Rolled Up: Robert Drysdale (All or Nothing Part 1)

That was pretty sweet. Never really seen a setup like that from the underhook. Is part 2 out yet?

Seems like a good guy, and good note to finish on re: keep up or get left behind.

Awesome! Also some nice butterfly love, I definitely agree with Drysdale that one of the great things about focusing on butterfly and half guard is you can use it equally in gi/nogi/mma, whereas if you are training things like spider/DLR, not so much. If you can train all day every day this may not be so much of an issue, but if you are training 2/3x per week, you simply cannot develop lethal black belt proficiency in a multitude of different guards, you need to specialize. So why not specialize in something versatile?

I would train with Drysdale in a second if I was in LV. Love his style. Reminds me of Dean Lister.

Last edited:
He gives some great praise to my instructors coach, Paulo Streckert, in this interview :D Thiago will be happy..

... also i love his attitude about BJJ in general, great episode

Last edited:
I like the use of the reverse headlock from butterfly, I've seen Lister do that as well. I hope he shows some of the overhook stuff he's talking about in the next part. There's way too little material on overhook butterfly available online.

This makes me want to go to Vegas and train with Drysdale

Awesome! Also some nice butterfly love, I definitely agree with Drysdale that one of the great things about focusing on butterfly and half guard is you can use it equally in gi/nogi/mma, whereas if you are training things like spider/DLR, not so much. If you can train all day every day this may not be so much of an issue, but if you are training 2/3x per week, you simply cannot develop lethal black belt proficiency in a multitude of different guards, you need to specialize. So why not specialize in something versatile?

I would train with Drysdale in a second if I was in LV. Love his style. Reminds me of Dean Lister.

I thought of the same thing as in terms of specializing if you don't have the time to train all the time. It does make a lot of sense to have a game that translates well in gi and no-gi. Didn't Marcelo choose his game based on that principle?

I love Rolled Up. I got a chance to go out to Vegas and I took a class at Drysdale's. It was an awesome experience. He is a great teacher but what stood out the most to me was his coaching. While everybody rolled he walked around and coached/motivated guys and it kept the training intense but he did it in a way that the class was fun. His guys train hard but were all friendly and welcoming. I feel that with that kind of coaching/motivating you can't help but get better. I would love to go back.
Vegas is cool too because I also got to train with Vinny Magalhaes as well and I learned some real cool stuff from him too. The only downside I see of Vegas is picking who to train under.

I like how it's called "All or Nothing" and we get half the episode......!

excellent episode, can hardly wait for part 2. Been a big fan of drysdales for a long time now, looking forward to seeing more of him in the future

Also, meant to say earlier, Drysdale makes the best and most logical argument for training in a Gi I've heard out of any BJJ guy.

excellent episode, can hardly wait for part 2. Been a big fan of drysdales for a long time now, looking forward to seeing more of him in the future

Agree on all counts.

One of the first things I really caught onto with Drysdale was how he is so great at showing tiny details to really common moves that are truly unique to him and his style of grappling. He's also someone that really champions how technical no-gi can be and anytime someone says it's not technical I always say listen to and watch some Drysdale.

Last edited:
I hate seeing stuff like this, because it makes me want to try and play things that I'm nowhere near good enough to try yet. :) Great interview, and awesome techniques.

I have not yet watched this Rolled Up episode, but a couple of things:

If you can imagine the unfairness of nearly all of the BJJ/SG schools in Las Vegas having five star (Woohoo! As good as it gets!) rankings except Drysdale's due to a single negative experience documented years ago by a White Belt (no offence to you WBs) that took a class when Drysdale wasn't even in town. If you think that creating an account to be able to rate is too much trouble/effort, I understand (and your rating might be filtered anyway), but if you already have an account please consider taking the time. Thanks. - E

I have not yet watched this Rolled Up episode, but a couple of things:

If you can imagine the unfairness of nearly all of the BJJ/SG schools in Las Vegas having five star (Woohoo! As good as it gets!) rankings except Drysdale's due to a single negative experience documented years ago by a White Belt (no offence to you WBs) that took a class when Drysdale wasn't even in town. If you think that creating an account to be able to rate is too much trouble/effort, I understand (and your rating might be filtered anyway), but if you already have an account please consider taking the time. Thanks. - E

I don't really see how the bad review was unfair, though. Seemed like it wasn't what the person was looking for, and he felt he got hurt unnecessarily in training. The fact that he was a white belt also speaks to the fact that the others at the gym should perhaps not have gone so hard with him in rolling. Sucks for Robert's rating, but the gym is still his gym when he's not in town.

Back