RIZIN OWGP Brackets and Fights

Its just more me wanting to see the top talent in the tournament distributed.

Also Carwin really isn't that old for a HW.
Yeah.. but he retired because of injuries.

I dont know man.. since the Kharitonov debacle I just want them to book the fights I want to see more than ever.

Its just more me wanting to see the top talent in the tournament distributed.

Also Carwin really isn't that old for a HW.

You see guys competing at HW succesfully into their early 40s alot but 42 is def still old for the division. Late 30s does better and nobody at the tip top tends to be as old as carwin. Randy did but whatever. Still tho if ur going to be good at 42 hw is the right division. We'll see what he looks like.

Unless the betting lines disagree with me, but I think Carwin has to be the favorite.

Unless the line of thinking is "He was moderately successful in the UFC" (and it was moderate success, he has two top 10 wins against notably fragile fighters), and that trumps all other factors, then I wouldn't have Carwin as a favorite at all. Carwin retired years ago because of a ton of injuries including a bad back. He hasn't fought in 5 years, and that fight came off the back of a one year layoff. He is about as damaged goods as damaged goods can come.

In fact, he is facing a man who is, imo, the runaway favorite with Jiri Prochazka gone in Aliakbari. I think Aliakbari throws Carwin around and Carwin taps to strikes in 3 minutes or less. I don't think it's a contest, BAD BACK JACK CARWIN is coming back in a cynical bid for money, not because he's healed up and wants one more shot at the big time at 41 years old

James Thompson Vs Chris Barnett would be a cool alternate fight for the GP

I like the bracket setup. Going with Amir. Cro Cop is second choice pick.

Unless the line of thinking is "He was moderately successful in the UFC" (and it was moderate success, he has two top 10 wins against notably fragile fighters), and that trumps all other factors, then I wouldn't have Carwin as a favorite at all. Carwin retired years ago because of a ton of injuries including a bad back. He hasn't fought in 5 years, and that fight came off the back of a one year layoff. He is about as damaged goods as damaged goods can come.

In fact, he is facing a man who is, imo, the runaway favorite with Jiri Prochazka gone in Aliakbari. I think Aliakbari throws Carwin around and Carwin taps to strikes in 3 minutes or less. I don't think it's a contest, BAD BACK JACK CARWIN is coming back in a cynical bid for money, not because he's healed up and wants one more shot at the big time at 41 years old

I think Amir has the potential to win for sure, and Carwin could very well just be back for a payday, but those are just assumptions and may not have any basis in reality. Carwin is a former UFC interim champ, he fought at the highest levels, and he almost beat Brock for the full title until his gas tank shit the bed.

This is not "moderate success":

KOonFxQ.jpg

It's not just about money. Carwin already had a great job and life. I think he had a lot of pressure from his family to retire besides the injuries. From what I gather, he got a lukewarm resposnse from the ufc heads. Bellator would have paid him the most, but he didn't feel wanted there either. He said that rizin really wanted him. This is not some meathead going through the motions of fighting near the end of a career because he doesn't know what else to do in life. I'm convinced he really wants to fight.

Going into this I still think he has his chin, experience and hands that hit like a rock truck. I think he has a decent chance of beating amir.

I think Amir has the potential to win for sure, and Carwin could very well just be back for a payday, but those are just assumptions and may not have any basis in reality. Carwin is a former UFC interim champ, he fought at the highest levels, and he almost beat Brock for the full title until his gas tank shit the bed.

KOonFxQ.jpg

I can't list Carwin as even a top 3 favourite given all of the factors stated (age, injuries, layoff, bad cardio, etc.). You add in the fact he will have to potentially face three opponents in order to win and do it in a ring environment....I just don't see it happening.

I can't list Carwin as even a top 3 favourite given all of the factors stated (age, injuries, layoff, bad cardio, etc.). You add in the fact he will have to potentially face three opponents in order to win and do it in a ring environment....I just don't see it happening.
Who do you think are the top3 favorites?

