Robert De Niro v Jack Nicholson: Overall, who had the better career?

Better career?

• Robert De Niro

• Jack Nicholson

Results are only viewable after voting.
IMO it was a pretty decent flick. The choreography alone warrants a second viewing.

...there was dancing?

Wow, I must have been high as fuck when I first watched it to not remember that.

Jack Nicholson never sold out out and made a bunch of shit movies purely for money later in his career.

But in their primes both were amazing and I could watch either of them do anything

The Shining is super overrated.

Stanley Kubrik's adaptation of Stephen King's, "The Shining" is overrated? In what way? And by whom? The Shining is an absolute masterpiece.

Everything about the movie is iconic. Every scene from beginning to end is perfect and pushes the plot deeper into Jack Torrance's gradual decent into madness.

The cinematography is beautiful, the images stick in your mind forever.
The dialogue is unforgettable.
There are countless themes to be explored, one of which is "The past will come back to haunt you."

At face value and at the deepest level, there isn't a horror movie that holds a candle to the excellence of "The Shining."

De Niro is the same character in all his movies. He has extremely limited range. Nicholson has played a decent range of characters and is not limited, like De Niro. Plus, Jack is just a better actor. De Niro is a hack who makes movies now to fund his black girlfriends' fried chicken habits and his vampiric corporate enterprises. Also, De Niro is a despicable human being.
I know guys like DeNiro and Roger Waters have gone full blown TDS, but I don't hate on the legends. That's just lame. I leave that to the trigglypuffs.

...there was dancing?

Wow, I must have been high as fuck when I first watched it to not remember that.
Fixed.
ImmediateComplicatedChanticleer-size_restricted.gif

I think I actually prefer Nicholson but DeNiro has had the greater career if I actually took a step back.

Stanley Kubrik's adaptation of Stephen King's, "The Shining" is overrated? In what way? And by whom? The Shining is an absolute masterpiece.

Everything about the movie is iconic. Every scene from beginning to end is perfect and pushes the plot deeper into Jack Torrance's gradual decent into madness.

The cinematography is beautiful, the images stick in your mind forever.
The dialogue is unforgettable.
There are countless themes to be explored, one of which is "The past will come back to haunt you."

At face value and at the deepest level, there isn't a horror movie that holds a candle to the excellence of "The Shining."

King fanboys hate it though, partly for the changes and partly I'd say for the suspicions Kubrick's film was partly making fun of King.

I think theres a good argument that Kubrick's film owes more to the French film Last Year At Marienbad than it does to Kings book.

dont-make-me-choose-thumb.jpg

Honestly I think my answer would change every other day if asked

I am tempted to try and break it out by genre and by tiers.

As @Anung Un Rama says, the GOAT Tier all time classic movies at the top. The otherwise 'Great' but not quite GOAT level consideration. The 'Good', or 'eh it was ok' tier. And the 'why did they make that' tier.

I think both are some of the best actors cinema has ever seen but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with Jack Nicholson and it was tough.

Jack in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is better than all of De Niro's work combined.

Both have made a lot of great movies, but de Niro kinda damaged his legacy IMO with the pile of garbage movies he made also.

I went with de Niro soley because of an unlikely movie.

cape-fear-watching-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v2.jpg

Back