Ronin Athletics Review

tonyazilla123

White Belt
Reaction score
Im posting this for a friend who is interested in Ronin Athletics gym can anyone please give reviews or comments about this gym Pros and cons.

Head coach Christian Montes is an excellent coach and very laid back. Everyone who's met him has nothing but good things to say about him. He breaks down and explains all the little intricacies of moves. Has a unique "aliveness" concept in training coming from Straight Blast Gym background. Students of his are very active in the tournament circuit and do very well in events including Grapplers Quest, NAGA, Gracie Nationals, etc. and smaller events. Just check their website to see current news for an idea of the school's performance in competition.

How about overall mma progress because my friend wants to be a mma fighter is striking and overall mma program good besides just grappling

Head coach Christian Montes is an excellent coach and very laid back. Everyone who's met him has nothing but good things to say about him. He breaks down and explains all the little intricacies of moves. Has a unique "aliveness" concept in training coming from Straight Blast Gym background. Students of his are very active in the tournament circuit and do very well in events including Grapplers Quest, NAGA, Gracie Nationals, etc. and smaller events. Just check their website to see current news for an idea of the school's performance in competition.

how is aliveness unique -- basically it means you spar and just don't do kata.

thornton was just saying jkd is bullshit.

boxing, mt, bjj and wrestling are all about sparring.

^ no, "aliveness" is more than just sparring. The way they use it, you drill a new movement first with an unresisting opponent, then as the class proceeds your partner will apply more resistance, then attempt countering, and by the end of class you're both sparring full force, trying to use the submission you learned that day. Haven't seen other BJJ gyms use this approach.

What's your point about Thornton/JKD? Who's taking about JKD? Ronin isn't a JKD school.

Tony, to answer your question, although they do have some standup classes (look at the schedule posted on their site) the gym is primarily focued on BJJ. For pure MMA you might wanna check on Renzo's.

^ no, "aliveness" is more than just sparring. The way they use it, you drill a new movement first with an unresisting opponent, then as the class proceeds your partner will apply more resistance, then attempt countering, and by the end of class you're both sparring full force, trying to use the submission you learned that day. Haven't seen other BJJ gyms use this approach.

What's your point about Thornton/JKD? Who's taking about JKD? Ronin isn't a JKD school.

Tony, to answer your question, although they do have some standup classes (look at the schedule posted on their site) the gym is primarily focued on BJJ. For pure MMA you might wanna check on Renzo's.

lol,

ok, do some research. thornton came up with "aliveness". he was doing jkd and didn't like that you did not spar. saw bjj and saw that it was alive because you went against resisting opponents.

yeah, with bjj you spar and you do drills against resisting opponent, but the resistance is much more when you spar and that is why i just wrote spar.

all bjj schools have aliveness and so do all MT/boxing/wrestling classes but most TMAs do not and have that kata bs instead.

Tony, to answer your question, although they do have some standup classes (look at the schedule posted on their site) the gym is primarily focued on BJJ. For pure MMA you might wanna check on Renzo's.[/QUOTE]

Ohh dam I didnt like Renzo's its mad expensive and I wasnt comfortable with atmosphere do you have any other suggestions or my friend will just end up doing muay thai for a couple of years lol

Ohh dam I didnt like Renzo's its mad expensive and I wasnt comfortable with atmosphere do you have any other suggestions or my friend will just end up doing muay thai for a couple of years lol[/QUOTE]

I would suggest have your friend look into New York jiu Jitsu. They have an excellent MMA program lead by Anthony Leone, XCFL Bantamweight champion and WEC fighter. He trained with BJ Penn in Hilo for a year and a half and has sick wrestling as well. They offer allot of classes too and they have an octagon cage. hope this helps.

mrclean we talked before and you still havent told about the price you can give me for the gym

mrclean we talked before and you still havent told about the price you can give me for the gym

Hey Tony, sorry I haven't forgot about you just took a little time for me to get an answer from the right person, I did the best I could and they are willing to work with you. Go and talk to Sean there and he will hook you up. I'll PM you the details.

Hey. I actually train at Ronin. I've done so since December. It's a good school and ultimately was the right fit for me. It's actually changed affiliations and now is with Felipe Costa now. Christian is very laid back and is very active in the submission grappling tournaments. Everyone is pretty laid back as well and are more than willing to help anyone with any technique. A lot of people there compete in grappling tournaments, so there is that edge. If your friend is just starting out, then this is a perfect place to learn the basics at a reasonable cost.

Here's a seminar that we did with Christian: Photos - MMA in NYC (Mixed Martial Arts Club) (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

People complained about AC, but I like the environment. It reminds me of Rocky's gym. Christian also believes that initial training should be more ground focused. Makes sense since most mma eventually goes to the ground or you have to employ TD defense to keep it standing.

NYJJ is more expensive, but great quality instruction and facilities. In fact we have a seminar set up with them August 21. Join the group and come check it out. If you like it then you can get a discount off of training:
New York Jiu Jitsu - MMA in NYC (Mixed Martial Arts Club) (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

This is all part of the efforts of Legalize NY MMA Now, where one aspect of what we do is try to better educate about mma. So I hope that helps you, TS.

Follow us on Facebook:
Welcome to Facebook

Last edited:
What about the overall mma aspect at Ronin Athletics excpet grappling would ronins become a good gym for me to compete in mma and not only grappling competitions as you mentioned

I thought this was for a friend . . .

They train mma there so every aspect of mma is covered, and every gym is different. I would suggest you go and try it out to see if its your fit as well as various other gyms. I am not going to try and oversell it to you just because I train there. All I can say is that it's a solid gym. If anything, you are going to learn the fundamentals really well of critical aspects of training at Ronin. If you are serious about wanting to compete, I would get those things down first. At Ronin's, it just had a good vibe for me. There are plenty of quality gyms out there, but it's all up to you or your friend to find a gym that's more you style. Feel free to contact Christian and just check it out. I would also suggest coming to NYJJ on August 21.

However, before you go into mma you probably want to test yourself in a couple of tournaments (Muay Thai or submission wrestling) first, and then decide with your coach when you are ready.

lol yea my friend answered to that post cuz he was on my account so yea it is for my friend why would i lie about that. But anyways sounds good im pretty sure hes going to try it out

i did a trial no gi lunch class about 2 years ago.

Christian was a really cool guy. But it was f'in hot in there.

He has been a damn purple belt forever. I was wondering what was up and once i saw costa go there i figured they may be changing affiliations and i know he is buddies with ryan hall as i think ryan started bjj at ronin's.

did they get showers yet?

Oh okay. I was just confused that's all. In any case, your friend should come out and see what the gym is like. Christian is just a cool coach.

@Mat Nemesis - It is hot in there, but I think it's intentional. Something about getting better training and conditioning. The Kyokushinkai dojos here in NY do the same thing. It definitely gives it that feel about it like when Rocky walked into Apollo Creed's gym. But they do have a shower now at least. Ha ha! Which gym did you end up at, Mat?

hey chairman- just curious if you still train at ronins?

I used to go to Ronin and it is a straight up BJJ school and not an MMA school.

They have some Muay Thai classes but no real sparring. Also, they have wrestling only on Saturday. Again, this is really a BJJ centric school.

Back