Rockholds game plan was deplorable

Romero's wrestling negates Luke greatest strength (top game). Romero is just the better fighter.

With that being said, Romero can be taken down by lesser wrestlers just because he goes crazy with his striking at times. The problem is, Luke didn't capitalize. But either way Yoel is just the better fighter as you say.

Gets caught by a left after backing up in a straightline with hands down......

Tell me again how he never fights the way he fought vs Bisping.

Bunch of newbs on Sherdog.

why do all these dudes continue to backpeddle straight back when getting rushed? i mean after all these years and countless Arlovski KOs havent they learned by now to circle away? luke was going straight back each time.

why do all these dudes continue to backpeddle straight back when getting rushed? i mean after all these years and countless Arlovski KOs havent they learned by now to circle away? luke was going straight back each time.
Been saying for years that boxing fundamentals are severely lacking in MMA and it's still true today. We've seen some guys come in with a semblance of an understanding and training in solely boxing (and win world titles with it), but people still don't get it.

Boxing is easily the most rare skill in MMA to this day

Luke lost the kickboxing match, think about that....
Shouldn't be a shock. His boxing is terrible for an elite fighter, and he has zero defense. Honestly I think AKA is a pretty bad camp. They train like meatheads and all of their fighters have poor striking.

Past the 4 min mark of round 1 he looked like absolute shit. Worst performance of his career. When in the fuck does Rockhold triple jab? Whatever he's been doing since leaving AKA sure isn't cutting it.
That triple jab was one of his best moments, actually.

People keep thinking it’s good strategy to takedown Yoel Romero

Why though?? No one is able to take him down, he pretty much always gets right back up in his fights. Olympic level wrestler.

So in the end, Romero’s opponents are forced to stand and trade with him and he has wicked power. Even Whittaker barely got by him in their fight. Romero is the real deal

Been saying for years that boxing fundamentals are severely lacking in MMA and it's still true today. We've seen some guys come in with a semblance of an understanding and training in solely boxing (and win world titles with it), but people still don't get it.

Boxing is easily the most rare skill in MMA to this day

100% agree

I think it was quite obvious he was waiting for Romero to punch himself out. I think he was planning on increasing the pressure late in the third and continue into the championship rounds.

Unload, reload style of Romero though. Really poor planning by Luke and his team.

What else was he going to do? He's never taken down a wrestler as good as Romero. And when he does get a takedown its usually offered up to him on a platter. Remember, this is the same guy that failed to take Vitor down. Landing a takedown on Weidman because he went for some stupid spinning shit isn't the greatest accomplishment in the world.

IMO he had a solid gameplan, what he should've been doing during his training camp is improving his piss poor striking defense so he could to survive til Romero gassed. Even before the finish every flurry Romero went for had him panicking. He just can't fight moving backwards.

That triple jab was one of his best moments, actually.
Exactly.

Yoel was reading the single jabs and one-twos pretty easily. As soon as Rockhold started doubling and trippling up on the jab while moving he was having a lot of success. That is why Yoel started to bumrush him, because he felt pressured to do so. Unfortunately Rockhold tried that leanback lead hook counter that he likes to use, which is also the same move that got him KO'd against Bisping. He's simply not fast enough with it nor have the timing for it, when he gets tired. He always gets caught when he's pushed against the fence anyway.

He couldn't really use his southpaw weapons as Yoel was standing in southpaw most of the time too. A shame really.

I don't think their gameplan was terrible. Circle on the outside, use frontkicks, use the jab and reach and move away from the power of Yoel. Keep active. But, that gameplan entails that there will be moments of the fights where you have to be able to defend against Yoels flurries. In hindsight, doing that, but mixing in takedowns and TD threats might have been better, but at the same time Yoel catches guys going for takedowns with flying knees all the time. He's a hard dude to fight.

I think it's a copout saying the gameplan was terrible, as it was working pretty well untill Rockhold got caught, and especially when when he was actually doing what his corner told him to. He simply didn't have the defensive responsibility to pull it off all the way.

Hard to pressure when a gust of wind TKOs you.

