Rotation when throwing a punch

-V-MuayThai-V-

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hey, i'm fairly new to muay thai and i had a question with punching technique that hopefully someone can help me with....

When you throw a punch, i know it's supposed to start at your legs go through your hips through your shoulders and get delivered by your fist but my questions...

do you want to bring out your punch after you rotated the hips, or during the rotation...?

like, do you want the punch to be your whole body moving into it in unision, or thrown in parts.... legs to hips to shoulders to snap?

Sorry if the question's a bit confusing hopefully someone can help me out though....

-V-MuayThai-V- said:
hey, i'm fairly new to muay thai and i had a question with punching technique that hopefully someone can help me with....

When you throw a punch, i know it's supposed to start at your legs go through your hips through your shoulders and get delivered by your fist but my questions...

do you want to bring out your punch after you rotated the hips, or during the rotation...?

like, do you want the punch to be your whole body moving into it in unision, or thrown in parts.... legs to hips to shoulders to snap?

Sorry if the question's a bit confusing hopefully someone can help me out though....

During, and in unison.
Imagine if you stopped the waist rotation cold before throwing the punch. Then you would have lost all the benefits of the added speed. You'd end up with an arm punch. The same applies with the other movements; they should happen as you move the fist, to add speed and power to the punch.

i disagree , each segment should move slighter after the one before , not in unison. wen it moves in unison then u get a combined muscular effort but not much velocity buildup becuz there is no stretch reflex. if it is delivered sequentially u will get similar muscular effort , but becuz of the stretch reflex u will get a hell of a lot of snap.

dont think about it tho as the gap is too short , jus think to use ur legs to create power and let ur body do it itself.

I was thinking about it in the same way an olympic lifter does cleans. They use their whole body in the lift but the momentum starts in their legs and then goes upward through their body when getting the momentum....

So would doing olympic lifts help me coordinate my muscles to be better able to punch with better technique?

I've been lifting weights for a couple years but I never tried olympic lifts because I always feared having bad form.

Thanks for the responses I appreciate it.

-V-MuayThai-V- said:
I was thinking about it in the same way an olympic lifter does cleans. They use their whole body in the lift but the momentum starts in their legs and then goes upward through their body when getting the momentum....

So would doing olympic lifts help me coordinate my muscles to be better able to punch with better technique?

I've been lifting weights for a couple years but I never tried olympic lifts because I always feared having bad form.

Thanks for the responses I appreciate it.
You need to train the punch to better coordinate your muscles for it. Just take some time on the bag and observe your form. Try variations to see which ones produce more power and speed. Just learn from varying your technique and improve upon it. Don't sweat it if you don't improve quickly. You'll be able to figure out with practice and coaching.

meng_mao said:
During, and in unison.
Imagine if you stopped the waist rotation cold before throwing the punch. Then you would have lost all the benefits of the added speed. You'd end up with an arm punch. The same applies with the other movements; they should happen as you move the fist, to add speed and power to the punch.

yeah, what he said.

meng_mao said:
You need to train the punch to better coordinate your muscles for it. Just take some time on the bag and observe your form. Try variations to see which ones produce more power and speed. Just learn from varying your technique and improve upon it. Don't sweat it if you don't improve quickly. You'll be able to figure out with practice and coaching.

agreed, but olympic and powerlifting lifts will take ur speed and explosiveness to another level. technique is #1 , but once u have the technique pretty much down u NEED to start doin those kinds of lifts to develop serious power.

parallax86 said:
agreed, but olympic and powerlifting lifts will take ur speed and explosiveness to another level. technique is #1 , but once u have the technique pretty much down u NEED to start doin those kinds of lifts to develop serious power.
I think you should work on technique for several months before you start on lifting for power. There a lot of muscular endurance and posturing that you should have down cold.

Back