incident. I had dumped my soul into that Academy (not to mention my loyalty to Rorion and Royce) and now I was being treated like a number.

However, the story doesn't end there. What I was about to experience next really caught me off guard!

More on that later..............

Roy Harris

This is very old and the last I heard Mr. Harris has asked sites to take it down, but I guess they didn't.

This is very old and the last I heard Mr. Harris has asked sites to take it down, but I guess they didn't.

So it sounds like this is a true story then, and he may have been looking to make ammends with everyone?

Go to the link in the OP, it's a cool story. Definetely has to be reposted for those who haven't read it.

Yeah...Mr. Harris posted this some time ago after numerous requests for his personal history as well as his experience with the Machados and Gracies.

Mr. Harris went into great detail regarding his experiences, and understandable so, some indivdiuals got rather upset with him, and stated that he was just talking trash over the internet...

Having not been his intention, Mr. Harris took down said posts, and asked them to be removed from sites where he did not have the ability to remove the content...and for whatever reason, (much to the displeasure of Mr. Harris) the content was never removed...

So...it is what it is...

Yeah...Mr. Harris posted this some time ago after numerous requests for his personal history as well as his experience with the Machados and Gracies.

Mr. Harris went into great detail regarding his experiences, and understandable so, some indivdiuals got rather upset with him, and stated that he was just talking trash over the internet...

Having not been his intention, Mr. Harris took down said posts, and asked them to be removed from sites where he did not have the ability to remove the content...and for whatever reason, (much to the displeasure of Mr. Harris) the content was never removed...

So...it is what it is...

I guess it does drive home the point that was in another thread, loyalty goes as far as money goes in some cases.

Yeah, if you read some of the stuff that he went through with the Gracies (specifically Rorion), it sounds like it came down to money. Plain and simple.

However with other individuals (Rickson, the Machados, etc) it was a matter of "honor". Really what it came down to was a lack of communication/misunderstandings...

Not much you can do about it now. Mr. Harris has stated that he has long since moved on and has no ill feelings toward any of those individuals...what happened, happened...

In fact he still speaks very positively about many individuals that he has trained with in the past, but no longer has any contact with (specifically, he spoke very highly of Rickson at a seminar that i attended)

So...it is what it is...

awesome name and av dude, i'm a huge bh fan...i just missed him here last sat may 31, i'm pissed...i just ordered 4 of his cd's off tdrsmusic.com. sorry, to go off topic, i just saw the name and av and was taken by surpise.

Back