Revisting Tank Abbott vs Don Frye from back in the day…

DiazSlap

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Big fan of both guys and Tank was recently on Rampage’s podcast and was telling stories about the glory days.

His fight with The Predator was a total firefight with Don ending up with the win after RNC the Tanker.

One thing that Tank and others claim is that if Tank did not “trip” he would have finished Frye.

After watching that fight numerous times, I don’t think thats true at all. Don ate a bunch of power shots from Tank and landed some good ones of his own.

The key is that Don kept pressing forward and if you watch closely, he hits Tank with his shoulder and then pushes/presses forward causing a gassed out Tank to fall over.

Don takes Tanks back and the rest is history.

Was so glad when Don won that fight, Tank was such a fucking asshole back in the day, in and out of the cage apparently. Heard numerous stories of how he would cause bar fights pretty much all the time.

Frye Whooped And Punished Tank's ass IIRC because of Tank disrespect to the guy Tank mocked after a vicious KO in an earlier UFC battle.

A classy fighter would have just walked away after with his victory.

Don Frye would have Obliterated, EASILY, the current POS with the joke "champion" HW title.​

Big fan of both guys and Tank was recently on Rampage’s podcast and was telling stories about the glory days.

His fight with The Predator was a total firefight with Don ending up with the win after RNC the Tanker.

One thing that Tank and others claim is that if Tank did not “trip” he would have finished Frye.

After watching that fight numerous times, I don’t think thats true at all. Don ate a bunch of power shots from Tank and landed some good ones of his own.

The key is that Don kept pressing forward and if you watch closely, he hits Tank with his shoulder and then pushes/presses forward causing a gassed out Tank to fall over.

Don takes Tanks back and the rest is history.
I tend to agree -- it was close, but I feel it was a matter of time before Frye won. Tank didn't have the stamina to defeat Frye, and Frye already took his best shots (albeit not cleanly).

Was so glad when Don won that fight, Tank was such a fucking asshole back in the day, in and out of the cage apparently. Heard numerous stories of how he would cause bar fights pretty much all the time.
He was the OG bully….and even after all his health problems, he still is an arrogant old man and still thinks he never lost a fight.

I tend to agree -- it was close, but I feel it was a matter of time before Frye won. Tank didn't have the stamina to defeat Frye, and Frye already took his best shots (albeit not cleanly).
Don was an OG complete fighter…could box, wrestle and had subs too.

These days he would probably be at LHW but back in those days, Don stepped to anybody and everybody.

Don Frye was a freaking G.

Dude is pretty much crippled from all the wars he was in.

But man was he tough.
A testament to Frye's toughness is Shamrock blowing both of his knees in PRIDE, and Frye still winning the fight. He was never the same after that fight. That fight, too, is one of the most underrated wars that doesn't get a lot of pop. Real ones know.

Frye Whooped And Punished Tank's ass IIRC because of Tank disrespect to the guy Tank mocked after a vicious KO in an earlier UFC battle.

A classy fighter would have just walked away after with his victory.

Don Frye would have Obliterated, EASILY, the current POS with the joke "champion" HW title.​
Did we watch the same fight ? Don was getting dominated till tank tripped then he got finished quickly. overall don took serious damage there losing 95% of that fight

Back