Ronda Rousey= Most accomplished fighter with least competent head coach?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by blacknblue104, Dec 28, 2016.

1. blacknblue104

blacknblue104 Blue Belt

I seriously can't name a fighter who's won a World Title and defended it 5 times who had such a terrible coach. Not in boxing, kickboxing, MMA, nothing else...Johny Hendricks had a pretty bad corner when he was champion, but I think Ronda's is even worse.

It's downright hilarious to go back and watch her old fights...Seeing Edmond stand in the same corner as Renner Gracie and Gene LeBell and act like he is actually on their level is hilarious.

If Ronda loses hopefully that marks the end of Edmond coaching fighters in the UFC...I seriously don't like to say that about people but Edmond is a total fucking scumbag and a leach, no way to say it politely.

2. The Best JG

The Best JG Platinum Nation!!

Ya i guess ur right

Was gonna take a shot at conor here but ronda is more accomplished so u win

Canned Tuna likes this.
  3. HeDucking

HeDucking Im so Groovy Banned

Ronda was an Olympian, there was little doubt she would succeed in MMA. However, to succeed like she did and put WMMA on the map is extraordinary. Maybe surrounding her self with "yes" men and people who compliment her were needed for her to be successful.

4. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Yeah, he's pretty much done if she retires, along with Travis Browne. But I wouldn't be too worried about him because he has a butt load of after school kids. Knowing Edmond, I am sure he's been actively scouting for a new kid to mentor.

5. Les Vejtibals

Les Vejtibals Brown Belt

Nope!

It's Cain and Bob Cook.
    Or:
    Luke and Bob Cook
    Or:
    Cormier and Bob Cook
    Ah Turds, Bob Cook's the man.

6. faustian

faustian I'M NOT A MONSTER Platinum Member

James Thompson's coach was literally his collection of boxing and bjj DVDs lmao

I think Rich Franklin did the same thing iirc

7. blacknblue104

blacknblue104 Blue Belt

Ronda being an Olympian didn't make it an automatic lock that she would be successful at MMA...Look at Sara McMann, she got knocked out by Amanda Nunes and she is an Olympic Silver Medalist.

Henry Cejudo just lost his last two fights and he is a Gold Medalist...Daniel Cormier and Dan Henderson both have gotten outwrestled in MMA by non-Olympians.

Ronda was able to translate her Judo game to MMA despite having a shitty MMA coach. I know her hyper-aggressive Judo style was well suited for MMA, but she definitely made adjustments to it as well.

One of the things that always impressed me about Ronda was how well she adapted to defending ground and pound with her sweeps/transitions/submission attempts. Not every grappler is able to do that.

It just makes me wonder how her career would have turned out if she walked into King's MMA or Alliance MMA instead of GFC.

Sparkie likes this.
  8. Ottawaguy

Ottawaguy Gold Belt

She is a wmma pioneer for sure, but the level of competition has just started picking up in the last 2 years.

9. HaikenEdge

HaikenEdge Rationality will win the day.

I mean, do you count Rousey's mother as her coach? I mean, I assume we have to give her some credit for teaching Rousey judo.

PutUpYourDux likes this.
  10. Huligani

Huligani Number One Bullshit Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]

biscuitsbrah and Rum like this.
  11. War Pig

War Pig Brown Belt

I assume you are capable of identifying who is a good coach and who is a bad one so perhaps you can go into detail on why Edmund is such a horrible coach. Just saying he's horrible doesn't mean anything. I know how limited Ronda was when she started off in MMA and how far she's come in trying to be a well rounded fighter.

THECYNDlCATE likes this.
  12. funksoulbrother

funksoulbrother I'm the guy that drinks the beer

Who is Edmonds other successful disciples?

13. The Best JG

War pigs one of the goat songs but this is fucking ridiculous do u even mma?

Great champ ur doing great champ keep it up uve got her

Did u even watch the holly holm fight?

14. War Pig

War Pig Brown Belt

I'm not familiar with everyone who trains at his gym. I know some pro boxers train there.

So back to my question to OP, what makes Edmund a bad coach?

Edmund was actually giving her good advice during the fight. He kept telling her to keep her hands up but because she was already hurt early in the 1st round she probably went into auto pilot and didn't know where she was.

A coach can't do shit if a fighter isn't listening.

Got any more examples or are you just going to parrot what everyone else says? Ronda lost a fight so now she sucks, her coach sucks and everyone associated with her sucks as well. That's just dumb.

It's never been about Ronda being a boxer. Ronda uses her boxing to close distance and get into the clinch where she's dominant. She's a grappler and a submission artist. Show me how Edmund has failed in that regard.

Do I even mma? Grow up. Better yet, watch some of Ronda's fights early in her career and tell me there isn't a noticeable and dramatic difference. Before she took the Holly fight on short notice she had stopped 3 of her last 4 opponents with strikes and had (2) 1 punch KO's.

Streeter likes this.
  15. The Best JG

Im not parroting shit u fucking white knight. Between round 1 and 2 he did not even mention commiting to a take down which was her only hope to win the fight, u ever heard of win conditions u fucking amateur competitor. She was not going to win by striking, it was obvious. Edmund is shit

Estudante and dmwalking like this.
  16. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

WMMA is on par with amateur mens MMA today and when Ronda came around it was on par with UFC 1. You don't need a competent coach to do well you just need 1 successful skill (judo)

17. War Pig

War Pig Brown Belt

Oh look the hater just got triggered. You must have missed Ronda going for 2 take downs and coming up empty. Holly was just more prepared to beat Ronda than Ronda was to beat her. That's not necessarily Edmund's fault, considering the fight was moved up 2 months from when it was originally scheduled and Holly had been training to beat Ronda since she came into the UFC because she was guaranteed a title shot at some point.

Let's see how Ronda does with a full camp and an opponent she can fully prepare for. The results up until the Holly fight had been pretty damn impressive. (11) 1st round finishes in 12 fights and 10 of those 12 finishes within 1 minute. 7 successful title defenses in a row. If anyone else had a record like that nobody would be questioning the coaching.

18. The Best JG

Jesus dude
    {<BJPeen}

We're talking about edmund, not ronda. Listen to his advice between rounds.

Hes a shit coach. Only reason anyone knows his name is because an olympic medal winning athlete, trained by her mother, decided to stop by his gym

He is her striking coach

[​IMG]

19. War Pig

War Pig Brown Belt

Her record speaks for itself. Name another female fighter with better coaching that has a better record.

20. The Best JG

^^ thanks to her Judo, which her mom trained her in. Like i said, edmund is her striking coach.

[​IMG]

Estudante and Squish II like this.