Rich Franklin's armbar defense

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JerseyTrash, Apr 20, 2008.

1. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

Rich was pretty slick getting out of that, but watching tonight with my non-training friends kind of annoyed me. They acted like he triple backflipped out of it. In reality there's nothing wild about the escape he used. We were actually training this escape this week one night, and we did it once two weeks ago as well.

2. TsukinoKage

TsukinoKage Purple Belt

The most basic escape to an armbar, but impressive technique considering it was against a slick transition from a BJJ blackbelt. Probably happened because Lutter didn't have his knees clamped down.

3. Fwogz1

Fwogz1 Blue Belt

I was more impressed by lutter's omoplata to armbar. that was pretty slick, franklin's escape was nice but pretty basic.

4. blanko

blanko Guest

did lutter gas in the fight?

5. philthyjitsu

philthyjitsu Orange Belt

That would be an understatement.

Lutter had the armbar in deep, it was all but a done deal but I was surprised he didn't have proper control of the wrist because that escape wouldn't have worked at all if he did.

6. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Lutter didnt get his foot behind franklin's head so franklin could still move and thus turn over his shoulder and escape.

It wasn't because of wrist control or not clamping with the knees. When you cross your legs the way he did you have to get your foot behind the guy's head so he can't turn in and thus can't get onto his shoulder to be able to escape.

Also, thats not a great escape generally because you usually leave yourself open especially for omoplatas and sometimes triangles, although I will say it works well.

7. Terere**

Terere** Purple Belt

Rich looked so bad.... even after Lutter was drunk and gassed and with his hands on his waist stumbling, Rich still couldn't land any good and coordinated shots, not mentioning the JJ mauling he took from Lutter round 1

8. stlnl2

stlnl2 Blue Belt

Lutter wasnt simply gassed, he got hit with some big shots. Rich did very well against a guy that alot of people said would wreck him.

Yes Lutter was better on the ground, and it won him a 2nd place finish in last night's fight.

9. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

Very solid basic escape, Lutter should have slipped up to his hand to stop it.

though that was very tight for a second, and I'm sure rich is feeling that today....

10. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

Very solid basic escape, Lutter should have slipped up to his hand to stop it.

though that was very tight for a second, and I'm sure rich is feeling that today....

11. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

Rich doesn't throw co-ordinated shots. They are awkward and un-orthodox which is why he lands them.

Lutter is one of the better MMA BJJ guys in the 185 division. He is a BJJ black belt that can get takedowns. That is kind of rare. Rich did a pretty good job considering. His escape was nice because it showed a side of rich franklin we are not used to seeing. Sure it was a pretty basic escape but it was perfectly timed and executed. He guard was pretty decent too.

12. SFinclined

SFinclined Purple Belt

I use the hitchhiker escape all the time, I was just impressed that he did it against Lutter and with gloves on.

13. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Ya I was incredibly impressed to see that technique executed against such a high caliber opponent. Rich did look a little sloppy last night though don't really think that new camp helped him much.

14. BaconTastesGood

BaconTastesGood Blue Belt

Two pages and no slow-mo animated GIF of the escape yet?! Sheesh, I guess that's what happens when you're Rich Franklin -- no respect. :)

15. Teedoh74

Teedoh74 Black Belt

[​IMG]

16. THeels934

THeels934 Orange Belt

basic roll thru and hitchhike, but still impressive considering the situation and the opponent.

17. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Exactly my point - Lutter has to put his right foot behind rich's head to stop that escape. Otherwise, he should transition to the omoplata or triangle, which I think he tried but couldnt get it.

18. BrokenCouch

BrokenCouch Banned Banned

it was a pretty nice escape on franklins part

19. Beatdown_Videos

Beatdown_Videos Purple Belt

lutter could have done better

20. Beatdown_Videos

Beatdown_Videos Purple Belt

any bjj nuts out there explain why rich rolled over on his back in the first roll?

was he forced to roll by lutter or did he do that himself, isn't being flat on your back the worst spot you can be when getting armbared?