Revisiting Xmen Origins: Wolverine

chrisdiaz

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After rewatching this movie, Im not sure where all the hate comes from regarding this movie. You have a lot of younger mutants getting a little screentime and a lot of Logan and Sabertooth going back and forth. Here are a list of things it did well

Postives
-The wolverine/sabertooth dynamic and why they hate each other but wont kill eachother
-The striker storyline and the ultimate doublecross to get logans DNA for weapon X
-Lots of good action and pacing, good b list mutants

The negatives are obviously the questionable CGI and some people didnt like deadpool. I dont get this complaint because prior to him dissapearing before becoming weapon x, RR acts just like he does in his solo movies as deadpool, running his mouth.

For all the trash this movie gets, it seemed like a decent film and I enjoyed watching it. It explained how logan lost his memory and got his metal skeleton. What more did people want?

The negatives are obviously the questionable CGI and some people didnt like deadpool. I dont get this complaint because prior to him dissapearing before becoming weapon x, RR acts just like he does in his solo movies as deadpool, running his mouth.

It's not that the movie was terrible, it's that it was a so-so movie that was as consistent with a popular character's story as what you do in the toilet after eating dinner at Taco Bell. People will forgive a good to great movie for being fast and loose with subject matter, but they tend to be pretty hard on a mediocre movie that crapped all over subject matter they like. This movie's treatment of Deadpool was utter garbage.

Walk until your feet bleed, then keep walking

It's not that the movie was terrible, it's that it was a so-so movie that was as consistent with a popular character's story as what you do in the toilet after eating dinner at Taco Bell. People will forgive a good to great movie for being fast and loose with subject matter, but they tend to be pretty hard on a mediocre movie that crapped all over subject matter they like. This movie's treatment of Deadpool was utter garbage.
Are you talking about wolverine or deadpool? This movie was exactly how the cartoon explained wolverine getting his powers. Maybe I missed something.

If your talking about deadpool, hes in the movie for like 5 minutes. What was he supposed to do to make him more deadpool?

at least they got Scott Adkins to do the Martial Arts for the Deadpool character (no, that wasn't Ryan Reynolds at the end)

so there's that haha

The CGI claws were atrocious too, Sabretruth was excellent in that movie though

I was watching this, xmen DOFP and logan as a wolverine trilogy and explain to my GF how he got his powers. Weve already seen the wolverine and didnt really like it.

Are you talking about wolverine or deadpool? This movie was exactly how the cartoon explained wolverine getting his powers. Maybe I missed something.

If your talking about deadpool, hes in the movie for like 5 minutes. What was he supposed to do to make him more deadpool?

Concerning Deadpool, you're right - he was in the movie for, like, five minutes total. In that five minutes they took the character and moved him in a wildly, radically different direction than he ever went in the comics and (if I can recall) they then killed him. So, they took a popular character, gave him limited screen time, changed him drastically, then wiped him out. You seriously wonder why this rubbed some people the wrong way?

I remember when this movie leaked online without the CGI being completed. Hugh Jackman compared it to a Porsche without the painting on, or something like that.

I remember when this movie leaked online without the CGI being completed. Hugh Jackman compared it to a Porsche without the painting on, or something like that.

I watched the leaked version on my laptop and it looked super weird without the cgi.

Concerning Deadpool, you're right - he was in the movie for, like, five minutes total. In that five minutes they took the character and moved him in a wildly, radically different direction than he ever went in the comics and (if I can recall) they then killed him. So, they took a popular character, gave him limited screen time, changed him drastically, then wiped him out. You seriously wonder why this rubbed some people the wrong way?
He made jokes and had his swords, Im not sure where your getting this idea he was a totally different character. I didnt see it anyway.

I remember having absolutely no desire to ever rewatch this.

It might not have been as bad as I initially thought, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

He made jokes and had his swords, Im not sure where your getting this idea he was a totally different character. I didnt see it anyway.
I'm not sure what you're playing at here. It's not like where Wade Wilson's character ended up was hidden - it was literally the big confrontation of the movie.

Weapon_XI.jpg

The guy shooting laser beams out of his eyes, who teleports around, and doesn't talk? That's where this movie decides to have Wade Wilson end up. While you say "Im not sure where your getting this idea he was a totally different character" this movie literally ends with Wade Wilson becoming a totally different character than he ever was in the comics.

Imagine if they introduced Steve Rogers as a side character in another Marvel Movie effectively teasing him, then later on they had him come back as Captain Bozo the Superclown. That would rightly piss people off and, go figure, that's what this movie did with Wade Wilson/Deadpool.

Those 2 fighting through the wars was the best scene

I'm not sure what you're playing at here. It's not like where Wade Wilson's character ended up was hidden - it was literally the big confrontation of the movie.

Weapon_XI.jpg

The guy shooting laser beams out of his eyes, who teleports around, and doesn't talk? That's where this movie decides to have Wade Wilson end up. While you say "Im not sure where your getting this idea he was a totally different character" this movie literally ends with Wade Wilson becoming a totally different character than he ever was in the comics.