Shouldn't be a shock. His boxing is terrible for an elite fighter, and he has zero defense. Honestly I think AKA is a pretty bad camp. They train like meatheads and all of their fighters have poor striking.
he trains in henri hoofts gym nowdays (even more of a meathead gym)

he trains in henri hoofts gym nowdays (even more of a meathead gym)

It's so bizarre how bad so many supposedly "elite" camps are. Dudebro workouts with poor form that constantly get guys injured. Full contact sparring that shortens careers, complete snake oil salesmen running S&C programs. Encouraging guys to cut huge amounts of water. It's surprising even high level guys can't find good coaching.

Exactly.

Yoel was reading the single jabs and one-twos pretty easily. As soon as Rockhold started doubling and trippling up on the jab while moving he was having a lot of success. That is why Yoel started to bumrush him, because he felt pressured to do so. Unfortunately Rockhold tried that leanback lead hook counter that he likes to use, which is also the same move that got him KO'd against Bisping. He's simply not fast enough with it nor have the timing for it, when he gets tired. He always gets caught when he's pushed against the fence anyway.

He couldn't really use his southpaw weapons as Yoel was standing in southpaw most of the time too. A shame really.

I don't think their gameplan was terrible. Circle on the outside, use frontkicks, use the jab and reach and move away from the power of Yoel. Keep active. But, that gameplan entails that there will be moments of the fights where you have to be able to defend against Yoels flurries. In hindsight, doing that, but mixing in takedowns and TD threats might have been better, but at the same time Yoel catches guys going for takedowns with flying knees all the time. He's a hard dude to fight.

I think it's a copout saying the gameplan was terrible, as it was working pretty well untill Rockhold got caught, and especially when when he was actually doing what his corner told him to. He simply didn't have the defensive responsibility to pull it off all the way.
I agree. Predictably, people are basing it off that one sequence where Rockhold got laid out, but he was actually looking decent prior to that. His straight attacks were on point, particularly his lead teeps which Yoel had no answer for. His movement is still predictable, but he was able to ward off Yoel with teeps and jabs.

I think Luke romanticizes the effectiveness of his check hook based on the success he had using it on Jardine and Machida. It obviously isn't as useful as he thinks he is, especially when he doesn't pivot or angle out when he does he it like other notable "check hookers(i.e. Floyd, Roy Jones). He probably expected Yoel to throw an overhand(which he is known for) like he did earlier in the fight, but Yoel readjusted and instead threw it at Luke's chest which resulted in the finish.

I agree. Predictably, people are basing it off that one sequence where Rockhold got laid out, but he was actually looking decent prior to that. His straight attacks were on point, particularly his lead teeps which Yoel had no answer for. His movement is still predictable, but he was able to ward off Yoel with teeps and jabs.

I think Luke romanticizes the effectiveness of his check hook based on the success he had using it on Jardine and Machida. It obviously isn't as useful as he thinks he is, especially when he doesn't pivot or angle out when he does he it like other notable "check hookers(i.e. Floyd, Roy Jones). He probably expected Yoel to throw an overhand(which he is known for) like he did earlier in the fight, but Yoel readjusted and instead threw it at Luke's chest which resulted in the finish.

Some good analysis here

<mma4>

It's so bizarre how bad so many supposedly "elite" camps are. Dudebro workouts with poor form that constantly get guys injured. Full contact sparring that shortens careers, complete snake oil salesmen running S&C programs. Encouraging guys to cut huge amounts of water. It's surprising even high level guys can't find good coaching.
I dont get it either, you would think that some of these big gyms would have a better understanding of how to train smart and what benefits each fighter but i guess not. An other thing i dont get, why is henri hooft and his gym considered so good? All i ever see them do is hard sparring in the gym, it seems like a kickboxing gym with some grappling yet almost all their guys get beat in the standup (rockhold, volkan, michael johnson)

What was Luke supposed to do? There wasn't much of a path to victory for him. This was an easy fight to call.

Keep throwing kicks, not just to the leg but also to the body. Pump the jab like he started doing in the third round all fight. Throw combinations off your jab and kicks. Faint takedowns or attempt a couple to give him more to think about.

yoel NOT going for takedown at all was brilliant tactics. every second he kept it on the feet lukes anxiety would increase as well

Back