ridiculous

Mat Hamm

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
o.k., the ego indiana grappling tournament is coming up, but no leg locks allowed. wtf? can someone explain to me what it is with bjj and leglocks? yeah, if u don't tap they're dangerous, but so are armbars, kimuras, etc.

o.k., the ego indiana grappling tournament is coming up, but no leg locks allowed. wtf? can someone explain to me what it is with bjj and leglocks? yeah, if u don't tap they're dangerous, but so are armbars, kimuras, etc.

With kimuras, armbars, key locks you feel pain before injury occurs giving you time to tap. With heel hooks, toe holds, knee bars, you feel pain AS injury is occurring. The theory is that an inexperienced grappler does not know when they are in danger, and only go by feel. Outlawing leg locks for inexperienced grapplers is smart in my opinion, helps minimize unecessary injuries.

the main thought around here is that serious damage occurs with a kneebar and heelhook before you have time to tap, ie by the time you are feeling the pressure some serious damage could have been done....not being a doctor or sports science major I wouldn't know how accurate that thought is.

With kimuras, armbars, key locks you feel pain before injury occurs giving you time to tap. With heel hooks, toe holds, knee bars, you feel pain AS injury is occurring. The theory is that an inexperienced grappler does not know when they are in danger, and only go by feel. Outlawing leg locks for inexperienced grapplers is smart in my opinion, helps minimize unecessary injuries.

Agreed.

+1...."minimize unecessary injuries"

A few weeks ago I had a higher belt demonstrate a heel hook on me prior to practice starting......I put that up there with the gooseneck as crap I don't want to ever feel again.

A few weeks ago I had a higher belt demonstrate a heel hook on me prior to practice starting......I put that up there with the gooseneck as crap I don't want to ever feel again.

Yes, the heel hook is the scariest submission for me. I hate how quickly it can damage the knee. If it's even close to being locked in I tap. At least with the toe hold and knee bar I can feel when I'm in danger, but the heel hook just comes on so fast...:icon_sad:

Yes, the heel hook is the scariest submission for me. I hate how quickly it can damage the knee. If it's even close to being locked in I tap. At least with the toe hold and knee bar I can feel when I'm in danger, but the heel hook just comes on so fast...:icon_sad:

I've been training for about 6 months now, and we really haven't trained any leg locks yet. So it was all new to me. I can see what the hype is about though, because that was PAINFUL. I haven't experience the fun of the kneebar yet, but I am sure that will come pretty soon too. :D

With the kneebar you just feel trapped with pressure on your knee and hamstring (I'm inflexible). You've just gotta be smart enough to tap before damage/pain occurs. Also, if the heel hook was painful for you, you're lucky you didn't get hurt.

Yeah, it was not too smart and I admit it was stupid, but it was one of those deals where your curiosity gets the better of you. He was pretty gentle when he rolled my foot over, but it was still painful.

just for safety reasons that's all...

I had a buddy compete in the EGO tournament down in Kentucky and I was curious so I looked at the rules. From what I saw then (and can remember) leg locks are illegal-and it specifically says inside toe holds are illegal (so does that mean that outside toeholds ARE legal?) and the rules mentioned nothing whatsoever about neck cranks.

Most of the tournaments I've been in allowed straight leg and ankle locks (knee bars, ankle locks) but no twisting locks. Some allowed toeholds, but the general rule has always been no heelhooks.

Sorry, but i'm not so expert at the designation, but is the toehold the one in which u put the heel in the inside of ur elbow against ur bicep and lift ?

Man even while practicing that stuff scares me.

It's very dangerous and the TS is very misinformed.

i'll fucking tap before it's on with the heelhook. kneebar is a little less scary but i thought i was in no danger one time but real quick tweaked my knee before i knew it.

also, once when i got heelhooked real fast, i was so fucked, before i could even think of tapping i just started the spin out like a tasmanian devil and the guy is going nice escape and i'm just so happy my already fucked knee didn't blow!

anyone see the last cage rage where jean silva got fucked up with the reverse heelhook? ouch!

Back