rolling with fat guys

relapselve

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My teacher makes me roll with a huge fat guy at my gym all the time, the guy is well over 300 ibs and does nothing but use his weight to keep a position on you. I am 6'4 and weigh 215 pounds so i am not that small but when the guy has 100 pounds on you and you can't really move it becomes really irritating. Anyone else have issues like mine?

Use your legs to keep distance. Instead of using closed guard, you can try open guard instead. To create space and take his back, or catch him off balance and get into the top guard at least. It is much easier for you to work your game from there.

I know 300 seems like a lot, but at 6'4" 215 you aren't exactly small either. You should be able to use your long legs to keep him away if you practice it.

Does he have skills? If not then use him as a cardio dummy. Basically like rolling with a heavy bag. If he gets the mount, North south, half guard or stacks you, then work on escaspe technique. I am 5-11 and weigh 265, So I have to roll with smaller guys all the time. Usually because my skills are lacking and I get my ass handed to me. I always hear the same thing after we roll, "It was a good workout." To be honest with you. I take that that as a compliment. Simply, because at least something good is coming out of it.

I am just a noob whitebelt but I have learned this the hard way, that skill and technique will always prevail over size and power. Also that these human sausages or these muscle heads all have an obvious weakness CARDIO.

no he doesnt really have alot of skills, he relies mostly on his size. It's just as sson as he gets north-south, side control or mount he just tries his hardest to keep you there.

relapselve said:
no he doesnt really have alot of skills, he relies mostly on his size. It's just as sson as he gets north-south, side control or mount he just tries his hardest to keep you there.

When I played football we had this drill called the pancake drill. For those of you who played HS or College football you know what i am talking about.

Then if all he is doing is riding you like a Boogie-Board then do what people do to me when I do that. They simply tap and if he does it again tap again. Eventually, it will frustrate him to the point where he will either commit to a sub attempt or he will not want to roll with you anymore.

I am 5'10 250 and am very sensitive about using my weight...since I started I was told its about technique, not size or strength...Because of Renzo and others drilling that into my head, when new people roll w/ me they are like "damn, you roll like you are 150 instead of 250"...But I do need to be less shy about using my weight

the point being I can smother browns into an americana, but is that jiu-jitsu?

yes it is bjj is using technique and your size to get a win im small and i use that for fancy pases and squezing to the back
if you are heavy you can get ,=mount and crush untill americana or a shoulder turn!

You think YOU have it bad? LOL. At my school , I'm the smallest guy there at 5'8.5, 155lbs approx. One thing I've learnt when rolling with fat guys: the upa is almost useless because you can't feel their hip bones thru their belly fat!

me 5'10". 150lbs exactly. My friend and training partnet, 5'9" 270lbs consistantly. He has no neck at all, I have never been able to slide anything in without trying damn hard to pull his head back with a cross face, and is ridiculously strong. I am pretty athletic, but last night I caught an awesome triangle, and he really tried to rampage slam me, and it was not slow! I jumped off at chest height and got back to my feet, but I was definately surprised.
I cannot get a full guard around him, he is very hard to move, and as mentionted, is strong and seems to be unchokeable. lately I have been trying to either get him down first of see if I can go for some legs.

Sounds like you need to work on your technique more and this is the perfect guy for you. Stop complaining.

If he is fat, take his back.. shit it even rhymes.. you know it works.

Some times its tough.. they are discusting so you dont want to grab them.. you get smothered even when they are not trying to smother you..Just keep fighting the guy.. There is going to be no one answer tips.. Experience is the only sound explanation.

Nice..now you know how all the smaller guys you roll with feel about you!

I sparred this guy at 265 lbs and then I was 147 lbs, I tapped this guy freqently he thought he had skill when actually he had no skill dispite extensive trainin... however i once belly to back suplexed him and once did a double leg and picked hom up si high it bruised my arms when i slammed him to the floor...point of story 100 lbs isent that much if the guy has No skill, as someone else said dont work closed guard, try gettin the back, bu most importent i find to move because if you try holding someone down thats almost double youe weight he will reverse with pure strenght, the second a reversal comes switch positsion or go for a finish

El Tiburon said:
Does he have skills? If not then use him as a cardio dummy. Basically like rolling with a heavy bag. If he gets the mount, North south, half guard or stacks you, then work on escaspe technique. I am 5-11 and weigh 265, So I have to roll with smaller guys all the time. Usually because my skills are lacking and I get my ass handed to me. I always hear the same thing after we roll, "It was a good workout." To be honest with you. I take that that as a compliment. Simply, because at least something good is coming out of it.

I am just a noob whitebelt but I have learned this the hard way, that skill and technique will always prevail over size and power. Also that these human sausages or these muscle heads all have an obvious weakness CARDIO.

I feel like this everytime I'm in class (5'10", 245), but at the end of the day I feel great. Sure, I'm a noobie but I feel myself getting better. It's a big help to the little guys because they have to focus more on their technique instead of trying to overpower me.

Three things that I've found to work moderately well on bulky guys are (a) spider guard; (b) taking the back; and (c) omoplata. Spider guard works great because you keep his weight AWAY from you, and it's pretty easy to pull, but you still have strong control. Taking the back is obvious, but not always so easy -- I'm working on the "take the back from N/S" move right now. The last is omoplata -- this is a great way to unbalance the typical posture taking by heavy guys, because they like to lean down on your hips and try to pin you. Spin out and crank on that shoulder.

Going up against such heavy guys is great practice because you must use great technique to survive. On the flip side, heavy guys often have a hard time learning technique because they usually prefer to lay & pray from N/S and sidemount.

I'm 130 lbs (barely), so I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. I actually love rolling with big guys (this guy Nelson is 210) because I get to work on my technique and when I pull something off, I feel great about it, and if I get in a bad position... well, then it's just because I'm smaller. :) At least I tell myself that.

A word of advice, if you know X-guard, use it. I use it a lot and am pretty successful at it. Big guys, especially if they're new, want to be on top, smashing you. Well, if they're in your X guard, they are techinically on top smashing you, but with the slightest push of your legs and pull with your arms and they topple over.

Back