Ring To Cage safety strap gel training glove review

ironwolf

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

This review will be about my R2C safety strap gel training gloves, Ill talk about the pros and cons of these gloves as well as my personal experiences and opinions of different aspects of this glove.

I will do my pros and cons first

+they look awesome
+quality is great
+true to weight (16oz)
+really absorb shock
+leather seems to be nice
+great liner
+extremely comfortable "out of the box"

-the elastic of the "safety strap" will wear out with use/sweat
-some rough cutting of the leather in some places
-they have some "glove flop"
-wrist support is.....not really there
-cuff lays flat so they will skank out if you arent careful

This is an interesting glove and while I like it, there are some things I hope will get updated when a new model comes out. The "safety strap": well I'm not sure how its safe but a quick browse through of the R2C website you will see he likes to use the word "safety" in about 80% of the products. The wrist strap is an interesting idea but I find even with this, the gloves does lack wrist support as has been mentioned in some other peoples reviews (not of this glove, but other r2c gloves). I also find that it can be hard to get on, not impossible but not as easy as some other gloves ESPECIALLY after you have shadow boxed a bit and you hands are a bit damp. The lining does a great job of wicking away sweat but with the wrist of this glove, you HAVE TO make sure you find a way to prop them open or they will close and slow down the drying process. I have had gloves like this before and you MUST do this or they will skank out sooner than they should. ALso regarding the wrist, the gloves have some flop and this is probably because of the gel used in the front of the glove.

Thats my complaint about this glove...the wrist. Other than this, the rest of this review will be largely positive. Dont get me wrong, this is a great glove and for 90 bucks its a solid deal but the wrist is a bit of a disappointment, Now to be fair, I am always looking for the next best thing in wrist support so I have to say, if you have a bum wrist or like extra support, this glove isnt it. WHen I put this glove on and tighten the wrist straps properly, I can still get A LOT of movement in my wrist. THis led to a pretty bad wrist injury my first time out with these, now I wont blame the glove for this, but the glove did nothing to prevent this.

On to the good stuff.

They look awesome and they feel great. The color/paint on this glove is good, I cant really find any imperfections in the paint at all, there are some loose threads and poor cutting in some areas though. Like I said earlier, these gloves feel great right away, the hand compartment isnt overly tight, but it isnt loose and my hand fits in well when wrapped but again, because of the liner, my hand dosent really "slide" in when its wrapped up, I have to sort of stuff it in then straighten things out. This also brings me right back to the wrist support which can be really hard to get closed up properly when you have one hand gloved up already. For sparring, these are fine, for mitt and pad work, they are pretty good and for heavy bag they are also good, so a good all around glove.

Theres nothing really outstanding about these gloves and the wrist sucks, I like them but I have t repeat, the wrist just isnt great. I understand that wrist protection comes from wrapping and proper technique before the glove should be relied on but THis needs to be said, the wrist support on these just isnt good. My basic Fairtex gloves offer about 10x the wrist protection of these.

I like everythig about these gloves EXCEPT the wrist so I would give them 6.5-7/10 so 65-70% out of 100, I really feel the cuff takes that much away from these.

Iron u should try the regular 360 wrist strap deluxe model if u read my review i felt the wrist was a ton better

Its nothing ground breaking but it would be on par with every hook and loop

Good review, man. Gel gloves in general just seem to have crap wrist support. I pretty much had to stop using my TITLE Gels because, even though they were nice, they had no real wrist support and flopped at the wrist.

Speaking of this "Safety" strap nonsense, I honestly think a lot of Western brands don't understand what makes a glove supportive. The velcro straps are secondary--it's the firmness of the cuff and a sturdy one piece design that keeps your wrist from bending that contributes to good support. The Tokushus are the only glove that I've seen in a long time that has made me say, "They (Hayabusa) get it." Thai gloves, like Boon and Windy, also offer better than average support because of how sturdy they are.

Hey my custom winnings have stellar wrist, and it relies on the Velcro ;)

Good review, man. Gel gloves in general just seem to have crap wrist support. I pretty much had to stop using my TITLE Gels because, even though they were nice, they had no real wrist support and flopped at the wrist.

Speaking of this "Safety" strap nonsense, I honestly think a lot of Western brands don't understand what makes a glove supportive. The velcro straps are secondary--it's the firmness of the cuff and a sturdy one piece design that keeps your wrist from bending that contributes to good support. The Tokushus are the only glove that I've seen in a long time that has made me say, "They (Hayabusa) get it." Thai gloves, like Boon and Windy, also offer better than average support because of how sturdy they are.

Sometimes with Windy though the cuff is too wide for people who have thin wrists, so the wrist support ends up being just average or below average. The Tokushus really do have great wrist support. Best wrist support in any glove I've owned, second being Grants lace-ups

Damn Minow, you know I believe in spending money on gloves but Grant is just outright ridiculous hehe.

Doesnt mean they dont have good wrist support! Their best feature. Not especially good gloves other than that and the fact they're well made albeit not for the asking price.

You could always go custom winning like I did ;) Lots of wrist support hehe

With WINNING it's all about the flawless hand protection anyway. I haven't had the privelage of owning a pair but I'm in no rush. When I finally do get a pair I'm scratching that shit off my bucket list for sure lol.

You could try the Grant Super Bag Gloves, Strat. It's been a few years since I've used them, but they're still "reasonably" priced at only $299. I think that's for red or black only, but it's a deal compared to some of their other custom gloves ($600 ortho gloves? Really).

yeah man but for 300 I could go custom winning in a lower oz or I can get 2 sets of Bills gloves!

Back