Ring To Cage Belly Pad & Thigh Guard Combo Review!

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Ring To Cage Belly & Thigh Pad Combo

From Ringtocage.com:

Unique belly and thigh protection system.
Set includes one belly pad and a pair of thigh pads.
Designed to allow mobility for sparring.
Thigh guards attach to belly pad strap and curved to fit legs.
Belly pad can be used with or without thigh guards.

Price:

$145.00 + Shipping (I got them for $100.00 at the UFC Expo)

Salutations readers! I have another RTC product to review for your enjoyment but first I'll give you guys a bit of background about how I got the pads. I actually picked these up at the UFC Expo a while back along with some Thai pads and other pieces of equipment from RTC's booth. This combo normally retails for $145.00 online plus shipping but I was able to nab them for only $100.00 on the last day of the show from Mohsin the owner. CSI has the same set up online and I was actually going to order from them after my trip, but to my surprise Mohsin just happened to bring a set along as a demo product so I was able pick them up right then and there and even got to open up a wholesale account. Now on to the Review!

The quality is exactly what you would expect from RTC. Good materials, good craftsmanship, and made to last. What I was surprised to find out when I talked to Mohsin was that these pads are made of synthetic leather on top and canvas on the underside! You will not believe how good these look and how strong they feel for being synthetic leather. It feels better than most real leather used by other companies. If he hadn't told me I would never have guessed. The combo comes in 3 pieces. 2 thigh guards and 1 belly guard. The 2 thigh pieces hook onto the belly guard by Velcro and has 2 straps that go around the thighs.

One thing I noticed right off the bat about these pads were how thick and protective they tried to make them. They're thick! They feel like little Thai pads on your thighs. On top of that there is a layer of gel padding (the green sections are gel). The belly padding works pretty well for absorbing punches, knees, and teeps. They wouldn't be my first choice design wise but for what they were intended to do they actually feel pretty good. I liked using this set up with Thai pads but found that boxing mitts where ideal for what I was teaching. Don't mistake these for kick shields and go into it thinking you're gonna take or give full power kicks without feeling a damn thing because that is not the case. They can take a very good low kick but you'll still feel some of the impact of the blow. Don't get me wrong they soften the blow a lot but these aren't something you would want to use for hours at a time. I found these pads very useful for practicing punching to low kick techniques, for working combinations with 2 people at the same time, and one of the best ways for my students to find their range and get use to hitting someone without sparring.

I have a couple issues with these pads. One of them is that they take time to put on and adjust and that I couldn't use the thigh pads by themselves. I needed to hook them onto the sides of the belly pad which takes away the ease of holding for body hooks. I also found that sometimes I would move around throwing kicks and the pads would shift (but I realized that it only happened when I used them due to my thunder thighs). I think if RTC redesigned the combo pads where it was the standard Muay Thai Belly pad and a separate triple elastic strapped thigh guard it would have made more sense IMO, but for what these are and how they were designed they work for their intended purpose.

So on to the big question. Are these useful and could I recommend these to other people? Yes I can (unlike their Cobra Shield). I found that it very useful for my class. It took a bit of adjusting on my end but once I got it down I really liked that I could hold my air mitts to save my shoulders and still teach roundhouses, teeps, and knees. What you see is what you get with these puppies, 3 pieces of equipment that isn't gonna be for everyone but for those who give it a try will find that it is very useful and very easy to use.

Final Score: 9/10 -1 for not being able to use the thigh guards separative.

For those who don't like to read:

+Great craftsmanship
+Gel Lining
+Strong Velcro
+Easy to Use
+/- Very Good Synthetic Leather
-Can't use Thigh Guards Without Belly Pad
-Takes Time to Put on
-Can Shift During Activity

You can buy this and other gear from Ring to Cage Fight Gear

Pictures:
100_0888.jpg

100_0889.jpg

100_0890.jpg

100_0891.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0894.jpg

Last edited:
Great review.

I've been wanting to check these out (or at least hear someone else's opinion on them). Still going to wait until that big thigh-pad from Fairtex comes out later in the year before I buy, but will definitely keep these in mind!

Dude, you are PUMPIN out these reviews! Ring-to-Cage is seriously on my "DO-WANT" list of MMA gear since I've been reading nothing but good things from your reviews. Looking forward to pics.

Thanks guys I've been meaning to do a lot of reviews I've been lagging on. I will upload pictures soon. I had to take my sisters out for candy lol.

Thanks guys I've been meaning to do a lot of reviews I've been lagging on. I will upload pictures soon. I had to take my sisters out for candy lol.

Haha, yeah, life happens. The site should've been done today, but there's still so much more. LOL

Another outstanding review! Great information and photos. Those thigh pads look fairly stout for their intended use. They look more well padded than the ones CSI has on their rig, if I recall correctly. What is your opinion of the belly pad, size wise? It looks smaller than a conventional one. Is that a plus or minus when paired with the thigh pads?

:icon_chee

Good eye ECS! Yes they're smaller than a traditional belly pad and the hitter does have to focus more on the green. I wish it was a different design but it works well especially paired with the thigh guards. It's not that big of a deal size wise but I would have preferred a bigger one.

so is it pretty simple to put these on yourself or do you need assistance??

It's pretty simple to put it on yourself. I didn't have trouble once I found out my adjustments.

Hey, just a heads up. They are selling through ebay now and every once in awhile put some stuff up for bid. was able to get the thai pads for $50. Talked to Mohsin about some other products and is a very helpful guy. Told him about trying to make a small gym in my basement not only for myself but for my nephew who fights and some of his teamates and he said he would help in any way he could.

couldn't you get a seperate "belt" and hook the thigh pads to that and use it without the belly pad??

also, other than it shifting, do you feel limited in mobility??

I don't feel any limits in mobility. I haven't even thought about just using a belt but I might try that out and put the traditional belly pad over it. Thanks for the great idea bud.

like me know how that idea goes...so is it heavy??

It's not heavy at all. It feels as heavy as a single Thai pad strapped to your leg lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back