Media Robert Whittaker predicts Chimaev vs Usman (UFC 294)

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

"Chimaev definitely has the reach, the strength and the power. But he's also got that like "cardio dogfight wrestling" where he's just gonna mix in his strikes, gonna take you down.
He's gonna ride you until you're a bit slower and then let you back up and throw some more punches. And he's got range, reach and spacing the whole time whilst doing it.

Yeah, I just don't think... I see it being very hard for Usman to win this fight. That's not saying that he can't, because if he does feel free up with nothing to lose, goes in there with a puncher's chance,
maybe he clips Chimaev. Because we saw Chimaev get hurt in the Gilbert Burns fight. But in my opinion, I just think the reach is going to be too much, as Chimaev does use his kicks which
gave Usman trouble against Leon.

I don't see Usman's offensive wrestling troubling Chimaev, but I can see Chimaev using his wrestling against Usman. Especially considering it's late notice, and he's had 12 days to prepare.
Unless you've been training constantly with those scrambles, those war scrambles and those war grinding grappling sessions, you can't build the cardio base you need to be effective in that moment."

"Chimaev definitely has the reach, the strength and the power. But he's also got that like "cardio dogfight wrestling" where he's just gonna mix in his strikes, gonna take you down.
He's gonna ride you until you're a bit slower and then let you back up and throw some more punches. And he's got range, reach and spacing the whole time whilst doing it.

Yeah, I just don't think... I see it being very hard for Usman to win this fight. That's not saying that he can't, because if he does feel free up with nothing to lose, goes in there with a puncher's chance,
maybe he clips Chimaev. Because we saw Chimaev get hurt in the Gilbert Burns fight. But in my opinion, I just think the reach is going to be too much, as Chimaev does use his kicks which
gave Usman trouble against Leon.

I don't see Usman's offensive wrestling troubling Chimaev, but I can see Chimaev using his wrestling against Usman. Especially considering it's late notice, and he's had 12 days to prepare.
Unless you've been training constantly with those scrambles, those war scrambles and those war grinding grappling sessions, you can't build the cardio base you need to be effective in that moment."

You gotta love the fact that Rob can stay objective even though he's talking about his own division.
Even made a joke about Dricus "somehow" beating him lol.

Rob has a good outlook on this fight, but the unknown still exists.
The actual fight still has to happen, and the first exchange will tell us a lot about what will happen.

"....as Chimaev does use his kicks which gave Usman trouble against Leon."

Does Khamzat really kick that much? I mean leg kick, sure. But he doesn't have the head kick threat that Leon does, so I tend to believe it will be hard for Khamzat to KO/TKO Usman, who has been facing great strikers for years.

I really don't agree with that assessment. Sorry but comparing Khamzat's kicks to Leon's is a bit ridiculous. Also just assuming Usman is going to get grapplefucked like he's some bum grappler is another big assumption. And assuming Khamzat's cardio is better than Usman is another reach. I personally believe Usman is on the downward trend. He looked like he regressed in the 3rd Leon fight. Nonetheless I favor Khamzat, he's got way less mileage. The grappling will be interesting.

Usman up a weight class is going to be slowwwwww

You gotta love the fact that Rob can stay objective even though he's talking about his own division.
Even made a joke about Dricus "somehow" beating him lol.

Rob has a good outlook on this fight, but the unknown still exists.
The actual fight still has to happen, and the first exchange will tell us a lot about what will happen.
Khamzat fakes the glove touch and goes for the TD.....

Back