Rogue Planet

JAEGERX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Astronomers of the ESO found a "free floating" planet that exists without being tied in with a Solar system like ours, they still cant say if its really a planet or a "brown dwarf", it moves with a stream of stars called AB Doradus moving group.

Free-floating planets are planetary-mass objects that roam through space without any ties to a star. Possible examples of such objects have been found before [1], but without knowing their ages, it was not possible for astronomers to know whether they were really planets or brown dwarfs — “failed” stars that lack the bulk to trigger the reactions that make stars shine.

The AB Doradus Moving Group is the closest such group to the Solar System. Its stars drift through space together and are thought to have formed at the same time. If the object is associated with this moving group — and hence it is a young object — it is possible to deduce much more about it, including its temperature, mass, and what its atmosphere is made of [4]. There remains a small probability that the association with the moving group is by chance.

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1245/

eso1245a.jpg

I hope these "free floating planets" make it into the new cosmos show

That... or they shot Star Jones into space.

what i find amazing is that they say it's only about 12 million years old. compare that to earth, 4.5 billion. wonder what happened to make it lose it's parent star..

what i find amazing is that they say it's only about 12 million years old. compare that to earth, 4.5 billion. wonder what happened to make it lose it's parent star..
Assuming it ever had one. It may have come from a multiple star system, and had it's gravitational allegiance compromised. which could have caused it to be expelled.

Also it may have been expelled from some sort of collision.

Very cool. I'm hoping oneday, telescopes get powerful enough that we start getting a little bit of detail in the photos, rather than little lights or refraction measurments.

Reminded me about this video, about what would happen if the sun disappeared. Essentially Earth would become an exoplanet.

[YT]rltpH6ck2Kc[/YT]

Back