Round kick, getting up on toes help

dwas

White Belt
Reaction score
For kickboxing and muay thai, this seems to be the one thing about the kick that troubles me the most. I used to train shotokan karate, and kicks would always have the supporting leg flat footed and firmly rooted during the kick. It's been ingrained in my muscle memory for any kind of kick and now it's messing me up during my round kicks in kickboxing and muay thai. What tricks, drills can I use to help me get up on the toes for better rotation?

Some gyms in thailand put chalk on your heels, and if you leave a white mark then they beat you with a stick :)

For kickboxing and muay thai, this seems to be the one thing about the kick that troubles me the most. I used to train shotokan karate, and kicks would always have the supporting leg flat footed and firmly rooted during the kick. It's been ingrained in my muscle memory for any kind of kick and now it's messing me up during my round kicks in kickboxing and muay thai. What tricks, drills can I use to help me get up on the toes for better rotation?

This could help you. I'm a big fan of this drill. It's designed to help teach you how to power the kick with your hips, but it emphasizes rotation of the standing foot as well. It's best done, imo, when you point your supporting foot's heel at the target. Even if you don't kick that way, and you don't have to, emphasizing that pivot for the drill could help you.

Watch the whole video by the way. The actual drill in question isn't shown right at the beginning--that's something else, although that could be useful as well. :wink:

This could help you. I'm a big fan of this drill. It's designed to help teach you how to power the kick with your hips, but it emphasizes rotation of the standing foot as well. It's best done, imo, when you point your supporting foot's heel at the target. Even if you don't kick that way, and you don't have to, emphasizing that pivot for the drill could help you.

Watch the whole video by the way. The actual drill in question isn't shown right at the beginning--that's something else, although that could be useful as well. :wink:

I use the first drill shown to increase hip flexibility and pivot, but the leg that's being held should be kept straight rather than bending your knee down like you do in a kick.

I practice coming up on the toe by stepping up on a box. Step up on it, driving up on your toe at the top and pushing you opposite hip fwd. Step down then repeat with the opposite side. I use it for knees normally, but it should get you used to lifting your heel up. If you can get used to the two drills you should see results.

The second part of the video I don't like. I use this time of kick to push people back into the corner, but its not how a normal kick should land. A normal kick should be fast and land with an impact not a push, his leg should be straighter also.

I use the first drill shown to increase hip flexibility and pivot, but the leg that's being held should be kept straight rather than bending your knee down like you do in a kick.

I practice coming up on the toe by stepping up on a box. Step up on it, driving up on your toe at the top and pushing you opposite hip fwd. Step down then repeat with the opposite side. I use it for knees normally, but it should get you used to lifting your heel up. If you can get used to the two drills you should see results.

The second part of the video I don't like. I use this time of kick to push people back into the corner, but its not how a normal kick should land. A normal kick should be fast and land with an impact not a push, his leg should be straighter also.

Well, it's not to mimic a kick. It's to develop the sensation of using the hip in the kick. People who have bad kicks almost always cannot push a heavy bag or person away from them in this fashion, and that's because they're usually not recruiting their hip. It's just a drill, not a slowed down kick or anything. My first coach had us do it, and it was very helpful for me.

I tape my feet between knuckle of feet to before ankle.
It does sort of a ballerina shoe so I can stand on toes.
My feet have super huge arch or are spoon shaped.

Some gyms in thailand put chalk on your heels, and if you leave a white mark then they beat you with a stick

For trainning purpose maby but doing that all the time is terrible.
A chopping downward calf kick or upward under the calf kick and you are on your ass.

Back