Imagine if they introduced Steve Rogers as a side character in another Marvel Movie effectively teasing him, then later on they had him come back as Captain Bozo the Superclown. That would rightly piss people off and, go figure, that's what this movie did with Wade Wilson/Deadpool.
Hes supposed to be weapon X, which is a character from the comics. Deadpool was used as the experiment due to his healing ability like wolverine. They used two characters and made them into one, not the first time its been done in a superhero movie. By the time the end of the movie comes around, hes no longer deadpool and isnt supposed to be. I suppose if they just used another character it would have been ok? Hes also not finished and its specified in the movie. I just didnt see it as a big deal at all.

Hes supposed to be weapon X, which is a character from the comics. Deadpool was used as the experiment due to his healing ability like wolverine. They used two characters and made them into one, not the first time its been done in a superhero movie. By the time the end of the movie comes around, hes no longer deadpool and isnt supposed to be.

Wolverine is Weapon X. The Wade Wilson freak character is Weapon XI and I'm not even sure that character actually existed in the comics - or, at the very least, not like this, and it CERTAINLY wasn't Wade Wilson.

Bolded part below is important.

"Wade Wilson / Deadpool makes his first feature film appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, portrayed by Ryan Reynolds.[115] He is a highly skilled, wisecracking, and amoral mercenary who wields a pair of katanas with superhuman athleticism and skill sufficient to deflect fully automatic weapons fire. He is supposedly killed by Victor Creed, but is later revealed to have been transformed by Colonel William Stryker into mutant killer "Weapon XI" (stunts performed by Scott Adkins) who possesses other mutants' powers, including Scott Summers' optic blasts, John Wraith's teleportation, Wolverine's healing factor, and a pair of extendable blades resembling the character's prized swords; Stryker is able to completely control him thanks to Chris Bradley's technopathy. He is referred to by Stryker as "the Deadpool" because the compatible powers of the other mutants have been 'pooled' together into one being. Wolverine and Victor fight Deadpool in the film's climax and manage to defeat him by decapitating him and sending him falling into a cooling tower of a nuclear power plant, although a post-credits scene appearing in DVD releases and some theatrical presentations of the film implies Deadpool is still alive, as his hand is shown reaching out for his still-living head amid the rubble of the destroyed tower."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool#Film

So it's Wade Wilson, Stryker even refers to him as "the Deadpool", but it's not supposed to be deadpool?

Again, this is like having Steve Rogers show up in an MCU movie only to become Captain Bozo the Clown. They butchered this character for a quick buck. People didn't like it and the movie wasn't good enough to warrant forgiveness. The end.

Wolverine is Weapon X. The Wade Wilson freak character is Weapon XI and I'm not even sure that character actually existed in the comics - or, at the very least, not like this, and it CERTAINLY wasn't Wade Wilson.

Bolded part below is important.

"Wade Wilson / Deadpool makes his first feature film appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, portrayed by Ryan Reynolds.[115] He is a highly skilled, wisecracking, and amoral mercenary who wields a pair of katanas with superhuman athleticism and skill sufficient to deflect fully automatic weapons fire. He is supposedly killed by Victor Creed, but is later revealed to have been transformed by Colonel William Stryker into mutant killer "Weapon XI" (stunts performed by Scott Adkins) who possesses other mutants' powers, including Scott Summers' optic blasts, John Wraith's teleportation, Wolverine's healing factor, and a pair of extendable blades resembling the character's prized swords; Stryker is able to completely control him thanks to Chris Bradley's technopathy. He is referred to by Stryker as "the Deadpool" because the compatible powers of the other mutants have been 'pooled' together into one being. Wolverine and Victor fight Deadpool in the film's climax and manage to defeat him by decapitating him and sending him falling into a cooling tower of a nuclear power plant, although a post-credits scene appearing in DVD releases and some theatrical presentations of the film implies Deadpool is still alive, as his hand is shown reaching out for his still-living head amid the rubble of the destroyed tower."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool#Film

So it's Wade Wilson, Stryker even refers to him as "the Deadpool", but it's not supposed to be deadpool?

Again, this is like having Steve Rogers show up in an MCU movie only to become Captain Bozo the Clown. They butchered this character for a quick buck. People didn't like it and the movie wasn't good enough to warrant forgiveness. The end.
I just saw him as a different character who was used due to deadpools abilites. I know he could have been more fleshed out. All I was saying was for the 5 minutes we get him as deadpool (before the experiments) he acted pretty much like he did in his own movies. Maybe they were implying he wasnt actually deadpool until the end? I didnt see it that way or maybe just saw it the way I wanted to

EDIT: Thanks for actually responding instead of "herp derp your dumb" like most around here.

With exception of the end, I liked it. I just watched a video that trashed his claws, and what they did to Deadpool was terrible, but it was good otherwise. Enjoyed all the other mutants

Back