Roach right about Pacquiao knockout?

anomynous

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I read recently that Freddie said that Pacquiao got careless and walked into that punch. I didn't see the fight (I don't do PPV stuff: I come from the era where boxing was shown on commercial OTA broadcast TV), so I wanted to ask about this here from those who actually watched it.

What Roach says makes sense to me for the following reasons. Manny fights with passion: he's not a great boxing strategist, but is very gifted althetically. JMM, on the other hand, is a genius when it comes to strategy and thinking on the feet during matches. So the formula Roach talks about fits the patterns I know about both fighters.

Also, I've read some accounts about the fight that indicate Manny was really getting the upper hand at the point in the fight and was starting to do serious damage to JMM. A smart boxer would be cautious in those circumstances, but with the way Manny fights, I could see him getting careless there.

So, whad'ya think? Did Manny get careless? Or do you think maybe he got bad direction from Roach or something? Whatever the case, JMM had the right plan: he's caught Manny pretty good in all their encounters, but was lacking the power to make his shots matter enough. Looks like he solved the power issue and made it count big-time this time.

I'm not about to let this turn into 10 replies of "Yes"

Combo breaker, bitches.

He got counter right to the face. No excuse, he lost to the better fighter that night, regardless if he was winning or not beforehand.

He was showing Marquez ZERO respect at the time of the knockout--he deserved what he got.

OMG... Roach should really STFU. Boxing rules are clear. I coldn't care less if Manny was carelles or not. He is proffessional, or...?

Marquez can beat beat Manny and probably did in the third fight but Manny obviously heard the 10 second bell and tried to chase a flurry and got KOed.

apparently you don't come from the era either where things can be found on the internet in seconds.

He got counter right to the face. No excuse, he lost to the better fighter that night, regardless if he was winning or not beforehand.
You write as though I were raising some kind of question about the outcome of the fight--which indicates poor reading comprehension, lack of reasoning abilities, or perhaps both, I guess. Just for the record, in the universe which I inhabit, when one boxer is out cold on the floor and the other one is still standing, there's no question as to who won the fight.

Excuses? This may be another wake-up call, but welcome to the world of boxing analysis. That's where we, after the conclusion of a fight, try to determine why one boxer won and the other lost. I'm pretty sure I understand why that happened in this case: the smarter boxer built up some additional strength and found his opportunity to use it to end the fight with his more athletically-gifted, but less strategically-minded, opponent.

But there could be other possibilities. Some might point the finger at Roach and say he gave bad advice, for example. I started this thread, in part, to see what other theories--if any--other boxing-analytical types might have.

apparently you don't come from the era either where things can be found on the internet in seconds.
You mean, like seeking out discussion boards where one can interact with people knowledgeable about boxing regarding things one is curious about? Or maybe you mean finding smart-ass remarks? If the latter is the case, I'm afraid the problematic delay's on your account, not mine.

It really was a careless move from Pac, more like jumped in to that punch, and Marquez capitalized

OMG... Roach should really STFU. Boxing rules are clear. I coldn't care less if Manny was carelles or not. He is proffessional, or...?

9f9fa9_3086599.jpg

Respect your elders, he probably fought in the Korean war or some shit.

Roach said he got careless...brilliant analysis from Freddie! Haha. It was clear that Marquez was training to knock Pac out. He was loading up on his right the whole night and it got through plenty of times. Marquez knew that EVENTUALLY Pac would get "careless"...because, for all of Pac's improvements as a boxer...he still flies in (often off balance) when throwing combos. Marquez capitalized on it. End of story.

Back