Roy Dean's purple belt requirements?

JerseyTrash

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Anyone watch/own this? Is it worth buying? Anything good or bad to say about it?

I got his blue belt video. It was really well done. Lots of explanation, and multiple camera angles. It's really helped me with the small details that make the techniques effective. I can't imagen his purple belt video being anything other than helpful.Should be a pretty reasonable price as well.

The tech shown in his vids are great, however as a purple belt, I don't think there is a way to quantify what it takes to be a purple belt. We have several 4 stripe blue belts at our gym, and they are awesome. I have no idea how close they are to purple. We have 3 purple belts at our gym that received theirs elsewhere, their skillsets are all very differant from each other, and me.

I can tell you about my skillset, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. Lots of discussions here recently about the purple belt. I'm very confident from every position, every guard, every offensive spot. I can hang with black and brown belts. Not beat them on their a game, but I can give them a good roll on a given day at the gym. I occasionally teach class, and its enlightening.

When I roll I still try to learn from every partner, I don't try to avoid peoples strong game, I look to work through it. Sometimes good bluebelts catch me while playing their best spots, and sometimes I get caught by them in great transitions. I dunno what else to contribute here, its strange being a purple belt.

I have the blue one also and I like it. It's fairly fast paced, shows good camera angles, has decent explanations. I can't stand the instructionals where I have to listen to 10 minutes of explanation and technique history without seeing the technique. He gets right to the point and shows everything.
I have only seen 3-4 instructionals so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was the best one I've seen.

That guy definitly gives me a gay vibe though...

The purple belt requirements doesn't show techniques per se but is all about coimbinations. It shows how you can link techniques together and demonstrates examples. It gives good ideas and is fun to watch but not sure if its worth the money.

I'm wondering about no-gi essentials...

The tech shown in his vids are great, however as a purple belt, I don't think there is a way to quantify what it takes to be a purple belt. We have several 4 stripe blue belts at our gym, and they are awesome. I have no idea how close they are to purple. We have 3 purple belts at our gym that received theirs elsewhere, their skillsets are all very differant from each other, and me.

I can tell you about my skillset, but I'm not sure how relevant it is. Lots of discussions here recently about the purple belt. I'm very confident from every position, every guard, every offensive spot. I can hang with black and brown belts. Not beat them on their a game, but I can give them a good roll on a given day at the gym. I occasionally teach class, and its enlightening.

When I roll I still try to learn from every partner, I don't try to avoid peoples strong game, I look to work through it. Sometimes good bluebelts catch me while playing their best spots, and sometimes I get caught by them in great transitions. I dunno what else to contribute here, its strange being a purple belt.

Its funny because (no offense) you seem to have misunderstood what I said, and yet he addresses everything you've said. He opens up the 2nd DVD by talking about how "What makes a BJJ purple belt? There's no consensus, and some schools have varying requirements." He then lists what he thinks are the 3 requirements, which sound pretty accurate.

YouTube - BJJ: Purple Belt Requirements Volume 2

That guy definitly gives me a gay vibe though...

I agree. I don't like the DVD, shows combinations that are so smooth they seem unreal and edited. I guess if your looking to start combinations you can get this DVD, but otherwise I would get other ones and start working on weak aspects of your game.

I agree. I don't like the DVD, shows combinations that are so smooth they seem unreal and edited. I guess if your looking to start combinations you can get this DVD, but otherwise I would get other ones and start working on weak aspects of your game.

There's 10,000 DVDs out there that just show a bunch of techniques. I liked the way this looked because it seems like "a different kind of DVD" or whatever.

And yes, he does have a creepy vibe.

So, WTF do I got to speak another language in order to get my purple belt. I always thought whipping the competitions ass was the sign that you deserve to be promoted to purple.

Oh, I didn't misunderstand, I just took the oppurtunity to post my thoughts uninvited on your thread. Seems to be a lot of talk along these lines recently.

