Rolling day that made u change your way of thinking... anyone have had one of those?

Wylian said:
what belt are you guys?

6 steady years of Judo.

VampireMonk said:
btw, I've seen some blue belts that have developed a game plan, a very narrow one, provided they are good at it, but cling to dear life for it, and they have no other skill, so when taken out of their game by a higher belt, they are like putty.
can get killed even by a white belt, if they wouldn't fall back to their game plan.

^^^^Read this.

ClubberLange said:
Blue for about a year here.
When I train, I like to have fun. Maybe not the best way to become a BJJ machine. But I don't think I'll ever be a mundial champ, so I figure I'd rather have fun and stick with it, then be all serious and burn out.
I like to play with stuff.Creative BJJ.

^^^^...and this is worth reading again also.

You'll cycle in and out of periods like this in your training (and in life, as someone else mentioned earlier). The only constant is change.
Keep taking risks Wylian.

I had a sparring session that changed my game completly and two weeks later I was a completly different guy on the mat, whooping guys asses that i struggled with before.

I rolled with Josh Russel, the Turtle DVD guy, when i was in Rio. The control, timing and zero strength he used made me rething my rolling completly and i gained alot from those 10 minutes.. I really recomend a private with him if you have the opportunity.

yeah when I rolled with a HUMONGOUS super strong guy,

it made me think, ok half my shit doesn't work on higher weight divisions.

I need to train more efficiently.

Bubble Boy said:
6 steady years of Judo.

^^^^Read this.

^^^^...and this is worth reading again also.

You'll cycle in and out of periods like this in your training (and in life, as someone else mentioned earlier). The only constant is change.
Keep taking risks Wylian.

Something to add to what you are saying. I've been a blue belt for 1.5 years now and you definitely get those days. Honestly, sometimes you just need a break.....You get revalations sometimes when you get back. Start watching some instructionals that deal with strategy. What really helped out was when I watched Saulo Ribiero's gi instructional. He shows some really basic positional stuff that will make your game jump. My instructor gave me two stripes within 3-4 months of each other. (but I spent time watching Saulo's, Macelo's nogi, Sperry's nogi instructionals) It was weird...it was like something cliked.

Tegelsten said:
I had a sparring session that changed my game completly and two weeks later I was a completly different guy on the mat, whooping guys asses that i struggled with before.

I rolled with Josh Russel, the Turtle DVD guy, when i was in Rio. The control, timing and zero strength he used made me rething my rolling completly and i gained alot from those 10 minutes.. I really recomend a private with him if you have the opportunity.

Aah! The no strength issue. Really good bjj players use more deception than lower run of the mill players. They get you thinking about one move....you start defending...then they start sneaking another move in and the next thing you know ...you're tapping.

Think about deception........

Don't force submissions....if you're forcing a move...then you're really not doing BJJ. When you find yourself forcing a move.....look for another opening. Roll with higher ranks and ask for help on this......they'll point it out for you.

each day is diferent in BJJ training. The other day I completelly owned a black belt in practice, and even my master said -what tha f... ? I swept him 3 times and submitted him with, what you americans call the twister. Two days later we rolled and it was a completelly diferent story, with me being painfully submitted about 5 times in a row. The mind plays a big role in training, it is unbelievable how different you train from one day to the next.

perhaps you had a bad day. some day it happens. you can tap a blue belt and the next class be owned by everyone. don

Took one week off and went back. Had a much better day. I asked my teacher a couple of quesiton about my guard. So we did some sparring, went against three blue belts.
The first one I was really agressive, worked for the top position with a double leg, which I think surprised him, took side mount and full mount. Got some armbars attempt and he got guard back. So e played the guard game until the 3 mins ran off.
Second blue belt beat the crap out fo me. I was able to keep my guard for longer, I couldn't close my guard on him, so he envetually got side mount. So all I did was defend armbars, chokes... got my back. So i just went with the flow until time ran out.
Third blue belt, we were both pretty winded. The first seconds he got a triangle, wich I defended, he went for an omoplata, came close but I defended, went for a armbar I escaped, and I took side mount and then his back and time ran out.

I'm pretty happy with my performance today. My guard got a little bit better,m my positioning improved, and my submission defense was good.

Wylian said:
UNfortunately I missed class today. I'm gonna start working more on positioning and passing.

Clubber... how old are you? I'm 20, I think if I were to train constantly (I've trained 8 months in a period of 2 years) I could become good, so I like to train hard, but I do have my fun too. It's like therapy to me. I come back home relieved.

Turned 24 in June.
I started training just before my 21st Birthday. Had quite a bit of time of due to injuries.
I know what you mean about therapy. Although to me BJJ is my drug replacement. A healthy addiction though. I wish I'd discorvered it earlier in life.
Remember me when you're mundial champ. :p

One of the more recent times with my instructor changed my entire approach to submission grappling, I had in in a leg ride and in total control then I got greedy, and went for a leg scissor submission, he scrambled out and took my back and choked me, and it all happened within about ten seconds, from me having the ride to switching for the submission and then getting choked. That day made me realize that even though I love submission I don't always have to go for one just because I am in the position to do so, and , since then I have set up my subs off of movement and no soley postion itself. I move and wrestle around and look for submissions and don't wait to be in the perfect position. that day also made me grpple much more aggressive, which is what I needed.

Back