Rousimar Palhares BJJ Training Question

UrbanSavage**

Pepe Silvia
Reaction score
Was posting on the HW's and a few people said that Toquinho was relatively untrained before he showed up to BTT and was majority self trained and had naturally great takedowns. One guy even said his BJJ coach Fabiano Scherner said that Toquinho was solely self trained when he showed up to BTT and was soonafter promoted to brown belt. It sounded ridiculous but another poster said he'd heard the same thing.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/did-rousimar-palhares-impress-anyone-else-786967/

Fabiano Scherner is my BJJ coach and he used to train at BTT with Palhares. I was talking with Fabiano on Sunday after the fights and he stated that Palhares has some of the best takedowns he has ever seen. He said that Palhares was self trained until he arrived at BTT one day wanting to train, I guess he was tested soon after that and was given a brown belt. Sherner also said that they could never put Palhares and Filho together to train as they were both very good and both very aggressive, Sherner said "it was like putting two pitbulls together...".

I am not making this up... I go to Team Quest in Portland, Fabiano is a coach\fighter who now trains full time with Team Quest

Toquinho is a phenom like Jacare and such. He was completely self trained, and Scherner (team quest coach, trains with Lindland, olympic medalist in wrestling) said that Toquinho has the best takedowns he has seen. Toquinho has like zero bjj exp compared to other grapplers, but he swept the adcc trials, including Romulo... what can I say, he's a natural.. I hope he would go to WW, I wanna see so bad GSP screaming after Toco heel hooks him

So, can anyone back this up?

That definitely sounds ridiculous, to be promoted to brown belt just like that, but his BJJ looked pretty freaking good against Salaverry.

I've heard the self trained thing but I don't know about the brown belt part. I will say anyone beating barral (Even tho No-Gi isn't his strong point) must be an animal which Toquinho is

Evan Tanner was largely self trained, at least at one point in his career. It's possible but the risk of internet rumor/exaggeration is high.

I've 2 stories.

My teacher is from minas gerais, like toquinho, but different school. He stated that toquinho was a farm boy and was ridiculy strong, like taking down cow with one ar around the animal neck.

Another story is from another trainer of mine that went often from italy to train with BTT and he is a very strong man (at BTT they call him "rock man") and tell us that toquino is incredibly strong and when sparring with Murilo Bustamante, Bustamante was saying "plase toquino go easy"

Palhares reminded me of Filho. I would love to see those two spar - see it from a safe distance behind hockey glass, that is ...

Palhares reminded me of Filho. I would love to see those two spar - see it from a safe distance behind hockey glass, that is ...

Bwahahaha!:icon_chee

all i know... is that Palhares is the WIDEST human being i have ever seen in my life. he looks like a character from Narnia.

if you look at some of his fights on youtube, he has some crazy leg locks.

In one fight he goes from a standing back body lock (suplex position) straight into an inverted heel hook. I came in my pants when I saw it.

Was posting on the HW's and a few people said that Toquinho was relatively untrained before he showed up to BTT and was majority self trained and had naturally great takedowns. One guy even said his BJJ coach Fabiano Scherner said that Toquinho was solely self trained when he showed up to BTT and was soonafter promoted to brown belt. It sounded ridiculous but another poster said he'd heard the same thing.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/did-rousimar-palhares-impress-anyone-else-786967/

So, can anyone back this up?

i don't think the whole thing w/ being promoted to brown belt right off the bat is true. i read on a brazilian website (translated) that he was a purple belt going into the ADCC Brazilian trials. Toquinho dominated up until the semi-finals i believe where he leg locked Romulo Barral but BOTH ended up too injured to continue.

anyways, i read that because of his accomplishments in the Trials and submitting black belt Romulo Barral that he was given his brown belt then.

i read that he received his black belt from Bustamante and Bebeo after winning the FuryFC 83KG GP.

Yes I asked Sherner about this again, he said Palhares had no formal training until he came to BTT, shortly after he was promoted to a brown belt.

Fabiano spoke very highly of him and said he had alot of natural ability. Sherner has trained with so many good BJJ guys I tend to believe what he says.

iirc toquinho was never really "formally" trained. But he did have a friend who had like a brown in bjj and he trained with him. Imagine a natual beast never going to a school but training with aeospian that is what toquinho is...

To the point of being a brown belt, though? It just doesn't make sense. All the natural ability in the world won't give you brown belt knowledge of many of the intricacies of BJJ. I just don't understand that. If that were really true, I'd have to imagine more people would've heard about it/been talking about it right after it happened all over the place. Wouldn't it be unprecedented?

after watching last nights episode, i have concluded palhares would smoke the entire cast of TUF season 7, taking them all at the same time

Back