Rickson Gracie FAQ

We hear a lot about Rickson's point of view of fighting sakuraba but did sakuraba even want to fight ricksons?

I agree with what it says in global training report that the next great gracie will probably come in 1 or 2 generations.

We hear a lot about Rickson's point of view of fighting sakuraba but did sakuraba even want to fight ricksons?

I agree with what it says in global training report that the next great gracie will probably come in 1 or 2 generations.

I think I remember some sort of tongue in cheek comment by Sakuraba making fun of Rickson for fighting shit competition, but I could be wrong.

Considering that Sakuraba fought a rising Crocop, I doubt he would be scared of Rickson...or have much of a choice.

Rickson had a lot more to lose by fighting Sakuraba than the other way around.

How was Rockson's jiu-jitsu?

First I would like to commend DK for an outstanding post.
Second, I rolled with Rockson MANY times and his game was tight. I was considerably heavier and stronger and he would tool me. I did a seminar with him and Rickson in Atlantic City or Baltimore back in 98-99(can't remember exactly) but Rockson and I were in the gym office when him and I had a nice roll. It started out just messing around on the couch and we ended up rolling all over the office. There was someone there filming this too. Would love to have this footage. I can go on with more stories, but I will not in order not to hijack this thread.
I knew Rockson on a personal level and can verify that his passing away affected all that were close to him. Unimaginable what it did to Rickson and Kim. It was because of Rockson that I was privileged to be around Rickson.
One note to add about Rockson was that he was a Clavin Klein model. He had a huge ad on Sunset blvd and I think Times Square. Rockson travelled to New York often for modeling.
Just thought I would contribute to this thread with some first hand knowledge.
Twenty first century warrior!

Second, I rolled with Rockson MANY times and his game was tight. I was considerably heavier and stronger and he would tool me. I did a seminar with him and Rickson in Atlantic City or Baltimore back in 98-99(can't remember exactly) but Rockson and I were in the gym office when him and I had a nice roll. It started out just messing around on the couch and we ended up rolling all over the office. There was someone there filming this too. Would love to have this footage. I can go on with more stories, but I will not in order not to hijack this thread.
I knew Rockson on a personal level and can verify that his passing away affected all that were close to him. Unimaginable what it did to Rickson and Kim. It was because of Rockson that I was privileged to be around Rickson.
One note to add about Rockson was that he was a Clavin Klein model. He had a huge ad on Sunset blvd and I think Times Square. Rockson travelled to New York often for modeling.

Thanks for the post.

39211280374d11e2a5cd22000a1fb0b0_7.jpg

I noticed you ended your message with twenty first century warrior. What was the meaning/reason of the tattoo twenty first century warrior?

Something people might not know about rockson.
Rockson won:
1998 blue adult rooster weight pan ams
1999 purple adult rooster weight pan ams
2000 purple adult Light feather pan ams

It would have been interesting to see how far he would have gone in the sport.

My guess is he was to be the next Gracie to carry the flag into the next century.

Kron announced he's going into MMA so I believe that the next generation is coming up mighty fast. Let's hope he can represent the family with dignity, since Rolles, Roger, haven't done a stellar job so far

Yes, you are correct. BJJ has evolved through times, absorbing whatever would work. True Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is really the principle of closing the distance, controlling your opponent and ending the fight by disabling your opponent by crippling or unconsciousness while not giving your opponent any chance to hurt you. Any technique through which this principle can be applied can and will be used in BJJ for self defense.

Rolls was the first to actively seek cross-training in other grappling arts, but many popular moves were rediscovered and reabsorbed through the times. Two famous examples are the triangle choke, which was not passed on to Carlos and was instead learned from a Judo challenger, and the Ezekiel choke, which was developed by a judoka called Ezequiel to be used against the BJJ guys in the guard, and was subsequently absorbed into Jiu Jitsu.

You can not unlearn something. Every new thing shown is something in the arsenal.

u know alot of bjj history dude. I think we can add to this list "americana", Rolls learned from his american wrestler friend Bob (forgot the last name) and Kimura.

Hopefully Kron has a good career. I hope he can make some noise in the UFC.

u know alot of bjj history dude. I think we can add to this list "americana", Rolls learned from his american wrestler friend Bob (forgot the last name) and Kimura.

Bob Anderson.

i may not like rickson that much and he seems to arrogant to me and a lot of biased pride and still a bit delusional that he feels his family is still undefeated but I got to agree in his view about his pure form of bjj and this is my understanding of what he is saying(please note my opinion only) i believe that rickson views his jiujitsu in its martial art form of self defense, with that I dont think he refers to professional mma fights where everybody is trained. He is saying that in a real fight not in a sanctioned with rules fight his jiujitsu style as a defensive style is the best because it allows the practitioner not to take damage while disabling his opponent and allows the practitioner to escape the situation unharmed.

It would be interesting to know who would win between Rickson at his absolute peak vs Rolls at his peak before passing away.

@DonkeyKong

So what's it gonna take for Rickson to become a 9th degree black belt? And then 10th degree Red Belt? Is he still training to reach those levels?

I love this thread, from time to time I read it all again. Mad props to Doneky Kong and to all the guys that contributed with their anectodes.

Any word on when Rickson gets his 9th degree belt?

Kron announced he's going into MMA so I believe that the next generation is coming up mighty fast. Let's hope he can represent the family with dignity, since Rolles, Roger, haven't done a stellar job so far

He is 28 years old already. He had one fight in each of the last 3 years for a grand total of 3 in his MMA career, against absolute nobodies. His next fight is in the minor leagues against a guy who has 10 losses.

He is 28 years old already. He had one fight in each of the last 3 years for a grand total of 3 in his MMA career, against absolute nobodies. His next fight is in the minor leagues against a guy who has 10 losses.
I may end up like a retart because I'm drunk and didn't use google beforehand for checking the facts. That said, who did Khabib beat before joining the UFC? Kron has an amateur record to catch up. When he's 9 or 10-0, then we'll see. He'll be in his early 30's.

At the rate of one fight per year. He would be in his late thirties.

Back