Ring to Cage C-17 Review

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
Welcome to all, and let me just go guns blazing into this review. For $100 you will NOT find another glove that is better straight out of the box. I just received this glove today, so it has not been battle test long term. But short term, I feel these gloves will impress those on a budget, and those not on a budget!

I ordered these gloves based on my good friend Clamp (a resident of Sherdog) constant praise of Ring to Cage. Long story short he and his friend sent in a pair of old Winnings to Moshin, and he came up with his own version of a Japanese style training glove. They can be found here: http://www.ringtocage.com/Custom-Gear-In-Stock_c53.htm

Company is based out of New Jersey, and Moshin is the go to guy regarding any questions Ring to cage.

What can I say? These are the most impressive gloves I have EVER bought that were below $100. I know I mentioned this in my opener but this I feel needs to be beat into people's heads that not all quality gloves need to cost $150, or even $300.

That being said, these gloves are limited to the under $100 range, their normal price will be $129. I don't have any idea when the price will be "Normalized."
Another thing to keep in mind is there is a restriction to 16oz Lace-ups only.

Enough back story, enough jabbering, its review time!

The Look:

I went with the "Recommended by Clamp" Blue. I apologize for my iPhone washing out some of the pictures. But the pictures where the flash is used, is the REAL color of the gloves. They are really nice. The leather has that in your face leather smell, which everyone enjoys.

The Feel:

The Cow-hide leather is soft to the touch, and is supple. The padding is pretty soft in its own right. HOWEVER, your knuckles do NOT break through as they would on a Reyes. The padding absorbs and disperses shock better than most high end gloves. The stitching (see pictures below) is absolutely flawless, again you will never see this on an under $100 glove, $150+ glove yes. So this is definitely ground breaking for the quality of padding used, the soft cowhide, and the pretty Blue. The glove is smooth all the way around, inside and out there are no rough edges. The liner is awesome. Its not bulky, and its hugs the inside of the glove instead of being somewhat loose like other glove makers do at times. Also seen on the picture, you notice it is double stitched. I truly believe this is the under $100 dollar "Crown Jewel" glove. Those with sweaty hands will appreciate the dry-max liner or whatever they call it these days.

My hand sits in the glove, it isn't snug, but at the same time it doesn't move around either like in my Reyes glove. So people with large hands, no worries, this glove I would say is a one size fits most.
Those with small hands such as myself, same applies.

The thumb is a bit stiff, I feel the placement is in a desirable location, but it isn't the MOST ideal.

Easy to make fist, Pretty darn broken in! They aren't like my Rival Guerrero pros, those are ridiculous when it comes to being broken in, but these R2C C17s are like a solid 8.5/10 when it comes to being broken in! The glove is much more of a "C" shape than what I'm used to getting, so making a fist is very, very, easy, and landing on the knuckles also comes easy.

The Padding:

The padding is soft, knuckles do not break through, and on my Title Gel bag, I was still able to generate the much desired pop. I was truly shocked with how much the padding was able to absorb and disperse. Those with Fragile hands and on a budget look no further!

I like the padding, I hate when gloves have 378463294 inches of padding, I cant tell what the heck Im hitting, or how Im hitting. This padding is pure quality, and efficiency.

The Label:

The Print is HUGE. See pics. I mean even Helen Keller could see that you were wearing Ring to Cage Gloves. I like the subtle embroidered patch on the bottom of the cuff it made me chuckle. you have this in your face logo on your glove then this tiny little square that says hi, you are still wearing ring to cage.

The Cuff:

The Cuff, is different to me. I've owned Single, and triple cuffs, but this is my 1st double. It shares the same consistency of the gloves padding, so its pretty soft as well. Those with short arms will come to love this cuff as show on the pictures it is short/stout. So it wont creep half way on your forearm like some of the other gloves on the market do.

The Price:
This is where the glove will make up a lot of ground on expensive and cheap gloves alike. The protection is excellent, the padding is pure quality, the broken-in ness is there, the colors are beautiful, the stitching is flawless. But the Price is only $99.99... What the F...? Let me beat it in your brain, these gloves are some of the BEST gloves period. These are the BEST gloves for under $100. I hear all this crap how ringside IMF is supposedly one of the best gloves, yeah those don't have crap on these gloves.

