Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson

Budo Jake

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Erik Paulson is the subject of this episode filmed at the CSW Training Center in Fullerton, California. Erik is extremely knowledgeable in Catch Wrestling, Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, silat, kali, jun fan gung fu and a variety of other arts. Learn from the man who coaches Josh Barnett, Sean Sherk, Brock Lesnar and also find out why Erik won't just roll with anyone.

Check it out here:

Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson

Dammit! Video not working on that link for iPhone. What is so crazy at 30mins in?

WOW. He might have a hard time finding anyone to roll with.

Yeah I was surprised when I saw that part.

On the other hand, it's like, say you have a few vices...who doesn't? If you're overall a positive person with a good attitude I think Erik would pick up on that and have no problem rolling with you. Maybe I'm wrong on that, and if you smoked a joint once a month or went to a bar one night a week he would ask you, or pick up on it, and turn you down?

Definitely an interesting cat.

He sounds like a wacko with that negative energy and sage talk. I respect his skills, but jeez, what a loon.

Dammit! Video not working on that link for iPhone. What is so crazy at 30mins in?

He says that he used to roll with everybody and would have these awful nightmares. He saw his shaman, or someone like that, and they told him the negative energy of certain people was rubbing off onto him (literally) because of the close contact involved in rolling. He says he looks into people's eyes and "feels" their auras and will not roll with people he gets a bad vibe from. Bad vibes could come from activities like drug use, drinking, chasing women, etc. He also said he prays and meditates every day, and will cleanse spots all around his house with sage while saying certain prayers. He also "cleanses" his dog in the same fashion.

He goes into other stuff about the most important things above your passion in life are where you go when you die and your family. He said "if the dojo is your church then when you die, I guess you'll just stay in the dojo" or something to that effect.

Very interesting interview.

He says that he used to roll with everybody and would have these awful nightmares. He saw his shaman, or someone like that, and they told him the negative energy of certain people was rubbing off onto him (literally) because of the close contact involved in rolling. He says he looks into people's eyes and "feels" their auras and will not roll with people he gets a bad vibe from. Bad vibes could come from activities like drug use, drinking, chasing women, etc. He also said he prays and meditates every day, and will cleanse spots all around his house with sage while saying certain prayers. He also "cleanses" his dog in the same fashion.

He goes into other stuff about the most important things above your passion in life are where you go when you die and your family. He said "if the dojo is your church then when you die, I guess you'll just stay in the dojo" or something to that effect.

Very interesting interview.

Thanks, that is very interesting, and doesn't seem COMPLETELY nuts to me. I've recently gotten away from some people in my life because of the negative things they do that I don't want to be associated with, and of course I don't want to roll with people I don't like. Them causing bad dreams is kind of odd though...

The techniques/lockflows were extremely nice and solid. Great details and options off of some familiar attacks. I especially liked his pointers on the Judo triangle. I've been struggling with that for years, can't wait to try his tips.

Thanks, Jake! Keep up the good work.

Do you want to elaborate on how it is was to roll with Erik compared to the other guys you've rolled with? Obviously he uses some techniques that wouldn't been aproved in BJJ competition but I'm more interested on hearing your view on his pressure, passing and sweeps.

Wow, that was awesome. Thanks for that. Wish I could copy and save videos

Honestly when he was talking about his spiritual side, I was just thinking how talking to his psychics/shamans & sage'ing is whats giving him the nightmares and bad energy, not the people. He's just opening doors by doing things like that. He also didn't say who he's praying to, could be a statue of some sort...

But anyways, is it just me or does Budo Jake's "mmmh hmmm" 1000x per show get kinda annoying. It kinda seems like he's not interested in what the guy is showing or like a "Yeah whatever I know this already". Maybe it's just me

a statue of some sort...

But anyways, is it just me or does Budo Jake's "mmmh hmmm" 1000x per show get kinda annoying. It kinda seems like he's not interested in what the guy is showing or like a "Yeah whatever I know this already". Maybe it's just me

No, but i find you very annoying, feel free not to post in every thread.

Honestly when he was talking about his spiritual side, I was just thinking how talking to his psychics/shamans & sage'ing is whats giving him the nightmares and bad energy, not the people. He's just opening doors by doing things like that. He also didn't say who he's praying to, could be a statue of some sort...

I like Jake's interviewing style. He comes prepared with a good set of questions, and he seems to give the person he's interviewing just enough time to answer the question to keep it going pleasantly -- not too much, not too little.

I give him big kudos for these episodes.

Wow, so I understand at the end when X person rolls with Jake it's kind of to show off that person's skills and Jake kinda gets demolished. That being said I don't think I've seen someone, at will, do whatever they wanted to Jake like that. Granted I'm a shitty blue and Jake could more than likely take me out but DAYOMN.

Thanks, Jake! Keep up the good work.

Do you want to elaborate on how it is was to roll with Erik compared to the other guys you've rolled with? Obviously he uses some techniques that wouldn't been aproved in BJJ competition but I'm more interested on hearing your view on his pressure, passing and sweeps.

When I say this I don't intend to take ANYTHING away from Erik's skills. He is a super talented grappler. I roll with big dudes often at the academy and generally don't fare too bad. However when you combine big with skill, that is a tough combination. There was about a 100lb weight difference between us and I was not at 100% as I was at the bottom of a 17lb weight cut (for competition) and had a broken toe.

His pressure is insane & Catch moves - unlike BJJ, generally speaking - are often painful. To be honest, I felt like a child playing with his father. My limbs went where he wanted to put them. lol. Like a true pro, Erik knows just how far to take it. Even though I got smashed there were no injuries. Before the match Erik even gave me a chiropractic adjustment which is a story into itself. A healer and a fighter - a true martial artist.

He must be saging like crazy to get Barnett's negative energy off if him.

Back