So, WTF do I got to speak another language in order to get my purple belt. I always thought whipping the competitions ass was the sign that you deserve to be promoted to purple.

Not at all. Do you train regularly? I tap purple belts regularly, but didn't get to train often (only like once per week) for like 6 months. I think thats why I wasn't promoted. Do you vary up your attacks? I know a guy who mowed through everyone, but wasn't promoted because he only did 1 or 2 moves. You have to show that you're versatile.

There's 10,000 DVDs out there that just show a bunch of techniques. I liked the way this looked because it seems like "a different kind of DVD" or whatever.

Oh absolutely, full with low percentage fancy techniques as well. I was referring more to the specialized ones like Saulo, Maia, Garcia, etc. that pinpoint a position.

Oh absolutely, full with low percentage fancy techniques as well. I was referring more to the specialized ones like Saulo, Maia, Garcia, etc. that pinpoint a position.

Yeah, for the most part I think DVDs are crap. I'm better off just looking specifically for something to help one of my "trouble spots" on Youtube, or just asking someone around the academy to help me.

Oh, I didn't misunderstand, I just took the oppurtunity to post my thoughts uninvited on your thread. Seems to be a lot of talk along these lines recently.
I found your post to be insiteful. It's nice to get the perspective of some one who's in the middle of the path to black, and some thoughts on how you're improving your game. However, I initially thought you misunderstood the post.

Not at all. Do you train regularly? I tap purple belts regularly, but didn't get to train often (only like once per week) for like 6 months. I think thats why I wasn't promoted. Do you vary up your attacks? I know a guy who mowed through everyone, but wasn't promoted because he only did 1 or 2 moves. You have to show that you're versatile.

Attitude has alot to do with as well. It's not about "winning" the rolling sessions with your teammates. You shouldn't measure yourself by others, but you should measure yourself based on your own developement. Are you putting yourself out there trying new positions and techniques, while working on your weaknesses? And Jersey, this isn't meant as a critique, I'm just putting ideas out there based on what my instructors have told me.

I had the blue belt DVD. The DVD itself was this really thin, cheap plastic-y thing. And the picture/sound quality was underwhelming.

And he reminds me of Bruce the Performance Artist.

44988084-13074346.jpg

"Hey there fellas, ready to learn some jiu-jitsu?"

Last edited by a moderator:

No I only train 1-2 a week if that. I vary my attacks and defense constantly, so I don't stay stagnant.

No I only train 1-2 a week if that. I vary my attacks and defense constantly, so I don't stay stagnant.

He may not think that's enough. Maybe he's not even thinking about it much, its just that since he doesn't see your face very often, the thought of "he's ready" doesn't really cross his mind. If you're there 5 or 6 days a week he'll definitely think, "wow he's really been training hard."

You know that Roy lurks/posts here right? You can usually message him or ask him a question directly and he may respond....probably not in this thread though..with all the creepy and gay comments. This subforum is typically above that type of thing, and those sort of comments are how we end up running away the majority of black belts or pros that happen to come around......

But I digress...

Either way, by all accounts he seems like a good guy. I have personally seen him give away a DVD for free to a member here because the guy had to quit training for financial reasons or something...so he is A-Ok in my book, and his teaching style is clear and technical in all the videos I have seen.

Good stuff.

I have both the Blue Belt and the Purple Belt DVD's. It all depends what you are looking for in a DVD.

If you are looking for a bunch of techniques spewed at you, the its not the best DVD for you. But you can get that with every other DVD. I like the purple belt DVD because it is different and shows more combinations and rolling.

IMO you can only watch so many technique DVD's. A lot of them show the same stuff. That's why I really like Cyborg's DVD because he goes over a lot of different stuff (but that is a little off topic).

If you are looking for an encyclopedia of techniques, look elsewhere.

If you are looking for combinations and game planning, then check out this DVD. $45 isn't bad.

Back