ROAR (1981) is the most stressful movie I have ever seen

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was watching RedLetterMedia and they reviewed a movie called ROAR. I decided to track it down and watch it. I have never been as stressed out watching a movie as I was watching this one. The crazy batards used real lions, tigers, and elephants.

The film follows a man living with lions and big cats in Africa; when his family attempts to visit him, they are accidentally left alone with multiple animals that they fear. It stars Tippi Hedron and Melanie Griffith. Hedren's husband at the time, wrote and directed this horror movie.

Over 70 of the cast and crew are believed to have been injured during the production of Roar. Because of this, many of the attacks from the animals resulted in real blood from the actors showing up in the final cut of the film. It has been described as "the most dangerous film ever made.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

My thoughts from when I made a thread about this work of lunacy...

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/roar-1981.3300923/

Has anybody seen this movie with Melanie Griffith and Tippi Hedren (The Birds)?

Apparently Hedren and her husband at the time Noel Marshall were super into lions, to the point where they had a lion living with them and their children. Here's a picture of Melanie Griffith in their back yard at the time.

roar.jpg

So this crazy mother fucker Noel Marshall goes to Africa on a plot of land with like 50 wild, untrained great cats of all kinds - lions, tigers, jaguars, oh my - and then brings his fucking family there to live day in and day out with these wild UNTRAINED lions and tigers and shit, and just film some loose barely scripted story about reconciling the marriage, all while they're all being chased and mauled by these fucking lions.

The director of photography was Jan de Bont (Speed / Twister) and he got scalped by a lion. Melanie Griffith got mauled and almost lost her eye. There were 70 injuries to the cast and crew from attacks and maulings by lions and tigers but they kept filming this fucking thing for about five years.

This Noel Marshall guy was fucking insane. It was like watching Timothy Treadwell. The whole movie he is either bleeding from some minor wound or bandaged. Two lions are fighting and he jumps in and pulls one away, trying to pass himself off as a father figure to the cats in his movie.

It's the most insane thing ever filmed. This retard almost got his whole family eaten by lions and Tippi Hedren went along with it.

There is no story to this stupid movie but it's still hard to look away because any minute Melanie Griffith might get eaten by giant cats.

I was watching RedLetterMedia and they reviewed a movie called ROAR. I decided to track it down and watch it. I have never been as stressed out watching a movie as I was watching this one. The crazy batards used real lions, tigers, and elephants.

The film follows a man living with lions and big cats in Africa; when his family attempts to visit him, they are accidentally left alone with multiple animals that they fear. It stars Tippi Hedron and Melanie Griffith. Hedren's husband at the time, wrote and directed this horror movie.

Over 70 of the cast and crew are believed to have been injured during the production of Roar. Because of this, many of the attacks from the animals resulted in real blood from the actors showing up in the final cut of the film. It has been described as "the most dangerous film ever made.

Yeah, this is a classic example that gets brought up when they teach ethics in film production.

The filmmakers lost perspective.

Didn't know RedLetterMedia went over it, had to check that out immediately. I've watched a good chunk of the movie before. Just an unbelievable trainwreck. It's somehow worse than what you would imagine. It stands up there with the Room in terms of accidental genius filmmaking. I mean it's a nightmare and in no way succeeds in whatever the hell they were trying to achieve, but you're watching something that will never happen again. A unique moment of human insanity.

No but there is a nat geo show where this dude tries to tame wild feral lions for use at a safari in their home range. Not in a compound or anything.

He goes and sits like 6 feet from the Male Lion.

His medic found him finally and was like, "Are You fucking crazy?"

He was like the grizzly man but with lions

I knew Noel Marshall for a few months before he died.... even then that cook was batshit crazy.
But ohhh the stories lol

Didn't know RedLetterMedia went over it, had to check that out immediately. I've watched a good chunk of the movie before. Just an unbelievable trainwreck. It's somehow worse than what you would imagine. It stands up there with the Room in terms of accidental genius filmmaking. I mean it's a nightmare and in no way succeeds in whatever the hell they were trying to achieve, but you're watching something that will never happen again. A unique moment of human insanity.

I knew Noel Marshall for a few months before he died.... even then that cook was batshit crazy.
But ohhh the stories lol
Somehow he married Tippi Hedren.

So there's luck for the crazy people out there.

I will not watch this.

I have it on DVD but never got around to watching it.

Is it shitty?

Sounds like some kind of big cat cult that just happened to shoot some home movies

My thoughts from when I made a thread about this work of lunacy...

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/roar-1981.3300923/

Has anybody seen this movie with Melanie Griffith and Tippi Hedren (The Birds)?

Apparently Hedren and her husband at the time Noel Marshall were super into lions, to the point where they had a lion living with them and their children. Here's a picture of Melanie Griffith in their back yard at the time.

roar.jpg

So this crazy mother fucker Noel Marshall goes to Africa on a plot of land with like 50 wild, untrained great cats of all kinds - lions, tigers, jaguars, oh my - and then brings his fucking family there to live day in and day out with these wild UNTRAINED lions and tigers and shit, and just film some loose barely scripted story about reconciling the marriage, all while they're all being chased and mauled by these fucking lions.

The director of photography was Jan de Bont (Speed / Twister) and he got scalped by a lion. Melanie Griffith got mauled and almost lost her eye. There were 70 injuries to the cast and crew from attacks and maulings by lions and tigers but they kept filming this fucking thing for about five years.

This Noel Marshall guy was fucking insane. It was like watching Timothy Treadwell. The whole movie he is either bleeding from some minor wound or bandaged. Two lions are fighting and he jumps in and pulls one away, trying to pass himself off as a father figure to the cats in his movie.

It's the most insane thing ever filmed. This retard almost got his whole family eaten by lions and Tippi Hedren went along with it.

There is no story to this stupid movie but it's still hard to look away because any minute Melanie Griffith might get eaten by giant cats.

absolute lunacy.

has anyone seen that clip where some dude is.with his family on safari and is outside the car taking pictures ?

he gets grabbed by the big cats.

boggles the mind.

has anyone seen that clip where some dude is.with his family on safari and is outside the car taking pictures ?

he gets grabbed by the big cats.

boggles the mind.
Is that with piano music in the background?

There is method acting, and then there is method film making.

It's insane at why anyone would sign up for that shit, and not immediately drop out after the first day of shooting. What the fuck were they thinking, and how on earth did they convince everyone to stay? It's nothing short of a miracle that nobody got mauled to death.

Back