Ribs popped!

Dedicado

Machetero
Reaction score
My rib popped so hard today! yeeouch! I'm going to the Doctor in twenty minutes, as soon as my woman finishes folding the laundry.
I was fighting off an armbar from the bottom of side mount, I had it off pretty much and I twisted around like I usually do, to get the side myself, when pop! My ribs felt like they wanted to break the skin, right beside my top two abs, alot of pain and now it hurts to breathe deeply.
This just aint my week guys! Last friday I got a spinal adjustment, today I get injured again!
Which brings to mind the question: "Do you always go all-out when you roll, or do you take it easy on each other sometimes?"
My partner for rolling wants to slow down, to give me time to heal, I hate being a wuss, but I might do as he says for a little while....

Take a break man. See what the doctor says. He will prolly tell you to lay off it for a while. They always tell ya to lay off for a while, and it is usually alot longer than you'd like to hear. I hurt my neck a while ago and was told not to go to class for like 2 weeks atleast, but I felt alrite and I didnt wanna stop training that long so I was in class that very night. Just hear what the doctor has to say, but all in all you know your body better than anyone. Good luck.

I feel ya man.
I injured my ribs a week b4 a comp in april.
I decide to compete anyways. Within a few minutes my rib popped out again. Worst pain I've experienced apart from a pinched nerve.
Looking back on the footage it looked like I was gonna cry.
Felt like being stabbed in the lung every time i took a breath.
One dude from my club thought I'd lost my first match, cos he only saw from when the ref stepped in. The other dude jumped up straight away, and I lay there in agaony for a few more seconds.
Looking back it was a dumb move. It still feels a bit weak to this day.

slow down, fight the rookies, try to play from the top, rest.
get well and then fight at 100% again

I popped 2 ribs out of place, fractured them and tore the cartilage a couple of months ago. I took 2 weeks off and then went back to training...poor decision on my part. I still am only about 80% top. I can't do alot of things that I normally do and end up stuck in posistions that would have been easy to work through a couple months ago. They started to feel 100% again about 2 weeks ago until someone decided to pull a fucking circus open guard pass before we had even started our sparring. I would take the time you need and try to let them heal before going back.

i popped a rib aswell like about 2months ago, still hurts a little bit when i roll up in a certain position, but i mostly train passing at the moment so it's alright

Bolaojj said:
I popped 2 ribs out of place, fractured them and tore the cartilage a couple of months ago. I took 2 weeks off and then went back to training...poor decision on my part. I still am only about 80% top. I can't do alot of things that I normally do and end up stuck in posistions that would have been easy to work through a couple months ago. They started to feel 100% again about 2 weeks ago until someone decided to pull a fucking circus open guard pass before we had even started our sparring. I would take the time you need and try to let them heal before going back.
How long did it take to heal fuly?

spiderguardman said:
i popped a rib aswell like about 2months ago, still hurts a little bit when i roll up in a certain position, but i mostly train passing at the moment so it's alright
How long did you wait before rolling?

Broken rib is one of my worst injuries right next to a torn ACL. Sore neck comes in third. Don't ya jus love grapplin..

Dedicado said:
How long did it take to heal fuly?

I'll let you know when it happens...I'm going on 3 months and they are still not right. The fractures are fully healed, but the rib cartilage is taking forever to heal. It took about 2 months before they felt 100%, but the first time I took a big hit (someone falling on it) it went right back to where it was when it 1st happened. My advice is to take at least 3 or 4 weeks off and then only practice technique for another couple weeks, because no sooner to you think it is healed then you are right back to square 1. I have been doing yoga to help with stretching and flexibility and it seems to be working well. Once it starts to heal you may want to look into that as well. Good luck with it.

2om30 said:
Broken rib is one of my worst injuries right next to a torn ACL. Sore neck comes in third. Don't ya jus love grapplin..
Makes for good stories.
Can't wait until I have grand kids
"you skinned your knee? that's nothing. Back in my day..."

ClubberLange said:
Makes for good stories.
Can't wait until I have grand kids
"you skinned your knee? that's nothing. Back in my day..."

lol!!
i actually visualized it..

you will hurt for 3 or 4 weeks not more. The first 3-5 days will be anoying...

i sprained a rib on my left side on a wednesday before a two day tournament. then the first day it moved again, that was n't the worst part. the next day during the no gi part of the competition i dislocated a rib on the right side. it was one minute into the match i had an advantage and managed to hold on and keep that lead to the end. i ended up sleeping on my couch so i could sleep sitting up. that way i wouldn't twist in my sleep and pop it out again. take time off, as in longer than you want so it fully heals. i took about 5 weeks and even then rolled light when first back.

I feel ya...Ive had the same thing happen to me on each side of my ribs....every now and then if I get stacked by a big guy, I can feel that "rubber band" feeling in my ribcage....It probably wont ever go away.....doesnt help that I already have a mis-shapened rib cage, and I never went to the doc when it first happened.

I once got scarf cranked, the dude wasnt even doin it that hard, but somethin in me just folded up...its the only time I ever remember actually audibly expressing pain....I laid on the mat for a couple minutes before slinking to the wall. I was out of commission for about 3 weeks after that.

I have broken all my ribs..and popped my ribs two different times from jiu jitsu. Take your time, i say a few weeks and see what happens. The first I popped my ribs i sat out for 5 weeks, started to roll again and repopped a week later. Ribs are annonying because there is nothing you can do but rest 'em. Good Luck though!

Back