RNC question

Foxx_MMA

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I did a search and couldnt really find a definitive answer so here goes
With the 2nd hand the one not around the throat do you grab the choking hand or do you
wrap around the back of the head and push forward. I usually wrap the back of the head and i know thats what rickson and other bjj guys do but when i see fedor RNC he usally grabs his choking hand (and who am i to disagree with his methods). I was wondering are there advantages or disadvantages to each or is it simply personal preference?

Fedor is doing hadaka-jime, where the bone on his wrist is exerting force on the carotoid hard enough to make somebody submit, this is old-school Judo, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The other choke you're talking about is also a hadaka-jime, only this time the bicep and the forearm on the arm around the throat is exerting force on both carotoid arteries at the same time, this is also very handy.
Neither is really better in my opinion, it's that sometimes an opponent will be unable to fight off the 1st choke because the second arm is helping the first to muscle around the neck in a sawing motion, the 2nd RNC is usually slipped on very quicklybut a good fighter will try to up your other arm so that you cannot finish the choke.

Foxx_MMA said:
I did a search and couldnt really find a definitive answer so here goes
With the 2nd hand the one not around the throat do you grab the choking hand or do you
wrap around the back of the head and push forward. I usually wrap the back of the head and i know thats what rickson and other bjj guys do but when i see fedor RNC he usally grabs his choking hand (and who am i to disagree with his methods). I was wondering are there advantages or disadvantages to each or is it simply personal preference?

Hmm yeah fedor finished fujita with that first one, but if u recall, on herring he did it the 2nd way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back