Rousey's avoidance of the media will benefit Nunes. A lot.

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
By dodging all media obligations, Ronda is inadvertently (I assume) helping out her opponent. As we know, it takes a lot of energy to be a rock star, and one of the difficulties of being a champion is dealing with all the media pressure and limelight. At least that's what multiple champions have said. Since Nunes' more popular opponent has dropped off the media map, one of the results is that Nunes has had minimal media obligations herself, thus freeing her up to focus on training and the fight at hand. Also, the lack of publicity has largely kept Nunes out of the limelight, taking another source of pressure off of her.

I'm not sure if the benefits Ronda gets from being a recluse outweigh the benefits that Nunes gets, but this may turn out to not be a good strategy for the challenger.

Being a recluse wasn't a strategy to give her an advantage, it was a strategy to keep her from falling apart.

Ronda is banking on being the better fighter if all things are equal, including promotional obligations.

By dodging all media obligations, Ronda is inadvertently (I assume) helping out her opponent. As we know, it takes a lot of energy to be a rock star, and one of the difficulties of being a champion is dealing with all the media pressure and limelight. At least that's what multiple champions have said. Since Nunes' more popular opponent has dropped off the media map, one of the results is that Nunes has had minimal media obligations herself, thus freeing her up to focus on training and the fight at hand. Also, the lack of publicity has largely kept Nunes out of the limelight, taking another source of pressure off of her.

I'm not sure if the benefits Ronda gets from being a recluse outweigh the benefits that Nunes gets, but this may turn out to not be a good strategy for the challenger.
Except Ronda would have more obligations likely as she is the far bigger name.

Back