Roy Dean's new vid on Side Mount escapes:

Throatpoker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I can't have enough of side mount escapes vids, simply because I suck at them. To those that also do, check this out:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3nDygvk6A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3nDygvk6A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Saw this, it's a great video. Best summary video I've seen.

Only thing I don't like is the lack of "bridging over" escapes.

Does he have any instructionals on escaping kesa gatame? I know how, but I'm open to more options.

Im pretty cool with my side mount escapes, the position I find really really hard to get out of is the north south position, especially if they don't have any intentions to move to another position.

Is north south the same thing as kesa gatame

lovely. I use the first one all the time. The others I can add to my game.

there is a nifty choke from side mount for all my long legged brothers.

with a forarm on the hip, and your other forarm on the throat of ur opponent, (the hand of that arm is on the shoulder) u raise your opponent up and away from you, only enough to trap the arm, pop ur hips and throw a leg over the head, locking it with the other one.

cant find a link but i tries explainin it the best i could.

Does he have any instructionals on escaping kesa gatame? I know how, but I'm open to more options.

ive found that doing a similar spin move as shown on the video works really well,... but it's got to be done as the person is transitioning to it.

so lets say you're on bottom on sidemount and you have your right elbow on the guys hip to prevent him from going northsouth... the second you feel him switch his hips to go kesa you need to underhook your right arm till basicly your right palm is on the guys kidney and then you do the spin out. This also works if your guard is being passed by by a knee slide.

Saw this, it's a great video. Best summary video I've seen.

Only thing I don't like is the lack of "bridging over" escapes.

I was just thinking that a bridging escape would pair well with the one where you push them back by throat with your forearm, and post your bottom elbow to make space, but I dont really know any specific bridging escapes besides putting a hand on their hip, bridging over the far shoulder and driving.

Anyone have any especially effective bridging escapes/set ups?

I like Roy Dean and his instructor Roy Harris. Unfortunately, I missed Roy Harris' seminar on side mount escapes few weeks ago in San Diego, I'm sure this vid goes over some of the things I missed. thnx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back