Overall:
Clamp was telling the truth the whole time, he isn't swayed because he has 1 gazillion R2C items to include underwear. These gloves are the BEST buy for those on a budget, they contend with some of the Biggest names out there. If you read my reviews you know I think Reyes and Winning are the best when it comes to craftsmanship, but these are right up there. Protection wise they are probably in the top 3 in my book. I feel the price is the biggest selling point to this glove. These are great gloves and they are staying as "Keepers" in my collection. That's how much I like them.

Score: A+ or 96%: and here's the reason why, I know this will start up a major uproar with "WAAAAAAAAH winnings are the best!" The key factor is this the price is just too good to pass up. It really is. I mean I'm even impressed and everyone knows I love my Reyes. But Moshin is doing something right here folks. GREAT quality gloves at a fraction of the price. And there's no insane shipping cost, or handling cost here. Its that simple.
Are these equal to winnings? No, in my opinion they aren't but you know what, you don't have to pay what winning is asking for. So you say, "Ha! in your face StRat." But really is an 5-8% difference really worth more than $150+ , then factor in shipping and whatever else? In my opinion I'd just settle for these and call it a day. if you have $280 bucks to throw away for that difference, do it. Im not saying these are better than winnings, if you are taking that way you misunderstand this whole review, and score. So go kill yourself now, respawn, and re-read.

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
Excellent stitching, no frays as seen here on pic, double stitched
5rzk.jpg
fo1q.jpg

Lots of Padding, soft padding absorbs and disperses shock better than Almost every high end glove that I own without being Pillowy, or overly huge.
My hand is actually in the glove, the curvature of the glove is very, very, very natural as well. Easy to open glove. Easy to make a solid fist. Outstanding Protection!
Thumb is a little bit stiff, My thumb is short and fits perfectly, I have about 1/2 inch moving room, so my thumb isn't choked. That being said, those with extra long thumbs may run into problems.
n3b4.jpg

upu8.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait for the full review...man your pockets must be deep these days! My eyes await the white text to go along with the pictures in this review.

Man you have a shit ton of gear i see like five other reviews on gear from you. Deep pockts you got.

Yeah, I have my keepers. And I have 0 bills lol.

Love the look of those gloves!!!! Excellent review. I need to get on the ball and order a pair. Just cant decide which color.

I know you wouldn't like this Strato, but cutting off the thumb attachment would fix your stiff thumb. You'll like them even more.

Great review, just read it. Great work as always. What does your wife say about the inflow of new gear as of late? She might be thinking her christmas present better be a silver unicorn or something :p. Great review. I actually thought these would have taken the score crown away from your gold BBs.

I love that color. It pops! Nice review bud. That was fast. Really fast!

Lol shes like wtf?! Bills gloves and these are different. I think the price on the c17s will attract the masses. The c17s will appeal to everyone imo. I think it would be extremely close if i customized these

Lol shes like wtf?! Bills gloves and these are different. I think the price on the c17s will attract the masses. The c17s will appeal to everyone imo. I think it would be extremely close if i customized these

Oh good point i forgot the customization aspect of it. Either way, your wife is awesome to let this slide! I agree that these will likely attract the masses...I think he should keep them at this price point and not raise them into the realm of 130 and such where even if the protection is better, the status and branding power of Reyes and stuff will be hard to compete against to the masses (many of whom buy for name brand than for performance)

Yeah although I wouldn't know what I would get changed other than the logo and maybe size.

I think they will compete against the big companies just fine. Even at $130 they offer better protection than Reyes.

They are much cheaper than winning.

And IMO title and ringside cant compete w these c17s.

At 130 it's fair but at 99 they are a steal!

Fair assessment, all i'd change is the logo and diversify the sizes available as well, maybe 10-16 oz sizes. However, we don't know what the future holds for Moshin, he may very well do this.

These are batch 1 so I will keep posting to see how they hold up. :icon_chee

Hey you just reminded me, did the custom R2C's come in yet with these gloves? Don't hide them from us if they did!

I wish they had these in 10oz I'd definitely buy some. Also, I like how they refer Winning as "Japan's high priced boxing glove" xD

Back