Robbie Lawler says Anderson Silva is the GOAT

Nog was the #1 P4P fighter in the entire sport from 2001 until 2003.

His only loss was an absolute bullshit decision to Dan Henderson. Everyone who watches this fight scores it for Nog. Nog still avenged this loss in PRIDE, finishing Hendo by sub.

Nog had also won a massive 32 man open weight tournament in RINGS in 2001.

He defeated the #1 HW in the world, Mark Coleman. He also defeated other ranked fighters like Herring, Valentijn 2x, Horn, Schilt, Goodridge, Sapp, Enson, Hendo etc.

Go watch Nog vs Herring 1 at PRIDE 17 in 2001. It is one of the greatest Heavyweight fights you will ever see.

Even after losing to Fedor, Nog would go on to beat Cro Cop, Barnett, Sergei, Werdum, Ricco, Couture, Sylvia, Herring 2x more and many others.

Nog has the best resume of any Heavyweight in MMA history and possibly even the best resume of any fighter overall in MMA history.
Thanks for taking the time to actually give me some info. I think my problem was not taking into account the context of the fights at the time. During my research it didn’t initially strike me as that impressive, but I guess you really can only beat who is put in front of you. And it appears Nog did that quite well. I should go watch the Henderson fights. Dan was much smaller though, wasn’t he?

tenor.gif

hahaha. hey, sherdog brings people together. so, so touching lol.

Nog was the #1 P4P fighter in the entire sport from 2001 until 2003.

His only loss was an absolute bullshit decision to Dan Henderson. Everyone who watches this fight scores it for Nog. Nog still avenged this loss in PRIDE, finishing Hendo by sub.

Nog had also won a massive 32 man open weight tournament in RINGS in 2001.

He defeated the #1 HW in the world, Mark Coleman. He also defeated other ranked fighters like Herring, Valentijn 2x, Horn, Schilt, Goodridge, Sapp, Enson, Hendo etc.

Go watch Nog vs Herring 1 at PRIDE 17 in 2001. It is one of the greatest Heavyweight fights you will ever see.

Even after losing to Fedor, Nog would go on to beat Cro Cop, Barnett, Sergei, Werdum, Ricco, Couture, Sylvia, Herring 2x more and many others.

Nog has the best resume of any Heavyweight in MMA history and possibly even the best resume of any fighter overall in MMA history.

agree 100%

Pride, Affliction, and Strikeforce HW divisions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UFC HW division during his tenure in each org.
In 2009, Fedor could have fought in the UFC. He didn't. Instead, he got himself choked out by Werdum and KO's by Dan Henderson. If Fedor is the GOAT, then being a GOAT in MMA truly holds very little value.

In 2009, Fedor could have fought in the UFC. He didn't. Instead, he got himself choked out by Werdum and KO's by Dan Henderson. If Fedor is the GOAT, then being a GOAT in MMA truly holds very little value.
You act like those guys are bums. Werdum went on to be a UFC champion and Hendo is a ATG. The UFC wasn't the premier org for HWs until the Strikeforce merger in like 2012. So it meant absolutely nothing to be on the UFC roster as a HW before then.

Fedor has done things that no other HW has done and to dismiss his accomplishments because it wasn't done in the UFC is just ignorant.

So your idea of goat is who wins in their prime! Well then the goat is going to be whoever the current champion is as the sport has evolved! Most people when trying to compare fighters from different era's go by how dominant they were against their era. Matt hughes was the most dominant of his era but obviously his skills wouldn't work very well today. With your way of thinking only today's athlete can be the goat! This is the reason why goat is actually a stupid argument as too many people have different views on what is the goat! So today's heavyweight boxing champ it better than Ali, best basketball player is better than Jordan, etc. I don't think I like your idea of goat but then again it's all just opinion so I may be wrong!

For now since the sport is barely twenty years old. Yes. It won't always be that way but when a sport is brand new and constantly improving being the best right now often means you're the best ever. It's not always that way and is time passes it will get rarer and rarer for the current champ to be the GOAT but right now yeah that's often the case.

