Rounds 2 and 3 were too close to call. Thats why everyones arguing. Do a rematch.

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
181514089-432x288.jpg

Rewatch the fight without Joe Rogans dick in your ear, and youll see that both those rounds could easily have been a 10-10.

No one likes awarding a 10-10 so they do the best they can to award each round a winner.

Given that Jones won 4 and 5 in everyone's book, and given that Gus won round 1 in everyone's book, this leaves those two rounds.

If Jones even shaves 1 of them he wins the fight.

I thought Jones won the fight, but given it was close enough that a blinking judge could have given it either way, im going with a rematch.

In a lot of real ways the fight was a draw.

The closest person to actually winning the fight was Jones, and if it had continued, Jones may have his stoppage.

None of this matters however, because thats not how fights are scored.

The bottom line is even fight metric had 2 and 3 within 1 point of each other. (41-42 Gus for 2, and 60-59 Jones for 3)

For both rounds 2 and 3 Jones shaved significant strikes and total strikes for these rounds. The judge who gave him 49-46 isnt insane, they just gave him those 2 rounds.

I dont have an issue with Jones winning, but a rematch is in order, when you win by the ass hair of a flea like that.

ufc-165-jon-jones-alexander-gustafsson.jpg

People should also remember we were watching 2 great fighters and a great fight foremost, and a decision after that.

Last edited:
Also there should be more 10 - 10s.

I have no issue with value judgements and narrow rounds, but if rounds are minicontests and no ones actually done anything to win them, then its a draw.

Watching them 2 throw down again would be entertaining....They match up well...

Watching them 2 throw down again would be entertaining....They match up well...

Agreed. I usually hate rematches, but Jones dominance in the division to this point, and Glovers reluctance to fight for the belt coming off the bader win, suggests (maybe a Davis Glover eliminator and) a Jones v Gus rematch.

It makes sense for the division too.

If Gus loses again then let him go on his warriors quest and mess up a few more people.

If Jones loses then let him do the same.

Not all 49-48s are created equal.

When you have 2 ambiguous rounds in a 49-48, then respect the rematch.

I really don't get what's so hard to score about round 2. Gus got out-struck in volume and impact. People are drunk off the surprise of him stuffing td's and staying in the fight. Fights aren't, nor shouldn't, be scored on a curve or defense.

I really don't get what's so hard to score about round 2. Gus got out-struck in volume and impact. People are drunk off the surprise of him stuffing td's and staying in the fight. Fights aren't, nor shouldn't, be scored on a curve or defense.

And yet, fight metric gave 2 to gus (41-42).

Thats an incredibly close match. Jones could say he definitely won 4 and 5, but 2 and 3 were too close to call.

The fight was effectively a draw, and no one wants to admit it.

If someone needs to win, then give it to Jones, but hes just effectively fought to a 1 point margin in a 25 minute fight.

Rematch.

You're drunk jon, go home.

Gus had 1,2,3 from my seat. They weren't lopsided Gus but they were his. 4 was close and could see jones stealing it with the ending flurry. 5 was jones as well.

Last edited:
It was a very close fight and either fighter could have won 2 and 3. I split them giving round 2 to Gus and round 3 to Jones so I had Jones winning barely the fight.

It was a very close fight and either fighter could have won 2 and 3. I split them giving round 2 to Gus and round 3 to Jones so I had Jones winning barely the fight.

If you want an example of how close this fight was-

If Jones hadnt tagged Gus with that superficial punch on the bell at the end of round 3, he could have lost the fight.

That kind of margin deserves a rematch.

Understand this.

If GSP clearly and emphatically wins 3 rounds against Sheilds and then drops a couple after injuring his eye, thats not a rematch.

Thats an emphatic 3-2.

This was a close 2-1 to jones, and two rounds that were too close to call.

And yet, fight metric gave 2 to gus (41-42).

Thats an incredibly close match. Jones could say he definitely won 4 and 5, but 2 and 3 were too close to call.

The fight was effectively a draw, and no one wants to admit it.

If someone needs to win, then give it to Jones, but hes just effectively fought to a 1 point margin in a 25 minute fight.

Rematch.

And I'm confused as to how they came about that score, while counting the sig strikes as 26-15 Jones. All I can figure is they give heavy credence to TDD, as they put a green box around that category for Gus, but really that shouldn't mean anything just like top position shouldn't.

From my experience, I've learned to put some stock in what Fight Metric says, but more so the heavy media majority has proven more accurate. I've disagreed with it only a couple times. The stats are more reliable, but the eye test always has more potential for validity because it can fill in the gaps a system has.

You're drunk jon, go home.

Gus had 1,2,3 from my seat. They weren't lopsided Gus but they were his. 4 was close and could see jones stealing it with the ending flurry. 5 was jones as well.

You're projecting. Like I said almost all the media scored it for Jones. Were they drunk too?

Also, BTW, are you referring to me as jon because of my user name? Or are you implying I'm actually Jon Jones because of your astonishment that I'm confident he won the fight? If so, that's not such a rational conclusion given my user name is dedicated to mocking him, and I've worked a number of insults toward him over the years here. That would be a good cover though to create the perception he's a better fighter than he is. However, it wouldn't be so positive for his character.

And I'm confused as to how they came about that score, while counting the sig strikes as 26-15 Jones. All I can figure is they give heavy credence to TDD, as they put a green box around that category for Gus, but really that shouldn't mean anything just like top position shouldn't.

From my experience, I've learned to put some stock in what Fight Metric says, but more so the heavy media majority has proven more accurate. I've disagreed with it only a couple times. The stats are more reliable, but the eye test always has more potential for validity because it can fill in the gaps a system has.

I dont trust the media, and i use fight metric and fight matrix ranking system, more as a touch point, usually.

But this fight was close, and those rounds where full of ambiguity from a scoring pov.

Like i said in the other post, jones could have lost the whole fight based on 1 jab.

For me Jones won 2-1, but the fact theres really 2 ambiguous rounds in there, and thats a 49-48 however you cut it, all says rematch.

Of that 49-48, 20-20 is ambiguous.

Davis v Machida was a clearer win than this was.

I dont trust the media, and i use fight metric and fight matrix ranking system, more as a touch point, usually.

But this fight was close, and those rounds where full of ambiguity from a scoring pov.

Like i said in the other post, jones could have lost the whole fight based on 1 jab.

For me Jones won 2-1, but the fact theres really 2 ambiguous rounds in there, and thats a 49-48 however you cut it, all says rematch.

Of that 49-48, 20-20 is ambiguous.

Davis v Machida was a clearer win than this was.

I don't know when close decisions started to mean an instant rematch for the challenger. It didn't go his way. Go get a win or two then try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back