• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roger Gracie, Carlson Gracie or Gracie Barra

I would check both the gyms out. Roger Gracie has a bazillion times better jiu jitsu and is a better instructor, fighter and person etc. than Wilson Junior, but I doubt as beginner you will be learning from him.

Just in case somebody is looking to this thread for guidance on the same question as OP...

I have been to Roger's three times. Anbd it is true - you won't necessarily find Roger there. I have only ever seen him 1/3 times. But EVERY time I've gone there I have had terrific instruction and fantastic rolling partners. I get around a lot and feel comfortable saying it is a world-class academy.

The Carlson Gracie ethos in my opinion encompasses what BJJ should be (and this is coming from a Gracie Barra student). They train HARD in all aspects of BJJ - competition, self-defence, and jiu-jitsu for MMA, and it shows in the number of champions they produce, such as the ones in CGJJ's posts above.

The only downside would be having to put up with that fucking ridiculous "Carlson Gracie! OSSS" thing they do whenever one of them wins a fight, and the fact that some of the guys there act as though they've just descended from the top of the hill in Rocinha riding atop their giant pitbulls, when in reality they just came from their flat in Kensington on the Underground. But jokes aside I would definitely recommend Carlson's.

Dude the GB gym That I train at is super legit. We learn from black belt Alberto Crane. Dude is beyond legit.

Is it like this?:

Barra for sports jitz.

Carlson for old school and fighting.

Academy for self defence?

I am assuming that CGJJ is Simon Hayes, so as he's actively posting in this thread, if you've got questions about Carlson Gracie London you've now got a perfect opportunity to get them answered.

I don't think this school been mentioned in the thread yet, but personally if I found myself living in London again, I would go and train with Jude Samuel at Legacy BJJ (but again I'm biased, as he gave me my blue belt). Chiswick BJJ would be interesting to check out too, as I think that's run by a bunch of guys who were blue belts when I started at RGA, so it would be cool to see them again. :)

I gladly left GB because of speeches about 'loyalty', restrictions on what gi/rashguard I could wear and a prohibition on training at other gyms. If I had to choose between joining GB and ISIS it would be a tough call.

Hi,

Did the original poster ever try all 3 clubs? It would be good to read a review.

Just came on the forum and saw my post still on first page, awesome.

Yes tried them, but I had to move away straight after due to work commitments. I'm now training out in the states.

I tried both Carlsons and Rogers, I didnt go to lagartos GB unfortunately but from what I understand now I have been training a while, he is a decent teacher.

I preferred Rogers place on my on my first impression as its fairly decent size, not massive but very intimate. Everyone one really nice in both places but for me I felt rogers was more comfortable, and homely, carlsons is what it says, a gym. but it was still great, had I been able to stay in london I would have signed up to rogers. When I am back I will be visiting rogers for sure.

Last edited:
Just looking through the videos posted and found this, not sure I agree with it to be honest. Sure you gotta roll hard, but what he says about in brazil there is no such thing as light roll im sure is a load of bollocks, same as in us that no one rolls light.

Many people I met out here including Brazilians say they like to do light roll when warming up or just get movement, guard submissions etc going

I like his tough guy attitude, but your not on the bus or on the street when your traning so there is no real reason to roll hard all the time

[YT]dpL3m2eAOcI[/YT]

Back