Rogue sparmaster MMA sparring gloves review

Terrier

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rogue Sparmaster MMA training gloves Review

Been meaning to get this written for ages now, but with one thing and another I

You echo my views on the gloves exactly Terrier. I found the padding really does impede your grappling ability. I like the wrist wrap but think the gloves are a dead loss for proper MMA sparring. Not sure if yours get like the ones I've used but after a couple of months of regular use, the stitching seems to be ripping due to the repeated sideways pressure on the padding when grappling.

I think ultimately, the key to making a decent MMA sparring glove is not down to the amount of padding but rather the materials. If you could get a thinner padding material with the same amount of cushioning effect (mabe some kind of gel or foam mix) then you would have a winner.

BTW... I saw a cracking pair of new gloves in Grappling magazine from Combat Sports. Anyone tried them?

No problems with the stitching on mine, although you may have used yours more than me.

Do you know the name of the gloves you saw?

Oh those ones - one of my training partners (who's been away for a couple of months) uses those ones I beleive - they seem good but I think he may have said something about them giving a little trouble with his grip.

So are the fairtex sparring gloves the best then?

And has anyone tried the ones on grapplergear yet?

It's hard to say what are the best without using all the gloves frankly.

Thanks. Been looking for a review of the Sparmasters for ages... From your experience it looks like I won't buy them - I like to grapple a bit more.

I've tried the Rogue sparmaster and the Fairtex sparring gloves and aside from the leather finger loops on the Fairtex gloves being prone to irrirate your fingers if you put them on wrong (so the loops are around the first bones of your fingers rather than the bone between the second and third knuckles) I think they are much better. I wish they'd change the finger loops and use Neoprene like the No Grip loops on the Hawks gloves since the leather isn't conducive to helping your grip, but that one minor gripe aside they are the best sparring gloves I have used. I do want to try get a hold of some Hawks ones in the future though.

meatbulle said:
Thanks. Been looking for a review of the Sparmasters for ages... From your experience it looks like I won't buy them - I like to grapple a bit more.

No problem

Hey is Pooch still doing reviews?

I will have a new 2-layer gel/foam glove, 8oz, in September. The same Ouano type build of my existing gloves but with a 1" thick hybrid pad. It is not as cushy as a big loaf glove like the Shootos or the Rogue Sparmaster, but intended to be a compromise with added cushioning while having the same feel and mobility.

Anyone want to review come september?

The SFUK.net site is all but abandoned save event updates by Nathan Leverton so I don't know if Pooch still reviews gloves there. Fozzy does good reviews, send 'em along to him. Of course, I'd be willing to do one also if given the chance.

I'll review them, i'm very fair I think if you look at my past reviews here and have a basis for comparison with the sparmasters.

Hey Arclight. I can't seem to access your web site! :(
All I get is a page telling me that I'm blocked for having attempted to use a ****** attack against it!

I use Mozilla Firefox.

Superbeast said:
I've tried the Rogue sparmaster and the Fairtex sparring gloves and aside from the leather finger loops on the Fairtex gloves being prone to irrirate your fingers if you put them on wrong (so the loops are around the first bones of your fingers rather than the bone between the second and third knuckles) I think they are much better. I wish they'd change the finger loops and use Neoprene like the No Grip loops on the Hawks gloves since the leather isn't conducive to helping your grip, but that one minor gripe aside they are the best sparring gloves I have used. I do want to try get a hold of some Hawks ones in the future though.
I might go with the fairtex then, as I'm still on the lookout for good sparring gloves. How hard can you hit with them/how many Oz of protection do they offer? Thanks for your time in advance.

Ok thats cool thanks. I'm also considering the Hawks gloves due to them being more padded (10oz), but I'd have to wait for a review incase the extra padding gets in the way etc... Anyone out there tried these gloves?

thans for the info i was thinking of getting some of them though iv heard the fairtex are brilliant aswell

BritishMMAchamp said:
thans for the info i was thinking of getting some of them though iv heard the fairtex are brilliant aswell

fairtex do make some nice sparring gloves, my friend has some sexy fairtex shooto ones, very hawt.

~Foz

Back