GOAT is greatest of "ALL TIME". If a sport is younger, "all time" is a shorter period and thus the title means less. In 1910-1920 the new boxing HW champ was usually the GOAT, not every time but most times or close to it. HW boxing is different cause boxing got better athletes in the mid 20th century than today so it's exactly the opposite.

You act like those guys are bums. Werdum went on to be a UFC champion and Hendo is a ATG. The UFC wasn't the premier org for HWs until the Strikeforce merger in like 2012. So it meant absolutely nothing to be on the UFC roster as a HW before then.

Fedor has done things that no other HW has done and to dismiss his accomplishments because it wasn't done in the UFC is just ignorant.
Did Fedor fight in the UFC? Did Fedor have the opportunity to fight in the UFC? Yes. Is Fedor still fighting fighting? Yes. So, no excuses for the guy. He can't be the GOAT simply because he did not compete in the best organization of the sport. This is how it works in EVERY single sport. LOL

Fedor fought the majority of his career inside a ring with very different rules from what modern MMA is. Yes, there is a variation between a circle cage and an Octagon, and also, the new unified rules and the old unified rules.

However, these minor changes are negligible when we are comparing how different a ring is to a cage and how different the pride rules were different to current unified rules.

I think it is reasonable to say that Fedor dominated a different sport. Look at his record inside a cage. It is WMMA can status. LOL

Please, don't give me that "out of his prime" excuse. Anderson Silva started at 33 and he became a GOAT contender. So, I am not buying that silly "out of his prime" excuse every time a fan favorite starts to fight better opponents and starts getting destroyed. LOL

Probably the most "entertaining" of the GOAT candidates in terms of fan recognition but he didn't fight a lot of very good guys during his time on top

For now since the sport is barely twenty years old. Yes. It won't always be that way but when a sport is brand new and constantly improving being the best right now often means you're the best ever. It's not always that way and is time passes it will get rarer and rarer for the current champ to be the GOAT but right now yeah that's often the case.

GOAT is greatest of "ALL TIME". If a sport is younger, "all time" is a shorter period and thus the title means less. In 1910-1920 the new boxing HW champ was usually the GOAT, not every time but most times or close to it. HW boxing is different cause boxing got better athletes in the mid 20th century than today so it's exactly the opposite.

You are technically right with your opinion, but, most people when they say goat they try to compare people from different era's and who was the most dominant for their time. Pound for Pound is used for current fighters. With technology, science, nutrition, etc. today's player in every sport is better than stars of the past. Matt Hughes in his prime was so dominant but wouldn't be top 10 today! Babe Ruth wouldn't even make a roster today! The only real way to compare era's is by comparing their dominance against their competition! With your opinion you can only have Jon Jones as goat. He actually is the goat but Silva and Fedor should be considered. I like my definition of goat better but I respect yours.

Did Fedor fight in the UFC? Did Fedor have the opportunity to fight in the UFC? Yes. Is Fedor still fighting fighting? Yes. So, no excuses for the guy. He can't be the GOAT simply because he did not compete in the best organization of the sport. This is how it works in EVERY single sport. LOL

Fedor fought the majority of his career inside a ring with very different rules from what modern MMA is. Yes, there is a variation between a circle cage and an Octagon, and also, the new unified rules and the old unified rules.

However, these minor changes are negligible when we are comparing how different a ring is to a cage and how different the pride rules were different to current unified rules.

I think it is reasonable to say that Fedor dominated a different sport. Look at his record inside a cage. It is WMMA can status. LOL

Please, don't give me that "out of his prime" excuse. Anderson Silva started at 33 and he became a GOAT contender. So, I am not buying that silly "out of his prime" excuse every time a fan favorite starts to fight better opponents and starts getting destroyed. LOL
You can make up all the bullshit criteria you want, doesn't change what he's done in the sport of MMA. All fighters are different, you can't use age to determine things. By your logic Aldo should be coming into his prime by the end of the year since Anderson was 33 when he did.

There's a reason why fighters say Fedor is the GOAT, there's a reason why Fedor was mentioned by commentators on numerous UFC events, there's a reason why Fedor was considered the #1 HW and P4P #1 for years.

And I got news for you, the UFC wasn't the "big leagues" for HWs until 2012, but you keep drinking that koolaid.

Back