rolling with pros at seminars (etiquette)

philo beddoe

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not train MMA at a school

I took martial arts for 3 years in college and only watch instructionals these days

I am curious when you have a pro do a seminar at your school and people get to roll with them....how hard do people go at the pro

I would want to go 100% just to see how long I could last but at the same time I wouldn't want to look like I'm trying to be some kind of a hero

is there any etiquette to this or when you are dealing with pros...they don't care cause they are used to it (won't be offended)

I'm sure the result will be the same regardless

Yes there is etiquette, the guy is there to teach you not have a challenge match with every nobody that is clueless enough to not know how whipped they would get if the pro opened up on them.

Go full on just don't do any dirty tricks. It probably won't do you or the club you represent any favours. Most pros will be able to tool you regardless of how hard you try. If you are concerned about it, ask before you roll "do you mind if we go 100%?"

if you ask you'll get answered to go as hard as you want.

I'd go 100% but trying to be smooth, like pure technique not trying to overpower the moves.

Oktavius said:
Yes there is etiquette, the guy is there to teach you not have a challenge match with every nobody that is clueless enough to not know how whipped they would get if the pro opened up on them.

lol that was a good line

I couldn't help but think of old kung fu movies when you said challenge matches

Against a pro, try to pay attention to how they react to your movements, sub and escape attempts and just learn as much as possible in that opportunity.

You're probably gonna get schooled regardless but if you turn it down a notch you might learn alot more while getting schooled.

btw I am not referring to any part of the "instructional" phase of the seminar

I hear people on here saying "so-and-so" pro tapped out everybody in under 2 minutes during what sounds like a free sparring session

the free sparring phase is what I am asking about

If you ask him to roll (and I'm talking BJJ), he will take it like a challenge and he'll kick your ass. Not even talking about "can we go 100% percent". If he ask you to roll with him or if he roll with everybody, roll as you like but don't ask that kind of questions. Here's a story for you:
This year I've been to my 2nd Royce seminar (there were a lot of whites - including me, hoping to get my blue; about 10 blues; 1 purple; and some other guys with their own system belts). First day I asked Royce "Do you ever roll with white belts at your seminars?", he said "Yes!". He sparred with a few people, none of them white belt. Second day, he didn't get into rolling and 10 minutes before the end I asked him again "You are not rolling today?" and he replied "Yeah, I'm rolling". After 2 minutes he called me and a blue belt (who trained for a few weeks at Barra in Rio) and he said: "NEVER EVER ask I higher belt to roll with you. They'll take it as a challenge and will kick your ass". We both said: "Sorry, we didn't know". He replied: "It's OK, I found out last year in Brasil". I guess he was making fun of us, but anyway he rolled for 3 - 4 minutes with me than with the other guy.
Another thing, before the first rolling session Royce told eveybody: "I don't have a car. Don't break any hand".

tudor_bjj said:
"NEVER EVER ask I higher belt to roll with you. They'll take it as a challenge and will kick your ass". We both said: "Sorry, we didn't know". He replied: "It's OK, I found out last year in Brasil". I guess he was making fun of us, but anyway he rolled for 3 - 4 minutes with me than with the other guy.
Another thing, before the first rolling session Royce told eveybody: "I don't have a car. Don't break any hand".

Yes, never ask a higher up to roll with you. If you want to roll with a higher belt, sit there, look at him/her, and make eye contact. They will get the hint, because they know the culture. Generally speaking, no higher belt wants to be schooled by a lower belt, and therefore they try to teach you a lesson if you do challenge them.

Always be very friendly with the seminar host and guest. Do not make them feel uncomfortable. And challenging them, in whatever way YOU think is appropriate is just wrong. Even if you think you are being polite you may come off as an asshole. Everyone is different. But I can say from experience Brazilians don't take challenges lightly. They have a high Machismo factor inbred into the culture. This is especially amplified by the belt differences.

Also take into consideration many of these pro's fight for a living. They don't need a freak training accident like a broken finger or worse caused by some spaztastic newbie who wanted to show everyone how big his balls, and how small his brain actually is. Maybe the pro doesn't want to roll. Maybe he did 3 privates earlier in the afternoon, has a fight in a week and is just trying to scrape some cash to make ends meet. He isn't obligated to roll with every single Tom, Dick, or Tard who wants to 'feel his technique'. You feel his technique during the instructional phase. If he wants to roll, it is a priviledge and is HIS decision with whom he rolls.

i always roll at 50% in class, then i go 75% at seminars.

lol at never asking a higher belt to roll with you

what bs, i always make a point of asking them, not as a sign of disrespect but to learn, when we roll i learn where my holes are, if i'm always rolling with white belts it's give and take and i don't see the gaps.

ask me all you want if you rank lower than me, i know you will be gunning for my belt, i dont care.
i may even let you have your way....for a little while

Ask first if you can go 100% with him during the rolling. If he says no....do it anyway and tap a pro.

Yeah i call bs to not asking higher grades for a roll, how the fuck am i supposed to get better if im rolling with ppl making the same mistakes i am all the time?

The better the person you roll with, the better you get.

Back