RNC - getting the arm underneath the chin

billzar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Been having trouble getting my arm underneath people's chins with the RNC -- either they tuck their chin in or they are using there hands to hold my arm. Any good tips for this?

Also, if I secure the RNC (my elbow directly under their chin), if they tuck their chin in, can I still choke them out without hurting their jaws? Always hesitant to tighten it as I don't want to hurt my training partners.

When you lock around their jaw and squeeze, it will hurt them really bad. Anderson Silva did this to someone a while back, he then preceded to sink in the arm under the chin.

^kind of a dick way to secure one in practice, but yeah that's one way.

Always try and flex their upper back into you (push in on their thoracic spine and retain their posture) and more openings will come. If they're 'slouching' and tucked you're going to have a hard time sinking one in.

You can just try and secure it regardless and let the person choose between jaw breaking or getting chhokd.

Try to pull one of their arms down and lock it using your leg. You risk getting swept into their guard but that's a chance you take when you go for the subs.

i've been getting it under the chin much more often since i've started using the gable grip first.

i have over-under, slap the choke on with the over arm, but instead of grabbing the biceps of the non-choking arm i take the gable grip first. pull backwards and downwards with the non-choking hand and then lock up the biceps in a full rnc position.

i'm not even sure why it works, probably because of the pulling with the gable grip. you get a bit more space, and your forearm stays low on their neck.

and like some people have already suggested, you can always just crank them if they put their jaw in there. i personally think it's a shit move, because there are many cleaner ways to finish someone. but if you're in competition with 10 secs left on the clock and losing, go ahead and crank it. if you aren't, try again and get it done properly.

and because i'm such a nice guy, here's stephan kesting explaining even more details (a lot better than me):

another nasty trick when you go to sink it in is to put the middle knuckle of your thumb on your choking arm behind where their jaw connects,
dig in and across like your slitting their throat with your thumb you basically splitting space between the chin and neck.

this fucking hurts so be nice to your partners.

A way I've found of going for a choke instead of fighting for the RNC is to actually move into back side control and then pretend like your working for an armbar and then sink in and execute a darce choke instead.

If they are tucking their chin in well, it's almost impossible to get the proper RNC position, in which case you can just slide the ridge of your hand under their chin (which is pretty easy), gable grip, and pull.

Not sure if this is considered a "dick" move, and I never apply this to finish in rolling, but in a self-defense situation it would be a go-to move. It's the same principle as a guillotine though, so I don't see how people could have an issue with it.

i've been getting it under the chin much more often since i've started using the gable grip first.

lmao , when i read this i thought you were going to sell those grip enhancers .

In comps if I can't get the arm under I will often perch it on the persons chin and cross face with the opposite arm to create the space I need.

I would never do this to a training partner, but different situations call for different techniques.

I use the forearm of one arm to lift the chin up, then slide in the other. But you can't just pry it up, you have to turn your forearm and that's what creates the space.

Back