• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rose KO over Zhang is highly overated

Where are the Just Bleed Mods who have a great opportunity to make an example of the TS and offing his head.

It was a beautifully set up and executed kick, it was more than just "random throwed kick got lucky" logic you have. I feel bad for anyone that has to listen to your opinions.
Was it KO of the year? no but it was still a great KO.

Just stop it TS with this, is a great finish move on with your life.

I think it's been praised a bit too much. It was a nice switch but other than that idk..Wasn't much behind it but there was enough to scramble the head given the opening she caused. It was a higher profile fight so you have to always take that into consideration when dealing with hype.

Rose said Pat and her practiced this specific kick many times. She knew what she was doing, it seems. It didn't look like a power shot, crisp and muscled up. I mean she isn't crop cop after all. but it worked.

A good kick shouldn't be muscled up though but relaxed and lashed out with full extension like a whip with top speed through the target. This is true for both tkd and muay thai kicks though the form and source of power is different for the two martial arts . The more you tense up and muscle up with the kick the slower and therefore the weaker it is.

Namajunas' ko kick was a lead foot turning kick with sliding footwork straight out of tkd sparring which she was very familiar with being originally a black belt in tkd. It had plenty of power and the crispness was self evident. The beauty of it is that zhang had over trained in muay thai to the point she had become more unfamiliar with fighting a karate or tkd fighter in the way rhey step in and had acquired in particular that bad habit in failing to protect her head adequately or at all when she swayed her hips back to avoid the calf kick. So when namajunas stepped in with her lead leg and looked at zhang"s lead leg zhang assumed a calf kick was coming and through force of habit did the sway baj which brought her chin forward and up and her arms opened up.

Namajunas disguised the fact that she was acualy in range to kick zhang's head and not only her calf by sliding the rear standing leg behind the her lead leg. This trick brought her into rrangereach zhang's head - this sliding footwork was the most vital key to the ko. Namajunas' standing leg was now much closer to zhang than zhang realised and enabled namajunas to launch her kick at a trajectory within zhang's guard and thus unseen by her - which is exactly what happened.

So far from a fluke shot, it was a cleverly premeditated, practised and coached and strategised move that took advantage of Namajunas' specific abilities and zhang's fatal flaw.

It was a very good KO, but certainly not anything that will be a KO of the year contender or an all time great KO.

giphy.gif

- She throwed a random high kick like you saw ten times per event

- Zhang expected a low-middle kick so tried to avoid that

- So its more Zhang fault for misreading the shot than Rose credit for throwing a wonderful shoot out of nowhere, the kick was not even fast or powerfull, Zhang just give her head, made a huge mistake

Usman and Jiri KO are way more impressive

Discuss

You wanna kno what I think dude?

Zhang beats Rose 99 times out of 100.

Imo, this win is like McGregor's win over Aldo.

Does it mean something? Absolutely.

Does it mean this is gonna happen 9/10 or even 5/10 times they fight?

I don't think so. I think there is a good bit of luck that goes into it, less so than Masvidal vs Askren but more so than Ngannou starching Overeem for example.

Does it mean this is gonna happen 9/10 or even 8/10 times they fight?

I don't think so. I think there is a good bit of luck that goes into it, less so than Masvidal vs Askren but more so than Ngannou starching Overeem for example.
Except neither of those had anything to do with luck lol

I think it's been praised a bit too much. It was a nice switch but other than that idk..Wasn't much behind it but there was enough to scramble the head given the opening she caused. It was a higher profile fight so you have to always take that into consideration when dealing with hype.

Why do u say it was a switch kick? FRom my recollection it was a lead turning kick done after she stepped in wth the same lead leg. It was a powerful lead turning kick by tkd standards and as it was evident,there was more than enough force to immediately drop as tough a fighter as zhang who was not dropped even once in her Joanne slugfest.

I don't think luck had anything to do with it at all.

This was a move that was anticipated and coached and practiced over and over again because her team spotted a fatal flaw in zhang's technique.

Namajunas set up the move perfectly by feinting the call kick and like a puppet zhang responded exactly how namajunas's team anticipated she would react.

With respect, you do a disservice to the quality of what nanajunas and her team did by attributing it to luck.

Does it mean this is gonna happen 9/10 or even 5/10 times they fight?

Last edited:
I don't think luck had anything to do with it at all.

This was a move that was anticipated and coached and practiced over and over again because her team spotted a fatal flaw in zhang's technique.

Namajunas set up the move perfectly by fainting the call kick and like a puppet zhang responded exactly how namajunas's team anticipated he would react.

With respect, you do a disservice to the quality of what nanajunas and her team did by attributing it to luck.

I said it means something, mostly about Rose's power, speed, timing, and gameplan. But you have to admit that there is also a factor of luck—getting lucky that Zhang really did follow her programming, and getting lucky that the kick completely rocked her shit when we've seen Zhang take similar shots in the Joanna fight without slowing down.

My point is that this win doesn't mean that Rose starches her in a rematch. There are matches between fighters with much larger skill gaps that go to a decision. The skill gap here isn't massive so part of this win—not all of it, but part of it—is circumstance and luck.

Last edited:
Back