Robbie Lawler is a Ben Henderson type champ...

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Before you all jump up and start pointing out their different fighting styles, that's not what I'm talking about.

In my opinion Lawler is 2-3 in his last 5 fights, and in the one he clearly won he was on the verge of losing. The decision he got over Hendricks was really close, but the one over Condit I thought was pretty bad. But I'm not trying to start a debate about who should have won which fight in this thread.

I should also say I like him and his fighting style, and root for him in most of his fights. But Lawler is a Ben Henderson type champ, where he finds a way to win, but he never leaves you feeling he was without a doubt better than his opponent.

Of course all that says is he's damn good, as good as the best guys out there.... all respect to guys like him and Bendo... but he's not a dominant champ, and I dont really consider him a favorite against any of the top 5 WW's, always a 50/50 fight.

Thompson has as good a chance as anyone.

Last edited:
So just because he's had close fights and split decisions he's the same as Bendo??

I actually love watching both but they couldn't be more different as fighters.

So just no.

1 - 3 in his last 4? He clearly beat Rory and Matt Brown. Surely you mean he's 2 - 2, losing to Hendricks in their rematch and Condit, but beating Brown and Rory

Lawler isn't a champion the way, say gsp, silva, or Jones were champions. He's a top 5 guy who keeps squeaking out wins against other top guys. Just like Benson karma will kick in and the luck will run out. I'd also say though love or hate either guy they always have very entertaining fights if for nothing outside of being in an unpredictable outcome

Weird comparison as there have been a ton of guys who weren't dominant as champs, but I agree with you. Robbie isn't far ahead of his division. One stark difference between the two in your comparison is Robbie steals rounds by trying to finish at the end of each round with damage, while Bendo stole rounds with takedowns for points.

Other than MM he is the longest reigning champ

Nobody complains except fans of those who he beat.

Bendo's defense vs Diaz was not a close decision, but I get your point, TS.

He is, and imo he seems like the most beatable champ. Like, I believe Hendricks and Rory were both favorites over him and if Wonderboy is next I think he'll be the favorite too. He's still one of the most exciting and likeable champs and his is the greatest MMA career resurgence of all time, which naturally makes you root for him. That's a crucial difference, yes he's absolutely squeaking out decisions but I don't think anyone will relish his next defeat. On the other hand, I was very happy for Pettis to put an emphatic stamp on the LW belt.

I agree, but for some reason that doesn't bother me, because by the end of the fight, he tries to take your lunch money, face, and soul.

Robbie is amazing. People don't like strikeforce fighters taking their precious ufc belts. Tough shit!

WW is a deep division. all the guys at the top are very good.

1 - 3 in his last 4? He clearly beat Rory and Matt Brown. Surely you mean he's 2 - 2, losing to Hendricks in their rematch and Condit, but beating Brown and Rory
My bad, forgot about the Brown fight.

I was rooting for him heavily in both the fights vs Hendricks, but I was really surprised when they gave him the decision in the second one. Then the Condit decision surprised me even more.

If you mean they both were champions that barely squeaked by their competition, then yes.

Back