Ronda / Conor and AQ (Adversity Quotient) - Case Studies

unclemilty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most of us are familiar with IQ (Intelligence Quotient) and EQ (Emotional Intelligence Quotient). Yesterday, for the first time, I heard of the concept AQ, or Adversity Quotient. Basically this is a scale whereby one's response to adversity can be measured:
1) At the bottom of the hierarchy are those who simply cannot deal with adversity; they are utterly "broken" by bad events in their lives.
2) Moving up the scale you find those who can cope with adversity; they do not necessarily flourish when the unfortunate transpires, however they can narrowly squeeze by and avoid being broken.
3) Even higher on the scale are those who persevere through adversity. They easily overcome obstacles.
4) At the top of the scale are those who harness adversity. They find a way to embrace the negative situation in front of them and turn it around for gain.

In recent UFC history we have witnessed opposite ends of the spectrum in how Ronda and Conor have dealt with their respective losses. Given their incredible success before adversity struck, they make for a great illustration of the AQ concept.

In Ronda's case, she became suicidal and a recluse. It does not appear that she improved her striking to close the glaring gap in her arsenal. The results of this were an even more devastating loss whereby she was made to look completely foolish in the ring. She succumbed to adversity and it appears her fighting career is over at a relatively young age.

On the other hand, Conor was handily beaten by Nate Diaz. Conor realized why he lost, went back to the drawing board and arrived at a more intelligent game plan; by focusing on kickboxing to maintain his guard and not chasing a low probability quick knockout, he was able to inflict significant damage on his opponent over 5 rounds and ultimately capture a victory. He harnessed adversity and ultimately made himself a better fighter from it. As a result, his stock has never been higher.

How does everyone else feel about this and where would you put other fighters on this scale?
Fedor?
Silva?
Lawler?
Cruz?
Cain?
Lesnar?
Jones?

I think males will tend to be better in this regard. Female hormones play a big role in their ability to process stressful situations without having their emotions take them down the wrong path.

Fedor: Uncertain, probably 2 or 3 seeing as prior to getting molly wopped by Hendo and Werdum, as far as I know, his adversity would be occasionally be getting rocked or whatever in a fight, but he didn't give up fighting or turn into a baby. He does avoid big fights nowadays though.
Silva: 4 or 3
Lawler: 4
Cruz: 4
Cain: Hard to say, he's been injured so much, but he manages to deal with it all relatively well and keeps trying. 4 or 3
Lesnar: 2
Jones: No idea, he deals with adversity pretty well, but he's never lost or really got his ass kicked. The closest thing is being ridiculed endlessly for his mishaps and the Gus fight so likely 4, but it may be 3.

Frankie Edgar personifies the attitude of overcoming adversity.
Fight to fight and round to round, his career was about winning despite being the underdog.
Years after he lost the lightweight title, he still challenged twice for the featherweight title.

Dominick Cruz and Cain Velasquez are other great examples.

They are different people, and I think that Ronda was marinated in an even more toxic stew of hype than Conor. She blew up way faster than Conor and had even crazier things said about her than he did. Also I think the people she surrounded herself with were not as good with helping her deal with adversity and fall out.

What about Michael Bisping? That guy has been on the receiving end of tons of adversity in and out of the ring. Through it all, he is now the middleweight champion.

I think males will tend to be better in this regard. Female hormones play a big role in their ability to process stressful situations without having their emotions take them down the wrong path.

Not only this, but let's keep in mind Ronda's personality seems to be really passive aggressive and she just as emotional problems, period.

Someone like Valentina Shevchenko or Lina Lansberg though not top tier she is very mentally hard. Hard as stone.
Even Cyborg cried from hurtful words.

Back