RNC help

triggertap79

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need a little help with the rear naked choke. Lately when rolling I have been getting people's backs alot. I can't seem to do anything after that. Are there any good ways to open them up for the choke when they have their chin tucked tight? Thanks for any advice.

get the body triangle and crank it as hard as you can so your opponent exposes himself and either armbar him or rnc him. or pull harder than holy hell and crank their face.

If it's nogi, get your dominant arm free and drive it across their face hard so their head is completely turned. Grab that hand with the other and pull back...neck crank finish...if they lift their chin RNC or if you feel like being a little nicer pull up instead of back then quickly slide the arm down to the open neck.

If it's gi, neckcranks aren't allowed, and you can't get a collar grip deep...you'll probably want to trap an arm. Bother him until he grabs an arm then feed that arm back and hook your leg over it. Hold his other arm with one hand and work the other hand under his chin and get a deep grip. Work chokes.

Had the same problem, this stuff works...now I just don't seem to get the back as much.

I think it's probably kind of rude but effective if you put one of your wrists right under his nose and reach around and pull up on it with the other hand to get his chin to come up and expose the neck a little to sink the choke

Thanks for the advice guys. This is just in training at my bjj club so I can't really be cranking necks and faces. In competition it will be a different story. I forgot about the body triangle, I'll have to try that as I have long legs. Woober, that sounds like a good technique too, I guess I don't think about trapping his arms because I'm too busy trying to work the choke.

clarkgriswold said:
I think it's probably kind of rude but effective if you put one of your wrists right under his nose and reach around and pull up on it with the other hand to get his chin to come up and expose the neck a little to sink the choke

i would save that one for tournys, in class it would make some one really mad

when rolling with my one friend if i get his back he tucks his chin well i like to use to go for the choke and use him defending that to set up the armbar. you might want to look at other subs to go for from the back.

i will try to help you as asked! but first i have to eat

You can also grad the forehead with the palm of your hand and force the head (in a gentle manner that is) to get room to sink in the choke

Put the back of your elbow into their temple and just push his head sideways to open up space under the chin.

Back