Also, there wont be 3 fights at the same night. The semi-finals and final will be on the same night with a day off from the quarter-finals. Not to mention there is only 2x5 minute rounds for everything except the final I think, which obviously helps a guy like Carwin whos biggest flaw always seemed to be his cardio. Not to mention that finishing your opponent fast is huge in GP like this. You make it sound like the Ring and GP format is a bad thing from Carwin when pretty much everything except his lack of experience in the ring/gp format seems to be to his advantage based on his style of fighting.

Cro Cop and Wanderlei are the same age pretty much, especially if add in fight mileage, and this comeback doesnt seem that rushed from Carwin either so I don't see why you are so hard on him. The rest of the field is not that impressive except Amir Aliakbari who is somewhat of darkhorse, we don't really know how good he is since is most likely improving rapidly every day. But who knows, it is a GP where everything could happen after all.

KOonFxQ.jpg

It is assumptions, but they're ones with merit.

Carwin IS a former interim champion, fought at the highest levels is debatable tho. It's generally understood that the Strikeforce heavyweight division was superior to the UFC's, and this was 2010, arguably the UFC heavyweight division at it's weakest, and even then, he only beat Gabriel Gonzaga, a man finished by Fabricio Werdum two times, and Frank Mir, a man finished by anyone you can think of 3 times. Carwin is a curious figure in that, despite not really achieving much (UFC interim champion because Brock Lesnar was injured for a long time doesn't really count for much to me, he has two top 10 wins), he was involved in the big fight with the big fighter at a big event at a time where the UFC needed divisive fighters in their midst.

If Carwin is a favorite in the tournament, i think that it's based on the fact that he fought and had success in the UFC, i say the same thing about people who think Cro Cop is a favorite, he's a favorite because he fought and had success in PRIDE. People recognize these fighters, and don't recognize the others, and that has lead them to favor them, but the reality is that Cro Cop is shopworn and BAD BACK JACK CARWIN hasn't fought in 5 years because his back is broken. Not was, is.

GO MOLDAVSKY! Why everyone forgetting about this guy?

I think he's the darkhorse for sure. Moldavsky looked fantastic against Albrektesson, it just depends on how Aliakbari is on night 2 (Assuming Aliakbari beats Carwin, which i think he does). Moldavsky doesn't seem to have the gassing issue that Nemkov had, and i'd be delighted if Moldavsky won, but Aliakbari's pedigree is selling me pretty hard.

So Sakakibara just made the following official (opening a new thread since it's not a rumor anymore):

12/29 card:

A: Cro Cop vs Wand
B: TK vs Baruto
C: Aliakbari vs Carwin
D: Moldavski vs Bajor

12/31 card:

Semifinal 1: Winner A vs Winner B
Semifinal 2: Winner C vs Winner D

Final

No alternates or alternate fights announced.

No date set:
Kron Gracie vs Tatsuya Kawajiri
Charles Bennett vs Minoru Kimura
Erson/Asen Yamamoto vs Hideo Tokoro
Miyuu Yamamoto vs Andy Nguyen
Kanako Murata vs TBA
Kanna Asakura vs TBA
RENA vs TBA

More fights will be announced in a press conference next week.

Edit:

link to card: http://www.rizinff.com/en/rizin-fig...-2016-2nd-round-final-round-scheduled-fighter

brackets:

how do you see this fights

how do you see this fights

RIZIN has a deal with eversport.tv, HD stream with English commentary. Plus depending on where you live, local stations might show the card if one of their fighters is on (last event was shown on Croatian, Chech, Brasilian and Polish tv for example). Eversport blocks their stream for those countries.

my mma life start with ufc,,,, then i moved to pride ,,,, then to k1 shock wave wave was so next generation,, so sad how pride ended ufc dominated ,,,, so my wishes go for rizen ,,, to return balance to mma

Back